Thread: Ingenuity ...

Reviews

Default Ingenuity ...

The current New York Review of Books has an article on ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ of all things. Interesting stuff (though not as much fun as the blog, Fifty Things that Annoy me about Fifty Shades of Grey http://cassandraparkin.wordpress.com...hades-of-grey/ )

Anyway, I enjoyed the opening paragraph of the review, which displays an impressive ability to circumvent 'taboos' on the part of the author (Tim Parks):

“Touching yourself” was strictly forbidden in the Parks family. My father was an evangelical clergyman, my mother his zealous helper. The hand mustn’t stray below the belt, because such pleasures were always accompanied by evil, lascivious thoughts. Yet as Dusty Springfield memorably sang in “Son of a Preacher Man,” “being good isn’t always easy, no matter how hard I try,” and at thirteen for this son of a preacher man it was impossible. To get around the conflict—the sexual imperative and the fear of falling into sin—I would imagine going through the entire Anglican marriage ceremony with whatever girl was the object of my desire before allowing the hand to move to its inevitable destination; in this way, I hoped, my fantasies would be conjugal rather than lecherous and any sin much diminished.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patt113 For This Useful Post:

NewMoon (30-01-13), Stephanie (30-01-13), thewren (31-01-13)

Quote Originally Posted by Patt113 View Post
    The current New York Review of Books has an article on ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ of all things. Interesting stuff (though not as much fun as the blog, Fifty Things that Annoy me about Fifty Shades of Grey http://cassandraparkin.wordpress.com...hades-of-grey/ )

Anyway, I enjoyed the opening paragraph of the review, which displays an impressive ability to circumvent 'taboos' on the part of the author (Tim Parks):

“Touching yourself” was strictly forbidden in the Parks family. My father was an evangelical clergyman, my mother his zealous helper. The hand mustn’t stray below the belt, because such pleasures were always accompanied by evil, lascivious thoughts. Yet as Dusty Springfield memorably sang in “Son of a Preacher Man,” “being good isn’t always easy, no matter how hard I try,” and at thirteen for this son of a preacher man it was impossible. To get around the conflict—the sexual imperative and the fear of falling into sin—I would imagine going through the entire Anglican marriage ceremony with whatever girl was the object of my desire before allowing the hand to move to its inevitable destination; in this way, I hoped, my fantasies would be conjugal rather than lecherous and any sin much diminished.
    Genius.. xx

Reminds me of a young man of the Muslim faith who insisted that the only way we shall be able to enjoy each other's

company is if he temporarily 'married' me. Thankfully, this entailed nothing more than him loudly declaring this fact..

Conveniently this 'tie' remained only for the length of his visit.. The ingenuity of Man, eh lol ?

Hm.. would be similar to 'Soldier's Marriage' in the Olden Days Ireland.. xx
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

NewMoon (30-01-13), Patt113 (31-01-13), thewren (31-01-13)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Genius.. xx

Reminds me of a young man of the Muslim faith who insisted that the only way we shall be able to enjoy each other's

company is if he temporarily 'married' me. Thankfully, this entailed nothing more than him loudly declaring this fact..

Conveniently this 'tie' remained only for the length of his visit.. The ingenuity of Man, eh lol ?

Interesting story as always Stephanie, are you sure your ye are not still married?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewMoon For This Useful Post:

Patt113 (31-01-13), Stephanie (31-01-13), thewren (31-01-13)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Genius.. xx

Did he take his shoes from under your bed when he was fully dressed and walk around "You Three Times" then you in deep shit...