Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Better Than Sex Work by Cathryn Berarovich

Blog Entries

Thumbs up No Better Than Sex Work by Cathryn Berarovich

Great article and great to read of someone who feels the same as me! Positive vibes!!!

http://www.thegloss.com/2013/02/12/s...than-sex-work/

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (21-02-13), Chutney (24-02-13), Deven (23-02-13), Ebony Amber (21-02-13), gisele (23-02-13), Laura Lee (21-02-13), milkman (22-02-13), NewMoon (23-02-13), Rachel Divine (21-02-13), simon2280 (21-02-13), Stephanie (22-02-13), The Equalizer (21-02-13), the traveller (21-02-13), very shy guy (23-02-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    Great article and great to read of someone who feels the same as me! Positive vibes!!!

Great article Kate. It gives a clear and coherent perspective on the reasons and personal decision to become a sex worker, and it's a great and brave step for the author of the piece to be so open with her family and co-workers so say that she has been and still is a sex worker. It's people like this that will help finally break the unfortunate and always misplaced stigma attached to those who do this work, and it's about time! Now, we only need for the CLIENTS to NOT be seen as total PERVERTS, and then we'll REALLY be getting somewhere!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cable87 For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (21-02-13), NewMoon (23-02-13)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cable87 View Post
    Great article Kate. It gives a clear and coherent perspective on the reasons and personal decision to become a sex worker, and it's a great and brave step for the author of the piece to be so open with her family and co-workers so say that she has been and still is a sex worker. It's people like this that will help finally break the unfortunate and always misplaced stigma attached to those who do this work, and it's about time! Now, we only need for the CLIENTS to NOT be seen as total PERVERTS, and then we'll REALLY be getting somewhere!
    You've got to respect her for it. I'm not that brave yet and not sure that I ever will, but I share her sentiments on the job for sure.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (21-02-13), milkman (22-02-13)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post

Excellent, Open, No B.S. Well written, Blows the Myth sex work is only done by misguided people, coerced into it by others, economic circumstances,etc. She sure is one astute lady..unashamedly using what she's good at to make a living..Nice find Kate

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simon2280 For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (22-02-13), Curvaceous Kate (21-02-13), NewMoon (23-02-13)

Reviews

Thanks Kate. Short and sweet and from the heart. Honest at it's best. It's a fairly short article, so here it is (for those who are too lazy to follow links):

Cathryn Berarovich is something of a renaissance sex worker; she was until recently employed as a stripper but has held numerous interesting jobs in the industry (and she’s currently an excellent columnist on this very website). Each week, she shares her stories in Harlotry.
    Ever since I decided to be a sex worker, people have been telling me that I’m ‘too good’ for this profession. It started when I came out to a friend, it intensified when my mother figured out I was a sex worker, and it continued when I chose to briefly retire from the industry. When I returned, first to stripping and then to light fetish work, the protests, mostly from my family and commenters on my last few columns, only got louder.
    I am somewhat anomalous in that I’ve been almost entirely open with my family about what it is that I do. While my parents are, for the most part, extremely supportive, they do not offer their support with total approval. My father calls my work ‘unskillful’ and my mother says it’s degrading.
    The main arguments people make against my various forays into harlotry is that I am ‘too smart for that,’ ‘a remarkable young woman,’ and ‘better than things like that.’ This is all delivered in a disdainful tone, as if I were little more than a garbage picker or sewage worker (all due respect to garbage pickers and sewage workers, I could never do their jobs and admire them for it) the implication of all of such arguments is that sex work is degrading and degrading work is for people who are somehow less awesome than I. It’s flattering, and I understand that when people encourage me to quit the industry it comes from a good place, but it’s completely untrue that I’m somehow better than my chosen work.
    I am not better than sex work, not even a little bit.

Read more:
    http://www.thegloss.com/2013/02/12/sex-and-dating/better-than-sex-work/#ixzz2LfqQrmFX
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Morpheus For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (24-02-13), Curvaceous Kate (23-02-13), curvyirishgirl katie (24-02-13), Deven (23-02-13), milkman (23-02-13), NewMoon (23-02-13), Stephanie (22-02-13)

Thanks for the link Kate...

Might be off topic a bit but where in history did sex and sex work become such a big deal/stigma. Anyone out there know their history?

Reviews

Great piece Kate,for me it boils down to this in all walks of life,the day you start to look down your nose at someone else and feel that you are better than them is the day you need to take a long hard look at yourself,and a kick up the backside would not go amiss either.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to very shy guy For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (23-02-13), Morpheus (23-02-13), NewMoon (23-02-13), Rocker123 (24-02-13)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
    Thanks for the link Kate...

Might be off topic a bit but where in history did sex and sex work become such a big deal/stigma. Anyone out there know their history?
    I would imagine that would have been the day that religion started, after all, isn't it the original rule book?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

NewMoon (23-02-13)

Reviews

I've a friend who's reading the bible for fun. He like's the classics. Anyway, whilst sex workers are mentioned many times there's nothing anywhere that says that sex work is evil, mind you he's only as far as psalms, so maybe kicks in later.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the traveller For This Useful Post:

NewMoon (23-02-13), Stephanie (23-02-13)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the traveller View Post
    I've a friend who's reading the bible for fun. He like's the classics. Anyway, whilst sex workers are mentioned many times there's nothing anywhere that says that sex work is evil, mind you he's only as far as psalms, so maybe kicks in later.
    It's all open to interpretation. I was talking about this yesterday with someone due the the Magdalene Laundries and some believe that Mary Magdalene was never a prostitute at all and that Jesus married her and she is in the picture of the last supper, but then others believe that she was. Either way, she had the respect of Jesus and he didn't treat her in the same way he treated the traders in God's house trading on the Sabbath.

People have changed things to suit their needs as they go along. It's all about control.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

milkman (23-02-13), NewMoon (23-02-13), Rocker123 (24-02-13), the traveller (23-02-13)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast