Thread: Soldiers' portraits before, during and after war

Default Soldiers' portraits before, during and after war

Soldiers' portraits before, during and after war

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo! News UK
    Photographer Lalage Snow's powerful series of triptychs titled We Are The Not Dead depict the faces of British servicemen before, during and after (left to right) their deployment to Afghanistan, spanning a period of seven months. The images are as striking as they are revealing, highlighting not only the physical transformations but the emotional ones, as well.

Lalage Snow is a photographer, journalist and filmmaker currently based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
    Source: Click here

Each image has a short story from the person photographed, giving their side of the story. It is a very interesting read, and I recommend clicking the link and reading more.

The change in some of the faces is stark and quite shocking, while others seem to almost suit it. Do you agree?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lara Mills For This Useful Post:

gaze (22-05-13)

Have to agree with you Lara, it is shocking how life can change face. Some of eyes are very hollow. Sad.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicole For This Useful Post:

Lara Mills (22-05-13)

Reviews

I was in the 1st gulf war and when I came back my friends and parents were shocked at how I changed. I feel for the servicemen/women who deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, as I encountered only a fraction of the combat they have, and the situation was much different.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lerxst For This Useful Post:

skyliner (22-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I was in the 1st gulf war and when I came back my friends and parents were shocked at how I changed. I feel for the servicemen/women who deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, as I encountered only a fraction of the combat they have, and the situation was much different.
    Yes, you were probably justified fighting then as Iraq shouldn't really have been in Kuwait (though Kuwait was taking the piss and should have expected a reaction)

We should not have gone to Iraq, and winning in Afghanistan is impossible

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Have to agree with you Lara, it is shocking how life can change face. Some of eyes are very hollow. Sad.
    Most went to hell and back,so no suprise in the change,war is hell.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to very shy guy For This Useful Post:

Nicole (22-05-13)

I do feel people don't actually realise what they are getting into. The Call of Duty generation think war is a game....it isn't a game when they watch their mates get blown to bits.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ward For This Useful Post:

samlad (22-05-13)

Reviews

Very upsetting, what some prople have to do, sometimes in our name and sometimes by misguided politicians

Reviews

in this day and age, there's still war? sure, what do i know?