Hi. I hope I haven't posted this twice, but I don't think it went through the first time. It may have been because I included links to a few articles in my first post to support my argument. I won't include them this time, but if anyone is curious, just PM me. Anyway, here's my two cents on abortion:

Growing up, my parents and teachers told me that since life begins at conception, abortion is murder. As an adult, I have come to believe that such reasoning is faulty.

Human life certainly begins at conception; it is foolish of pro-life campaigners to argue otherwise. However, scientists have determined that the structures necessary for higher brain functioning and pain perception do not develop until at least the 24th week of pregnancy. Indeed, it seems certain that the foetus does not "wake up" or become conscious until birth. Thus, I find it hard to believe that a first or second-trimester foetus is a human being with the same rights as an infant, a child, or an adult.

If you believe that humans are ensouled at conception, then you will most likely have a problem with any kind of abortion. Indeed, some pro-life advocates oppose the morning-after pill because of its potential to inhibit implantation (though recent research suggests it does not). Even if I believed in souls though, I would find it hard to believe that a fertilised egg has one.

I do not consider myself an advocate of abortion. Indeed, given the easy availability of contraceptives and pregnancy tests these days, I do find it hard to understand how any woman without a genuine medical reason would require an abortion beyond 16 weeks, let alone 20 or 24.

Bottom line - I do not believe that the thousands of Irish women who have had abortions in the UK this year are murderers.