Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same-sex Marriage Referendum For 2014

Default Same-sex Marriage Referendum For 2014

Same-sex Marriage Referendum For 2014

Quote Originally Posted by GCN.ie
    Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore says there will be a referendum on gay marriage next year.
    After the report on gay marriage from the Constitutional Convention, the Government is likely to agree to a referendum on gay marriage, and Eamonn Gilmore says it will happen next year.
    The National Lesbian and Gay Federation (NLGF) welcomes with great support the announcement by Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore TD that the government intends holding a referendum on extending equal marriage rights to same-sex couples in 2014.
    Olivia McEvoy, Chair of the NLGF, stated: "The NLGF has always asserted that the issue of marriage equality should not require a public vote as marriage is a fundamental human and civil right that should be open to all citizens of this country. However, as the government has affirmed the need for a referendum on this issue, we will firmly give our support to the campaign to secure a Yes vote on the day of the poll."
    The public polls on this issue have shown consistent and ever growing support for full marriage equality for same-sex couples.
    "We take great heart from the overwhelming vote at the Constitutional Convention last April to positively affirm the right of LGBT couples to marry under our Constitution, a result consistent with numerous public opinion surveys on the issue," McEvoy continued.
    "Twenty years ago this month we finally repealed the draconian legislation that criminalised gay people for who they loved, and it is disturbing to think that such archaic laws remained in force for so long. Ireland has been on a remarkable journey where LGBT rights are concerned but the glaring gap in denying LGBT people the right to marry the person they love still exists. Irish people are more than ready to embrace fairness and equality for LGBT people and the NLGF calls on the Irish government to finally consign this discrimination to the history books where it belongs."
    Source: click here

Will it happen? What do you think?

I hope it is legalised.
    People should have the right to dispose of themselves the way they see fit!.
    No politician or religious biggot should be allowded to decide for someone else.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10inchesandcounting For This Useful Post:

Davidgolf (25-06-13), Deven (25-06-13)

Reviews

I object to this referendum.

Why?

Because this shouldn't need a fucking referendum! Gays and lesbians have just as much right to get married, adopt children, etc as any heterosexual couple. If you don't like it, get the fuck back to the Dark Ages.
    ladiesman217: April 2009 to April 2024

Goodbye

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ladiesman217 For This Useful Post:

Deven (25-06-13)

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    I object to this referendum.

Why?

Because this shouldn't need a fucking referendum! Gays and lesbians have just as much right to get married, adopt children, etc as any heterosexual couple. If you don't like it, get the fuck back to the Dark Ages.
    Sadly you are a very catholic country and it would be political suicide for a party not to give the people a choice as you would disenfranchise a big section of voters.

The vote would pass btw, but this is a case of making it SEEN to be giving these people a say
    Last edited by Martin Mod; 25-06-13 at 12:57.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ward For This Useful Post:

ladiesman217 (25-06-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Mod View Post
    Sadly you are a very catholic country and it would be political suicide for a party not to give the people a choice as you would disenfranchise a big section of voters.

The vote would pass btw, but this is a case of making is SEEN to be giving these people a say
    Argh don't remind me. I live for the day that the fucking Catholic Church is shown the middle finger and booted out back to Rome.

Churchill: "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried"

^^ 2 reasons why I should be made emperor of the world.
    ladiesman217: April 2009 to April 2024

Goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    Argh don't remind me. I live for the day that the fucking Catholic Church is shown the middle finger and booted out back to Rome.

Churchill: "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried"

^^ 2 reasons why I should be made emperor of the world.
    Look at the Soviets...Stalin did plenty of woeful things during the Industrialisation of the country, if he had been in a democracy he would have been voted out.

Yet if that had happened, the Nazis would have rolled into Moscow in two weeks. Russia needed to change rapidly...which would have been better for the Russians?

11. Default

im ok with gay marriage but completely opposed to gays being allowed to adopt children , kids should not be used as a poltical football by the equality Nazis , they are much to precious , a lot of liberals seem determined to undermine all forms of traditionalism , as far as im concerned , the ideal environment for a child has always been to have a mom and dad while growing up , this mad dash to re=engineer society will eventually lead to serious trouble , the silent majority will eventually have enough of the idealogues and their media bedfellows

atheist btw

Quote Originally Posted by uglynakedguy View Post
    im ok with gay marriage but completely opposed to gays being allowed to adopt children , kids should not be used as a poltical football by the equality Nazis , they are much to precious , a lot of liberals seem determined to undermine all forms of traditionalism , as far as im concerned , the ideal environment for a child has always been to have a mom and dad while growing up , this mad dash to re=engineer society will eventually lead to serious trouble , the silent majority will eventually have enough of the idealogues and their media bedfellows

atheist btw
    *cough* raised by two fathers and mother... and I turned out alright (although, this is me -> )
    Last edited by lara; 25-06-13 at 14:11.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lara Mills For This Useful Post:

Deven (25-06-13), samlad (25-06-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by uglynakedguy View Post

atheist btw
    Been a good or bad parent has nothing to do with sexuality and the funny thing is that the vast vast majority of bad, neglectful or abusive parents are straight.
    The beauty of the internet is that there is always a 'close' button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast