Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spreading the word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Lee View Post
    Thanks a million for your hard work. xx
    Hold that thanks, I forgot about the political forums. I went on one board and there was a thread about the the Swedish having the highest rape stats and I got side tracked. No reason why I can't do it now though.

Blog Entries

I've added the link to boards.ie, but don't seem to be able to add anything to the politics.ie. It might be due to lack of participation, as I haven't been on there much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Laura Lee (22-08-13)

Blog Entries

Great stuff, thanks.

If anyone has a handy link to Irish newspapers, please pm me as it's clear the anti's are keeping an eye on what we're
    discussing here.

Blog Entries

I have all the links I need now, thank you all.
    Plenty to keep me occupied over the next wee while.

I'm not sure if "The Irish Catholic" will print any of my correspondence, I mean call me cynical.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Laura Lee For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (25-08-13), Curvaceous Kate (23-08-13), milkman (24-08-13), the traveller (24-08-13), warmcome (24-08-13), zoozoozoo (23-08-13)

Reviews

The negative implications of Swedish-style Legislation are beyond apparent in States where Swedish-style Legislation is implemented and enacted (Sweden and Norway being prime examples of such States), and there is an abundance of evidence (which is not too hard to find) to substantiate and demonstrate the extent of these negative implications. However, advocates of Swedish-style Legislation (as well as elected Public Representatives whom chose to “press for Legislative Action” in this regard [Niall Collins TD is one example]) are choosing to ignore any other side of this on-going debate which doesn’t fit with their agenda or ideals.

It is also worth noting that Niall Collins TD is a member of the Joint Oireachtas Committee (Justice, Defence and Equality) whom held meetings in late 2012 and early 2013 to debate the possible introduction of Swedish-style Legislation. As I (and other members of the E-I Community) have pointed out, these hearings were conducted in a biased manner, and in a manner which only suited the agenda of advocates of Swedish-style Legislation.

In particular, I remember it being reported that Niall Collins TD suggested “imprisonment” as a punishment for “purchasers of sexual services”. This suggestion is beyond unreasonable (on a number of grounds).

Other examples of unreasonable behaviour in this regard by Deputy Collins:

When contacted by a member of the E-I Community to explain his concerns as to the negative implications which Swedish-style Legislation would impose not only upon Clients (by its nature) but also upon Independent Sex Workers themselves, Niall Collins TD refused to even acknowledge this contact, let alone respond.
    When said member of the E-I Community contacted a different TD, at least the second contact was acknowledged.

Niall Collins TD told The Irish Examiner “that the only way to tackle prostitution was to copy a Swedish model and criminalise the purchase of sex”. According to Niall Collins "In Sweden, prostitution has reportedly been reduced by 70% through legislation."
    As I have outlined on numerous occasions, Swedish-style Legislation benefits pimps and traffickers whilst placing Independent Sex Workers in jeopardy, and there is an abundance of evidence to substantiate this.
    It is also worth noting that rape has increased significantly in Sweden since the introduction of said Legislation (with Sweden having the highest rate of rape in Europe [and the second highest rate of rape in the World]).

Niall Collins TD also told The Irish Examiner “When the Oireachtas committee held its hearings on prostitution, we were told harrowing stories from these girls and young women, "All this thing about it being the oldest profession is total rubbish and such comments are made out of ignorance by people who don’t understand that these young girls and women are controlled by well-organised, sophisticated, vicious criminal networks.
    Firstly, most of the testimony to which Niall Collins TD is referring was completely fabricated to suit the agenda of advocates of Swedish-style Legislation. At no point did Niall Collins TD seek testimony from any Independent Sex Workers. Secondly, Niall Collins TD’s claim that “these young girls and women are controlled by well-organised, sophisticated, vicious criminal networks” demonstrates ignorance for three main reasons

(A)Niall Collins TD fails (or perhaps refuses) to recognise that there are male Sex Workers as well as female Sex Workers and Transgender/Transsexual Sex Workers

(B)Niall Collins TD is most likely relying on the fact that the majority of Independent Sex Workers will not “go public” to quash the claims that “all Sex Workers are trafficked, coerced etc.” and are in fact working in the Sex Industry on their own free will and are happy to continue to do so, and therefore is free to push his (and TORL’s) agenda without any resistance.

(C)As Niall Collins TD refused to conduct research to understand “the other side of the argument” (that Swedish-style Legislation is detrimental to the wellbeing of Independent Sex Workers), one has to question as to whether or not Niall Collins TD has any place within a Committee which has the right and responsibility to furnish and submit potential Legislative amendments and introductions for consideration to be implemented and enacted.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Equalizer For This Useful Post:

milkman (25-08-13), the traveller (05-09-13)

Reviews

Niall Collins was recently mouthing about the level of street workers in Limerick implying his desired law change should be implemented to sort it! Well actually, Mr Collins, (I think he is supposed to be a lawyer), solictation on the street by worker/client has been illegal here for the last 20 years! Plus the insane beyond belief recommendations of your committee will actually force more sex workers to ply their trade from the streets, creating mini Limericks all over the country and with such visibility backfirng in your mugs!
    With his views - how was he on such a committee let alone allowed to chair it?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Libertarian For This Useful Post:

Jack in the Box (04-09-13), The Equalizer (30-08-13)

11. Default

These sound like excellent ways to get the message out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123