Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: golf and formula 1

I think Mark Twain had it right when he described golf as a good walk spoiled.

Reviews

F1, the Tour de France and cricket are sports dominated by strategy and tactics and if you do not follow them closely enough to understand what is going on then you will find them confusing and boring.

As an example from yesterday's F1 race, Button started in 8th, got up into the lead after a few laps but then dropped back and finished 5th. From the perspective of a casual viewer, that is confusing. If he was fast enough to get into the lead, why did he do so badly in qualification that he only started in 8th? If he could go from 8th to first why did he then drop back behind drivers he had alread passed?

If you were a fan you would realise that his team knew that their car was slow and so they decided to opt for a contrary strategy that would have him start behind the other top drivers and give him a chance to get up into the lead early on and then hope that he would subsequently be passed by fewer people than he had passed in the first phase of the race. You would also spot the neat tactical ploy of puling his team mate into the pits after half of the race and sending him back with soft tyres to see how fast they were and how long they lasted so that they would know the best time to give those tyres to Button. You would see many such ploys play out with the top tems in an F1 race and that is what appeals to the fans of that category of sport.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sharkskin For This Useful Post:

4. Default

A decent amateur athlete could never run 100m in Usain Bolt time.
    He couldn't drift past 4 top flight defenders like Messi.
    He couldn't take on Tyson.
    But an enthusiastic amateur golfer can play the same course as the pros, and could also hit an approach shot, or putt, maybe even a drive, better than he watched a pro do it a week earlier. That one shot, likely out of a round of 80 - 90 poor shots, is the one he'll remember. That's what gets him hooked, and brings him back out there next week.
    I'm not a golf fan myself.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo For This Useful Post:

Davidgolf (14-04-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sharkskin View Post
    F1, the Tour de France and cricket are sports dominated by strategy and tactics and if you do not follow them closely enough to understand what is going on then you will find them confusing and boring.

As an example from yesterday's F1 race, Button started in 8th, got up into the lead after a few laps but then dropped back and finished 5th. From the perspective of a casual viewer, that is confusing. If he was fast enough to get into the lead, why did he do so badly in qualification that he only started in 8th? If he could go from 8th to first why did he then drop back behind drivers he had alread passed?

If you were a fan you would realise that his team knew that their car was slow and so they decided to opt for a contrary strategy that would have him start behind the other top drivers and give him a chance to get up into the lead early on and then hope that he would subsequently be passed by fewer people than he had passed in the first phase of the race. You would also spot the neat tactical ploy of puling his team mate into the pits after half of the race and sending him back with soft tyres to see how fast they were and how long they lasted so that they would know the best time to give those tyres to Button. You would see many such ploys play out with the top tems in an F1 race and that is what appeals to the fans of that category of sport.
    I'm an F1 fan and agree with what you just said, but to be honest it's this very reason that I'm becoming bored with it. Motor sport should be about the racing. Now it's all about strategy. Makes me switch the channel to be honest, especially with team orders! Don't need to mention the Red Bull scenario there last week or 2 weeks ago.
    ladiesman217: April 2009 to April 2024

Goodbye

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ladiesman217 For This Useful Post:

sharkskin (15-04-13)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Donmor View Post
    I think Mark Twain had it right when he described golf as a good walk spoiled.
    spot on donmor , he did. and the way i play sometimes, it is a good walk spoiled.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Davidgolf For This Useful Post:

Donmor (17-04-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    no offence to anybody who watches that crap but its so boring...... im just curious as how do people sit down and watch it? like what the hell its sooooooo boring even more boring than my personality and thats saying something

what keeps you people so entertained that you watch that crap? how does that crap even get on the telly and the same as the tour de France crap im sure there is a lot more stuff they could stick on the telly rather than that boring crap

im sorry i just turned on the channel today to see what all the hype about watching golf was i was so bored after 10 mins of watching men walk around on the grass in slow motion with slaves carrying there stuff the rich little twats are so lazy i seen highlights on the news and there little slaves were holding umbrellas up over there head so they would not get wet WTF! why the hell hold an umbrella up for them when they takes 20 mins to take a shot and get soaked anyway??

Golfers do humanity a favour yee are getting paid enough anyway your not going to loose any of your energy holding a fucking umbrella up for yourselfs........... you twats!!

anyway i need answers how do people enjoy that utter crap

and yes i do hate them sports....... actually how in the name of jasus can you call them sports?

fuck it roll on the hurling and football the only sport that should be allowed on the telly at all
    Have to say that both sports leave me cold,but then each to his own,not everyone enjoys a good game of hurling,ask the other 31 counties,lol.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I don't get golf I really don't, mostly people clap because of 5ft putts for a par.

Love a sunny evening though and falling asleep in the chair listening to it.

Formula1 OMFG I LOVE LOVE the technical aspect of it, when ITV had the coverage they used to really get into the technical side if it

Well done Fernando for today winning !!!!!

Well done Hamilton for defending well from Vettel & keeping the 3rd position!!!!!

Fuck you Red Bull for messing with Webber !!!!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rachel Divine For This Useful Post:

client101 (15-04-13), Davidgolf (15-04-13), Dub Lad (15-04-13)

l think if someone loves speed, danger as well as angles turns and curves then golf and Formula1 do have so much in common, myself l love both..
    "
    .. A Woman could be happy with any Man as long as she does not Marry him..""

15. The Following User Says Thank You to La Toya For This Useful Post:

mer (17-04-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by La Toya View Post
    l think if someone loves speed, danger as well as angles turns and curves then golf and Formula1 do have so much in common, myself l love both..
    So will you Marry me toya? Ill put your signature to a test

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mer For This Useful Post:

La Toya (17-04-13)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast