Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightclub discriminates wheelchair user

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Lad View Post
    The entrance to the club is down 30 steep steps, there is no wheelchair access, yes in this day and age there should be wheelchair access but how would you propose to climb down 30 steep steps? Would two people have to lift you off the wheelchair and carry you down? Would the guys have to be trained to carry you and what about the health and safety implications of doing this? What if you got your mates to do it, do you think there is even a greater health and safety risk there? It wasn't discrimination.
    This is what I love about the press. Their ability to twist something and make a reasonable situation sound unreasonable. I feel sorry for the agency guy who got sacked now, as he was obviously using his common sense, that allowing a man to be carried down by his mates who had been drinking, was not safe. Also if there were to be a fire, he would have been up shit creak without a paddle, as I bet his mates wouldn't be able to carry him back up with a screaming mob around them.

The moral of this story is... never take the press at face value, but look for the truth.
    Last edited by CurvaceousKate; 14-03-13 at 08:33.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    This is what I love about the press. Their ability to twist something and make a reasonable situation sound unreasonable. I feel sorry for the agency guy who got sacked now, as he was obviously using his common sense, that allowing a man to be carried down by his mates who had been drinking, was not safe. Also if there were to be a fire, he would have been up shit creak without a paddle, as I bet his mates wouldn't be able to carry him back up with a screaming mob around them.

The moral of this story is... never take the press at face value, but look for the truth.
    Absolutely.

There is a steep stairs into the club so entry and exit for wheel chair users is unsafe.
    If there was a fire how do wheel chair users escape.

Also it's a listed building so the owners can't do anything to change it to accommodate wheel chairs.

Finally, the owners and bouncers are a really nice bunch of people from my experience.
    Personally I think this guy is just looking for attention. I heard he's studying acting, I think he should stick to it.

I'm all for protests against discrimination, I don't believe this one is valid

As I said at the start, there seemed to be a very deliberate omission of the bouncers motivations for not letting him in. Seems he was justified and has been hung out to dry.

I love the press

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ward For This Useful Post:

TonyB (14-03-13)

But why then did the owners of the club not point out any of this when they issues the apology? At no point did they try to give a reason as to why the guy was refused entry. Would this not be the very first thing you’d do to try and limit the damage?

And secondly I’ve also read they’ve welcomed the guy back anytime.
    "Live for nothing or die for something, your call."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRambo View Post
    But why then did the owners of the club not point out any of this when they issues the apology? At no point did they try to give a reason as to why the guy was refused entry. Would this not be the very first thing you’d do to try and limit the damage?

And secondly I’ve also read they’ve welcomed the guy back anytime.
    Standard PR mate. You don't want to be seen as having a ruck with a disabled person...easier to apologise and hope it goes away rather than have a war of words.

I remember about five years ago a load of pictures put in the press of an old woman in a hospital bed, having not been seen by a nurse in two days over the weekend. The Hospital pointed out that she had refused to be seen by someone who wasn't white and there was no white nurse available.

The government and the PC brigade jumped on them, saying they were showing the woman no respect. Hospital just had to apologise and kiss ass.

Apologise and make it go away....sad state of affairs
    Last edited by Martin Mod; 14-03-13 at 14:27.

Blog Entries

Plus the gentleman in question was already aware of the reason he couldn't enter, as they had forbidden his friends to carry him down the stairs. Personally in light of a few clubs going up in flames recently (2 that I can think of off the top of my head) I would not feel comfortable with a wheel chair user in a night club with steep stairs as the only entry and exit point.

It's not as simple as it was first made out to be.
    Last edited by CurvaceousKate; 14-03-13 at 14:32.

All night clubs have to have disabled exit and entrances as part of the licence I'm nearly sure of that but the uk might be different ..!! Correct me if im wrong...
    Who loves ya baby......!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    All night clubs have to have disabled exit and entrances as part of the licence I'm nearly sure of that but the uk might be different ..!! Correct me if im wrong...
    No that was in the back of my mind too, but I thought that maybe as a listed building they may have got round this clause?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Mod View Post
    Standard PR mate. You don't want to be seen as having a ruck with a disabled person...easier to apologise and hope it goes away rather than have a war of words.

I remember about five years ago a load of pictures put in the press of an old woman in a hospital bed, having not been seen by a nurse in two days over the weekend. The Hospital pointed out that she had refused to be seen by someone who wasn't white and there was no white nurse available.

The government and the PC brigade jumped on them, saying they were showing the woman no respect. Hospital just had to apologise and kiss ass.

Apologise and make it go away....sad state of affairs
    I don’t know Martin I don’t buy this one I’m afraid mate, it would be absolutely reductions for the club owners not to at least say there’s 30 odd steps downstairs and that was the only reason why he couldn’t get in. Excuse the pun but if they had the guy wouldn’t have had a leg to stand on and I’m have been right behind the bouncer for not letting him in as it would have been madness letting a guy in his position down 30 steps in a packed night club in case a fire broke out.
    "Live for nothing or die for something, your call."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRambo View Post
    I don’t know Martin I don’t buy this one I’m afraid mate, it would be absolutely reductions for the club owners not to at least say there’s 30 odd steps downstairs and that was the only reason why he couldn’t get in. Excuse the pun but if they had the guy wouldn’t have had a leg to stand on and I’m have been right behind the bouncer for not letting him in as it would have been madness letting a guy in his position down 30 steps in a packed night club in case a fire broke out.

I'm sure more will come out in the wash and won't comment on things I don't know too much about.

But it is easier for the company to let it go and fire some bouncer, than it is to engage in debate.

I would love to know what has really happened
    Last edited by Martin Mod; 14-03-13 at 17:21.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ward For This Useful Post:

JohnRambo (14-03-13)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast