Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veronica Guerin

Reviews

Question Veronica Guerin

i was watching a docummentary about her the other night. she was at the ancles
    of some big players in the crime world.

she got 2/3 warnings before she was executed, she said "they're not going to win"

what way do you view her, national hero or arrogant journo who stepped over the line?
    Last edited by warmcome; 30-06-13 at 14:18.

national hero and anything to the contrary is supporting those scumbags who make their money from the proceeds of serious crime and people's well being

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post

she got 2/3 warnings before she was executed, she said "they're not going to win"

what way do you view her, national hero or arrogant journo who stepped over the line?
    Stepping over the line is what journal ists should do. Unfortunately they only do so these days in this country they only do so if it means lynching some poor sex worker whose dumb enough to want a real job as well, or you know, celebrities underwear. She was a hero, but I think sometimes she died in vain.
    What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cassandra For This Useful Post:

Clyde (30-06-13), gambor (30-06-13), Irish Leigha (30-06-13)

Reviews

it wasnt her job though.she wasnt a guard, she was told several times by the paper she worked for to stop but she wouldnt, but without her things would still be very diff and it took her life to change things
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    more so a hero. Even if she was arrogant, no one had the right to take her life, for jst doing her job. It jst goes to show theres no heed on life.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by itstimenow View Post
    it wasnt her job though.she wasnt a guard, she was told several times by the paper she worked for to stop but she wouldnt, but without her things would still be very diff and it took her life to change things
    what really changed though? we have the Criminal Assets Bureau and we have
    a booming drug industry.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (30-06-13)

Reviews

she was at the Gilligan gang, cannabis was their merchandise. i think the gang were
    mistaken to think they could do that (execute her) and not spark a national outcry.

Gilligan recieved 20yrs for importing hash, unprecedented so far. i think she should have
    written about something else, and leave stopping drugs to the Gardai.
    Last edited by warmcome; 30-06-13 at 16:34.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

she was at the Gilligan gang, cannabis was their merchandise. i think the gang were
    mistaken to think they could do that (execute her) and not spark a national outcry.

Gilligan recieved 20yrs for importing hash, unprecedented so far. i think she should have
    written about something else, and leave stopping drugs to the Gardai.
    Who always handle Everything so well. No disrespect to all em in blue but...
    What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cassandra For This Useful Post:

Sancho Panza (30-06-13)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Veronica Guerin was a brave but posthumously overrated journalist. I mean, after she died, even Tony Blair jumped on the bandwagon, telling the late Sunday Independent editor Aengus Fanning that he used to read Guerin's articles every week. If you believe that, you'd probably also believe every word of the 'dodgy dossier' on Iraq's WMD's.

It seems astonishing to me that despite John Gilligan's patent connection with thuggish brutality and murder, his lengthy prison term was actually for possessing commercial quantities of cannabis, something I do not believe should even be a criminal offence. For me, it just underscores how inept and corrupt our justice system is. Indeed, as a lawyer friend once told me, the largest and most powerful gang operating in Ireland today is An Garda Síochána. (Though I didn't say it to him at the time, I do think the lads in the Law Library could give the Guards a run for their money in that respect! )
    Last edited by Sancho Panza; 30-06-13 at 19:05.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sancho Panza For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (30-06-13), warmcome (30-06-13)

Blog Entries

Nacional hero,she was fighting against or to defend her believes.
    Retired for good all together.
    Thank you all the gentlemen I met, who I'll have sweet memories of it.
    Kids, don't do anything that I wouldn't after I'm gone( the good part?) not much left Loll

Blog Entries
    Reviews

She was the bravest Irishwoman of her time.
    Mmmm-hmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast