Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama to arm Syrian Rebels

Quote Originally Posted by WatWatWat View Post
    So now we have the Russians arming the syrian army, and the americans arming the rebels. . Where have we seen this before.
    Where have we seen this scenario before?
    History is only repeating itself.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    At the risk of being labelled an Islamophilic advocate of cannibalism, let me just say that according to Amnesty International and an investigation commissioned by the UN, the Syrian Army has perpetrated the most atrocities as well as the most grievous ones. Eating the heart of a dead enemy is depraved and barbaric, but is it as bad as the systematic torture of men, women and children, including in some cases rape with bottles and sticks?
    If that's the case it's only because of the rebels have less resources. Many of the so called rebels are Saudis or even Pakistani Brits and
    Libyan Irish. I think it is pretty sick that the West should be backing Muslim fundies. A foreign mercenary does not deserve any rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone View Post
    If that's the case it's only because of the rebels have less resources. Many of the so called rebels are Saudis or even Pakistani Brits and
    Libyan Irish. I think it is pretty sick that the West should be backing Muslim fundies. A foreign mercenary does not deserve any rights.
    Here is the issue.

The government have the bigger guns. That doesn't make the rebels the 'goodies'. If they had the big weapons, have no fear, they would be massacring Allawites by the thousand
    Last edited by Martin Mod; 14-06-13 at 15:29.

Reviews

It's kinda ironic, the fact the U.S bank rolls Israel's ethic cleansing of Palestine, now they're on the side of the oppressed. You couldn't make it up.
    Last edited by AbsoluteNoob; 14-06-13 at 15:40. Reason: spelling

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Lad View Post
    At least america is doing something rather than drafting up more reports, because we all know how much the UN LOVES making reports and their favourite activity is to monitor situations even when they are already deteriorated and mass killing are happening.
    Yea because handing out weapons is soooo much better than writing a report

Blog Entries

I think Obama is trying to stop the use of chemical war fare, as this is something that could impact on other surrounding countries and have a larger impact on the world at large. At the moment they have only used very small amounts of chemical warfare, but have done so several times, knowing full well that it is not allowed. It's more of a statement than helping the rebels, as they are still at a disadvantage, as they are not giving them the weapons they need to stop the air warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    I think Obama is trying to stop the use of chemical war fare, as this is something that could impact on other surrounding countries and have a larger impact on the world at large. At the moment they have only used very small amounts of chemical warfare, but have done so several times, knowing full well that it is not allowed. It's more of a statement than helping the rebels, as they are still at a disadvantage, as they are not giving them the weapons they need to stop the air warfare.

The Syrian Arab Army has the right to defend itself from foreign terrorists. It is not for us to tip the balance.

What we need is to get them all the the negotiating table. But why would the rebels even bother if they are getting new weapons???

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone View Post
    But the Free Syrian Army is by all accounts predominantly secular. Though the FSA has fought alongside Islamist groups against Assad, there is much hostility between them. In this article, several FSA commanders made clear their opposition to Islamism:

"We are not fighting Bashar al-Assad to go from living in an autocratic to a religious prison. We want to be able to live in Syria as freely; not under a dictator or the constraints of a strict interpretation of Islam."

"The next war after Bashar al-Assad falls will be between us and the Islamists."

For the record, I think that everyone has human rights, even those who do not believe in them

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    But the Free Syrian Army is by all accounts predominantly secular. Though the FSA has fought alongside Islamist groups against Assad, there is much hostility between them. In this article, several FSA commanders made clear their opposition to Islamism:

"We are not fighting Bashar al-Assad to go from living in an autocratic to a religious prison. We want to be able to live in Syria as freely; not under a dictator or the constraints of a strict interpretation of Islam."

"The next war after Bashar al-Assad falls will be between us and the Islamists."

For the record, I think that everyone has human rights, even those who do not believe in them
    The FSA is losing credibility. As both sides become more hardline, people are going over to Jabhat Al Nusra.

Actually that implies that there is an FSA. The FSA isn't an army, it is just a group of factions of people who don't like Assad. No real command structure

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Mod View Post
    The FSA is losing credibility. As both sides become more hardline, people are going over to Jabhat Al Nusra.
    All the more reason to support the secular factions in the FSA then.

Actually that implies that there is an FSA. The FSA isn't an army, it is just a group of factions of people who don't like Assad. No real command structure
    I remember reading that, a few months back, there had been a major reorganization of the FSA in order to give it a genuine leadership and command structure. I'll have to read more about it though. I think what many people here are forgetting is that the Syrian Civil War began with broadly peaceful demonstrations across Syria calling for Assad to step down. This HRW article describes how cuddly teddybear Bashar reacted.

PS. It looks like Bashar has found a charming new friend.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast