Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know anything about eReaders? (Kindles, etc.)

Reviews

wasn't too sure about the kindle but got a loan of on and was pleasantly surprised to find it quite easy and comfortable to use. Friend has had it for over a year now with it being used daily and he's never had a problem with it.

I myself am hoping to be given the new Kindle Fire HD from Santa this year, will do everything the afore mentioned iPad will dfo at a fraction of the cost, what teh kindle does that most of the new eBooks don't is if you sign up for the gold package you get free access to millions of books in their download library, you can 'borrow' so many books a month, just li8ke a realy library lol.

as for pdf's will def work on newer version not sure about older model, I do however know that I downloaded a torrent containing over 300 books and it was just a matter of plugging the Kindle into the laptop and copy-pasting the file over and job done, it even automatically reformatted the books for the screen itself

hope it helps ,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kazgar For This Useful Post:

Banjaxed (20-12-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Banjaxed View Post
    Recently I thought that I am eventually going to have to move on with the "new faze" in terms of reading, even as someone resistant to the change and who much prefers "real" books albeit more expensive. There are a number of what seem to be informally called eReaders from a multitude of brands, most of which are competing with the Kindle brand.

How exactly do they function? Can they handle pdfs and is there any specific format that they use? It is possible to download ebooks for free which would be compatible with any brand of eReader?
    Lots of great advice thus far. Mine would be that you could buy 5 Kindles for the price if one Ipad, so if it's just for reading books a Kindle 3g W-fi would be my recommendation. Also note that the Kindle screen is anti glare and is much better than the Ipad for reading outside in the sun or by the pool !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to topgun For This Useful Post:

Banjaxed (20-12-12)

Reviews

An iPad is a bit out of my price range at the moment, however I could look into one on my Billpay. I'm only read after something for reading books which would allow me to take advantage of the free electronic books online and provided by the uni library rather than having to buy and cart around hardbacks.

Thanks for all the advice.

Reviews

One of these days im gonna learn to read good

Reviews

Oh dear...a random tweet from one of the privacy law groups I follow.

Why your Kindle is an Open Book to the Government

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...nforcement-fbi

"It's going to take a few more Petraeuses before people understand what the world of ubiquitous surveillance means for them."
    Who knows what you read last Summer?
    https://www.eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12