View Poll Results: Would you agree with an airline 'fat tax'?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 28.57%
  • No

10 71.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Airport 'fat tax'?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    Nicole has just told me that they are thinking of doing away with the BMI system. According to a BMI test, I am overweight, however I am fat by any stretch but I do have a stocky frame, I work out and am quite muscular, so that accounts for much of my weight. If I was weighed in, I would probably have to pay a 'fat tax' rate too, even though I don't need a seat belt extension whatsoever.
    basically bmi is rubbish, it was never intended to be used for individuals, if you want a usefull system for the measuring of obesity you use body fat % which still has its flaws, but is a much more accurate prediction than bmi.
    Last edited by funlover12; 19-08-13 at 12:27.

Blog Entries

Okay, a very sensitive topic here. I saw on the news this morning that 1 in 3 airlines are considering implementing a 'pay as you weigh' system for their passengers, as people who are overweight cost more to carry in terms of fuel consumption.

There was a discussion between two ladies regarding this issue; the lady against the 'fat tax' said touched on a point that said that people are getting bigger and airlines should tailor their aeroplanes to accommodate this, where as the other lady stated that others should not have to carry for people who don't want to eat healthy or exercise, and that if they want to live that lifestyle, it is only right that they should pay their own way in fuel costs.

The lady against the 'fat tax' system was overweight herself and the lady for it was slim, but had once been obese herself and had shed the weight by changing her lifestyle. The lady against argued that muscle is denser than fat and tall people will weigh more and take up more leg room. The lady for this tax claimed that when a larger person is walking up the aisle of the plane, everyone in single seats feel dread that they might end up sitting next to this person.

According to the Telegraph, half of Britons actually support the idea of a 'fat tax':

(article from here)

Is this discrimination or do you agree with this? Please be respectful in your comments.
    Cant see how its fair unless they have to buy a second seat. If they have to buy two seats (the argument can be made that they should have special seats for these rare cases) then it is two seats but only one and charging them more on weight is wrong imo. Another eg of the bullshit that companies are coming up with to screw people. Its like charging a disabled person more because you have disabled access etc.

Westside.

Some airlines are flirting with the idea of a combine weigth (passenger +luggage) allowance per boarding pass.
    125kg is the general idea for now I think.
    All this means is that the heavier the passenger the less luggage he can bring and vice-versa.
    I don't know what it means for thoses over 125kg, or if this will actually see the light of day, but we never know what they will come up with to squeeze their customers further....

I actually weigh 90kg, but I look about 75kg. If the combined luggage allowance would be 125kg, I guess I would only be packing underpants

I actually weigh 90kg, but I look about 75kg. If the combined luggage allowance would be 125kg, I guess I would only be packing underpants
    Would that mean people overweight would have to shed clothes to be allowed on, or would people be happy with them paying money?

Quote Originally Posted by lara View Post
    Would that mean people overweight would have to shed clothes to be allowed on, or would people be happy with them paying money?
    All joking aside, I guess this will stop people from wearing as much as they can to try and circumvent the luggage allowances.

It would mean you'd be allowed 35 kg luggage, it is better than the current setting.
    Assuming of course 125kg remains the magic number, it could well be reviewed downward.

In the states some airlines make obese people purchase 2 seats, I don't know what guidelines they use. The whole issue is a can of worms but I suspect it's something that some airlines will be considering, I can see Ryanair relishing the prospect of being able to get even more money indirectly from passengers.

Sandy x
    In memory of an awesome woman Laura Lee RIP
    It's so difficult to articulate just how much she meant. Inspirational, brave and irreplaceable - our hero.
    Please do what you can for her daughter. Deeply appreciated.
    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/glasgaelauralee

weight for an airline is critical - too much weight can actually cause air crashes!!
    however, should the leinster rugby team play a muscle tax???
    Should tall people pay a tax?
    Picking on fat people is playing on people's innate prejudices against fat or bigger people in order to exhort more money from them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fearcorcach For This Useful Post:

saoirsemac (19-08-13)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123