Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I love this Quote..

Reviews

Even better !!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n73 For This Useful Post:

anon361 (06-03-13), The D Man (07-03-13)

Maybe controversial posting this in Ireland but I love this speech made by Tim Collins on the eve of the Iraq war. Please read this without going into politics and bollocks and just give it a chance

We go to liberate, not to conquer.
    We will not fly our flags in their country
    We are entering Iraq to free a people and the only flag which will be flown in that ancient land is their own.
    Show respect for them.

There are some who are alive at this moment who will not be alive shortly.
    Those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send.
    As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.
    Wipe them out if that is what they choose.
    But if you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory.

Iraq is steeped in history.
    It is the site of the Garden of Eden, of the Great Flood and the birthplace of Abraham.
    Tread lightly there.

You will see things that no man could pay to see
    -- and you will have to go a long way to find a more decent, generous and upright people than the Iraqis.
    You will be embarrassed by their hospitality even though they have nothing.

Don't treat them as refugees for they are in their own country.
    Their children will be poor, in years to come they will know that the light of liberation in their lives was brought by you.

If there are casualties of war then remember that when they woke up and got dressed in the morning they did not plan to die this day.
    Allow them dignity in death.
    Bury them properly and mark their graves.

It is my foremost intention to bring every single one of you out alive.
    But there may be people among us who will not see the end of this campaign.
    We will put them in their sleeping bags and send them back.
    There will be no time for sorrow.

The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction.
    There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of hell for Saddam.
    He and his forces will be destroyed by this coalition for what they have done.
    As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity.

It is a big step to take another human life.
    It is not to be done lightly.
    I know of men who have taken life needlessly in other conflicts.
    I can assure you they live with the mark of Cain upon them.

If someone surrenders to you then remember they have that right in international law and ensure that one day they go home to their family.
    The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please.

If you harm the regiment or its history by over-enthusiasm in killing or in cowardice, know it is your family who will suffer.
    You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest -- for your deeds will follow you down through history.
    We will bring shame on neither our uniform or our nation.

(On Saddam's chemical and biological weapons.)

It is not a question of if, it's a question of when.
    We know he has already devolved the decision to lower commanders, and that means he has already taken the decision himself.
    If we survive the first strike we will survive the attack.

As for ourselves, let's bring everyone home and leave Iraq a better place for us having been there.

Our business now is north.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Regular John View Post
    This is my favourite quote.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round and it has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud. And it's fun, for a while.

Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: 'Is this real? Or is this just a ride?' And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and they say 'Hey! Don't worry, don't be afraid -- ever -- because... this is just a ride.' And we kill those people.

'Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride! Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry; look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real.' It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that -- ever notice that? -- and we let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter, because... it's just a ride, and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort. No worry. No job. No savings and money. Just a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy bigger guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one.

Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, into a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defense each year and, instead, spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would do many times over -- not one human being excluded -- and we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever. In peace.
    I miss Bill Hicks. I think i'll spend a productive afternoon watching you-tube clips...

Quote Originally Posted by daftscouser View Post
    Maybe controversial posting this in Ireland but I love this speech made by Tim Collins on the eve of the Iraq war. Please read this without going into politics and bollocks and just give it a chance

We go to liberate, not to conquer.
    We will not fly our flags in their country
    We are entering Iraq to free a people and the only flag which will be flown in that ancient land is their own.
    Show respect for them.

There are some who are alive at this moment who will not be alive shortly.
    Those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send.
    As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.
    Wipe them out if that is what they choose.
    But if you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory.

Iraq is steeped in history.
    It is the site of the Garden of Eden, of the Great Flood and the birthplace of Abraham.
    Tread lightly there.

You will see things that no man could pay to see
    -- and you will have to go a long way to find a more decent, generous and upright people than the Iraqis.
    You will be embarrassed by their hospitality even though they have nothing.

Don't treat them as refugees for they are in their own country.
    Their children will be poor, in years to come they will know that the light of liberation in their lives was brought by you.

If there are casualties of war then remember that when they woke up and got dressed in the morning they did not plan to die this day.
    Allow them dignity in death.
    Bury them properly and mark their graves.

It is my foremost intention to bring every single one of you out alive.
    But there may be people among us who will not see the end of this campaign.
    We will put them in their sleeping bags and send them back.
    There will be no time for sorrow.

The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction.
    There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of hell for Saddam.
    He and his forces will be destroyed by this coalition for what they have done.
    As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity.

It is a big step to take another human life.
    It is not to be done lightly.
    I know of men who have taken life needlessly in other conflicts.
    I can assure you they live with the mark of Cain upon them.

If someone surrenders to you then remember they have that right in international law and ensure that one day they go home to their family.
    The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please.

If you harm the regiment or its history by over-enthusiasm in killing or in cowardice, know it is your family who will suffer.
    You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest -- for your deeds will follow you down through history.
    We will bring shame on neither our uniform or our nation.

(On Saddam's chemical and biological weapons.)

It is not a question of if, it's a question of when.
    We know he has already devolved the decision to lower commanders, and that means he has already taken the decision himself.
    If we survive the first strike we will survive the attack.

As for ourselves, let's bring everyone home and leave Iraq a better place for us having been there.

Our business now is north.

I'm sure I could pull a few Joseph Goebbels speeches and he wouldn't sound that bad.

You can't sit around getting loved up about a speech when the reality was so different. It is just blatant propoganda, and I find it disgusting

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Mod View Post
    I'm sure I could pull a few Joseph Goebbels speeches and he wouldn't sound that bad.

You can't sit around getting loved up about a speech when the reality was so different. It is just blatant propoganda, and I find it disgusting
    Are you really comparing him to Goebbels???? Get a fucking grip mate!!!

And may I ask what you would personally know about the reality?? Been reading the Guardian for the truth have we?

Are you really comparing him to Goebbels???? Get a fucking grip mate!!!

And may I ask what you would personally know about the reality?? Been reading the Guardian for the truth have we?
    Sorry, the countless abuses by American forces, no WMD and now a factionslised society where the Shia and Sunni are hacking each other to bits....

I forgot what a success the Iraq invasion was hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Mod View Post
    Sorry, the countless abuses by American forces, no WMD and now a factionslised society where the Shia and Sunni are hacking each other to bits....

I forgot what a success the Iraq invasion was hahahaha
    Never mind that Collins is Irish and not American eh?

I wasnt posting this for a debate on the rights and wrongs of the Iraq war, we each have views that or may not differ so no point on carrying this on to be honest.

Never mind that Collins is Irish and not American eh?

I wasnt posting this for a debate on the rights and wrongs of the Iraq war, we each have views that or may not differ so no point on carrying this on to be honest.
    To be fair, I don't really care if Santa Claus said it.

They are nice words, but you would have to be Stevie Wonder not to see that this was just the propoganda at the time where we were 'liberating a people' and to stop have big bad Saddam 'having WMD'

The point I was making was that I can't get over that. The best propoganda in the world is issued by people with a silver tongue.

And when you issue a statement from a time when we were about to attack the country a decade ago, you should expect many people to think 'well. that was all bollocks wasn't it?'

That excludes it from being a great quote, IMO

But happy to leave it there

Said it before and I'll say it time and time again....Martin, you's one bad as MOFO

“Nothing is more creative... nor destructive... than a brilliant mind with a purpose.”
    ― Dan Brown, Inferno

Quote Originally Posted by PeepingTom View Post
    Said it before and I'll say it time and time again....Martin, you's one bad as MOFO

I learned from the best peeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All due respect to daftscouser of course, this place is about different opinions

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ward For This Useful Post:

skyliner (06-03-13)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast