Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Thumbs up The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Last night, myself and Mrs Sam took ourselves off to the local cinema to see what all the hype was about for the first instalment of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit series.

Being a fan of the original book, I knew what elements to expect so was pretty exited to see how Jackson put this together, but admittedly my heart did sink when I found out that, what I consider to be a relatively short story, was to be panned out over three movies.

To sum up the story, the Dwarven Kingdom of Erabor, built into the depths of The Lonely Mountain, has been thriving for generations, filled to the brim with gold and precious gems. The dragon Smaug, who is quite partial to a bit of gold himself, raids the kingdom and seeks refuge their himself, kicking out all the dwarves in the process. The Dwarve Prince, Thorin Oakenshield, assembles a party to claim back the kingdom and slay the dragon Smaug, with the help of Gandalf, who ropes Bilbo into the adventure as a misplaced 'thief'.

As exited as I was, I was also a little dubious. Being a Tolkien geek, I was disappointed at some aspects of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, specifically being the omissions of Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Wights in the Barrow Downs and how Farramir and Lady Eowyn came together, and most importantly, the complete omission of 'Sharky' in the final chapters of the books when the Hobbits returned to the Shire, with another epic battle (read the book and you'll understand). I also hated the way that Gimli and Legolas had been portrayed as some sort of comedy duo, but overall, it was a great series . The timeline was reduced vastly to accommodate the film as a whole, and to be fair, I understand that to put everything in, there would have to be two parts to each book, so I can't be too harsh!

Although much was removed from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit went the other way. As short as the book was, Jackson has done a fantastic job incorporating some of the elements listed in the appendices of the books, with subtle references made to other events that have or have yet to occur. The basic bones of the book are all there and meated out nicely with inter-texual references from the other books, and I do know that Tolkien had written this before the Lord of the Rings and was actually intended as a children's story, however Jackson has done an excellent job retaining that 'fairy tale' element and blended it with the beautiful and gritty settings of Middle-Earth. It is fun, exciting and beautiful, and what's more, watching it in HDR 3D made it seem as if I was really there looking at the whole thing through plain glass.

The casting was excellent. Martin Freeman plays a younger Bilbo Baggins (60 years prior to the events in Lord of the Rings) and managed to retain that character and charm of Ian Holm (older Bilbo) and yet play it down as an inexperienced, shy, naive Hobbit that is obviously going to be hardened by the events yet to follow. Elijah Wood returns as a fresh-faced Frodo Baggins and we see the return of Hugo Weaving (Lord Elrond), Christopher Lee (Sauraman), Cate Blanchette (Lady Galadriel) and of course, Ian McKellen (Gandalf the Grey). We also see Coleraine actor, James Nesbitt star as one of the 13 dwarves that partakes in this epic quest.

Forget the slating reviews; if you enjoyed Lord of the Rings you will adore this film.

How do I rate this one?

Five out of five frogs
    Last edited by samlad; 08-01-13 at 11:01.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

Amanda Babe (11-01-13), Bumble (08-01-13), Deven (08-01-13), emmasweet (08-01-13), JAMESCORK (08-01-13), mer (08-01-13), Renatha Lopez (11-01-13), very shy guy (08-01-13)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Going to see it today sam.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Big J For This Useful Post:

Amanda Babe (11-01-13)

Quote Originally Posted by Big J View Post
    Going to see it today sam.
    Let us know what you think

never watched the lord of the rings trilogy and reading the reviews it seems this movie is for die hard fans only they say it's far to long and tedious...reviewers got it wrong before though.

Reviews

I was actually disappointed with the cinematography but I think half my problem was the cinema I went to. It was an off peak showing in The Odeon blanch and they had it on in one of the smaller screens, I thought the picture was very bland and nothing vivid, even looked a bit washed out.
    As for the story it was good but not as encapsulating as the Lord of the rings. After seeing The Fellowship of the Ring I couldn't wait to see the next instalment, with the Hobbit I'm thinking of waiting until they all come out on Bluray and watch them all together as I'm in no hurry to see the rest..

Blog Entries

I went to see it on Saturday night and saw the 3D version and loved it. It took a while before I recognised something I had read, but I did read it some years ago. I felt tempted to read the book again, but I think I shall wait until I have watched the next 2 first, as I don't want to spoil it doing comparisons all the time.

5 love hearts from me.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Amanda Babe (11-01-13), Renatha Lopez (11-01-13), samlad (08-01-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    never watched the lord of the rings trilogy and reading the reviews it seems this movie is for die hard fans only they say it's far to long and tedious...reviewers got it wrong before though.
    You really are a plonker, seriously, best trilogy ever...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

benin (08-01-13), TomEA (08-01-13)

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    You really are a plonker, seriously, best trilogy ever...
    No, that would be Star Wars

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Mod View Post
    No, that would be Star Wars
    Yea but they fucked that up with 1, 2 and 3

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    I was actually disappointed with the cinematography but I think half my problem was the cinema I went to. It was an off peak showing in The Odeon blanch and they had it on in one of the smaller screens, I thought the picture was very bland and nothing vivid, even looked a bit washed out.
    As for the story it was good but not as encapsulating as the Lord of the rings. After seeing The Fellowship of the Ring I couldn't wait to see the next instalment, with the Hobbit I'm thinking of waiting until they all come out on Bluray and watch them all together as I'm in no hurry to see the rest..
    I thought the picture was amazing when I went, but I must agree with you I was a tad bit more excited for the Two Towers than I am for 'the Desolation of Smaug'(still overly excited though)...

went to blockbuster the other day, got the entire triology of lord of the rings to watch again(it's been some time), finished the return of the king last night. Holy Shit I forgot how good those films were!
    Last edited by TomEA; 08-01-13 at 11:35.
    “Nothing is more creative... nor destructive... than a brilliant mind with a purpose.”
    ― Dan Brown, Inferno

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TomEA For This Useful Post:

anon361 (08-01-13)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast