Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Depression

Quote Originally Posted by mellors View Post
    In what way do you find them insulting your intelligence ?
    Medication can be very helpful, even in the short term
    medication shud be last resort always, prescibtion meds, do not solve a problem but usual mask it in alot of cases

ending up with a patient who consuelling wud have been a better option now popping valiums like smarties

happens, precribtion medication is prob the most addictive huge numbers are on meds they do not need, but believe they need them
    ********************THE WHORIN AND TOURING NEWS************************
    no more news thats all folks, it was a pleasure

2. The Following User Says Thank You to saoirsemac For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (12-06-13)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saoirsemac View Post
    medication shud be last resort always, prescibtion meds, do not solve a problem but usual mask it in alot of cases

ending up with a patient who consuelling wud have been a better option now popping valiums like smarties

happens, precribtion medication is prob the most addictive huge numbers are on meds they do not need, but believe they need them
    all these things are all short term solutions to treat the symptoms of long term issues that were left linger away in the background. Having said all I said if any of these things give peace of mind then who knows.

Westside.

6,000 years of evolution (give or take a century or so,) and it's only in the last 50 years or so that we've even begun to address the issue of mental health. My mind is an essential part of me - hello? it's obscure the way we've sidelined mental health and obsessed ourselves with irrelevancies like organised religion, dead languages and various historical studies from which we never seem to learn. Seems like we're finally getting the message now though, as man tips into the abysss (of largely his own making,) and there are some serious attempts being made to better educate youth in the basic "essentials" of assertiveness, social skills, confidence building, relationship conflict resolution, how to deal with your troubled family (of origin) etc. etc. I put essential in inverted commas as you'd think this fundamental stuff would have/should have been part of the curriculum from aeons ago but, as ever with the human condition we miss the (bleedin') obvious.) As designs go, our physical make up is (just about) okay bar our paradoxical make up, like cancer is an essential part of us...."hello again great creator...? What the f. were you thinking about?" Actually I don't believe we were created, most of us just "hastily cobbled together," but I do know some WONDERFUL AND GORGEOUS people (obviously created early in the almighty's week,) who keep me sane, that and the fact that I'd hate to please my enemies keeps me from "checking out" prematurely. I've been struggling with "the black dogs" for as long as I can remember and remember my first visit to the local shrink/witch doctor at age 8 as I was getting the most horrendous stomach aches. He showed me the inkblot test and, from my analysis of those fantastical images, diagnosed that I had a pathological fear of my parents dying. Well I'm sure I could have told him that without pouring over that lot if he'd asked. It didn't help that my father didn't want me (that classic bad father/son relationship syndrome,) or that a "trusted" family member stole my childhood innocence. So I grew up relating more positively to bad treatment than could be considered normal. I'm better about recognising that now but maybe that's where my passion for being defiled (used as a human toilet,) by a beautiful woman comes from. Not saying of course that you need a background like mine to enjoy the odd hardsports session..!
    To try and get a better grip on myself I spent roughly 5 years part time studying psychotherapy finishing with a (higher) diploma. I remember discussing "the future of our careers" with the tutor at the graduation ceremony and I asked her, "Why did we never really went into dysfunctional family units, sexual abuse or personality disorders...? She replied," Oh, you'll learn all about those issues as you get experience with your clients" (!) With mental health (professionals) making retorts like that, is it any wonder we're in such bad shape? A lot of the people on the group I wouldn't feel comfortable telling them I had a headache never mind disclosing some dark secret or concern. I don't have much time for psychiatrists either but have heard great reports about St. Patrick's in Dublin. A friend of mine is there and seems to be doing very well but then I saw the raft of medication she is taking.
    If you have a family culitvate them if you can, if they are not being supportive and nurturing, smash their heads together and remind them that life is 80% easier if you have that kind of support behind you. I should have done that with mine long ago but thankfully most are where they belong -6ft. under. The love of a good woman helps and the love of a bad one helps even more. When the lovin' is good it's like cocaine on legs - the good stuff. Of course when that goes wrong that can unhinge you too. Isn't life such a f'ing lottery? Can you throw yourself into a passion/hobby of some description? Music helps -that should have been encouraged more in our early years and a craft. Some of the happiest people I know are good with their hands. This has gone on a bit hasn't it and I haven't given you a magic elixir (or answer, even.) I sympathise totally but have little time for either psychiatry or my own "listening plaster-patch" You just have to try different things. Let me know how you get on please.
    Last edited by scatlover; 13-06-13 at 15:00.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scatlover For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (16-06-13), Sancho Panza (13-06-13)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by saoirsemac View Post

Agree, medication is over prescribed possibly because other resources are woefully under funded and staffed. I'm not advocating the blanket use of medication but I don't think it should be easily dismissed either.
    Depression is a generic term that covers a range of conditions. If the depression has got to a debilitating degree where a person is at a loss as to how to function 'normally' , meds can be of help to get them over that stage so that they can begin to build a way forward based more on logical decision

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mellors For This Useful Post:

Sancho Panza (13-06-13)

Depression is a devarstating sickness yet if u happen to have that means you might have it the rest of your life..as it is something to struggle with for entire lives though "short of some miracleous cure"... but that doesnt mean you cant manage it or make the best of the good its just like the diabetic who needs insulin injections, one might need therapy and medication, but that doesnt mean that you won't live productive meaningfulk lives..!
    Last edited by La Toya; 13-06-13 at 18:36.
    "
    .. A Woman could be happy with any Man as long as she does not Marry him..""

9. The Following User Says Thank You to La Toya For This Useful Post:

mellors (13-06-13)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scatlover View Post
    6,000 years of evolution (give or take a century or so,) and it's only in the last 50 years or so that we've even begun to address the issue of mental health.
    and before that you find it didnt exist. Funny how depression and all these things came along with some study. Like ghosts disappearing when electric blubs got invented. Im not saying things shouldnt be studied but sometimes ignorance can be a great thing.What people dont know wont trouble them.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by La Toya View Post
    Depression is a devarstating sickness yet if u happen to have that means you might have it the rest of your life..as it is something to struggle with for entire lives though "short of some miracleous cure"... but that doesnt mean you cant manage it or make the best of the good its just like the diabetic who needs insulin injections, one might need therapy and medication, but that doesnt mean that you won't live productive meaningfulk lives..!
    Sorry but you cant compare depression which cant even be quantified with a real devastating illness like terminal cancer. In fact taking a trip to the local cancer hospice would bring things back to perspective very very quickly.

Westside.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by scatlover View Post
    I've been struggling with "the black dogs" for as long as I can remember and remember my first visit to the local shrink/witch doctor at age 8 as I was getting the most horrendous stomach aches. He showed me the inkblot test and, from my analysis of those fantastical images, diagnosed that I had a pathological fear of my parents dying. Well I'm sure I could have told him that without pouring over that lot if he'd asked. It didn't help that my father didn't want me (that classic bad father/son relationship syndrome,) or that a "trusted" family member stole my childhood innocence. So I grew up relating more positively to bad treatment than could be considered normal. I'm better about recognising that now but maybe that's where my passion for being defiled (used as a human toilet,) by a beautiful woman comes from. Not saying of course that you need a background like mine to enjoy the odd hardsports session..!
    Scatman,

Thank you for sharing your story on this thread. I must say that I had tears in my eyes when I read the part quoted above. I sincerely hope you find peace of mind and some measure of happiness in your life.

Be well.

Sancho

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sancho Panza For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (16-06-13)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    Scatman,

I must say that I had tears in my eyes when I read the part quoted above. I
    he's not after depressing you now is he? Sorry couldnt resist and I know im a cunt but look on the fun side of it.

Westside.

l meant that the therapy for depression depends on the probability that the patient will recover spontaneously in the next 2 to 4 weeks, the degree of functional impairment, and the severity and duration of the depressive symptoms which shows that treatment of severe major depression is optimized by a combination of pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy so in these case, you cant compare Depression and terminal Cancer as Cancer is a paucity of randomized, placebo-controlled trials assessing the risks and benefits of antidepressants in patients with cancer rather than depression or depressive symptoms...!

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Sorry but you cant compare depression which cant even be quantified with a real devastating illness like terminal cancer. In fact taking a trip to the local cancer hospice would bring things back to perspective very very quickly.

Westside.
    "
    .. A Woman could be happy with any Man as long as she does not Marry him..""

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast