Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge says 'Woman's body should have prevented rape'

Default Judge says 'Woman's body should have prevented rape'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...y-prevent-rape

The level of stupidity in the U.S is incredible!!!

I can only imagine what extra psychological damage that could do to the lady concerned

Unbelievable, isn't it?

Sadly, this isn't the first time some prick stated this!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (17-12-12)

Reviews

Was he hinting at something else? We all know some ladies ruin it for others by crying wolf, this lady didn't help her own situation by waiting so long to come forward (17 days) and with no physical evidence of an assualt?

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    Was he hinting at something else? We all know some ladies ruin it for others by crying wolf, this lady didn't help her own situation by waiting so long to come forward (17 days) and with no physical evidence of an assualt?
    I believe he was hinting at that. But it seemed to feed into his pre-conceived logic that women's bodies shut down. Whether she was lying or not, that outdated notion isn't correct.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ward For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (17-12-12)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Mod View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...y-prevent-rape

The level of stupidity in the U.S is incredible!!!

I can only imagine what extra psychological damage that could do to the lady concerned
    I agree : that level of stupidity !! In this day and age !!

But Martin, I am very disappointed in you for your comment re the US.

I dare say we are one of the most progressive societies on this earth, and your comment is inflammatory and unwarranted.

Stupid is as stupid does. In any country. Should I do a bit of research on social and rape case stupidity in Ireland ???

Or in UK ?? Should I ??
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Anna23 (17-12-12), EnglishBustyHolly (18-12-12), NaughyYanna (17-12-12)

Reviews

This is unfortunate and has been doing the rounds of the legal journals internationally for the last week. I'm really not that surprised, as nothing that comes out of some public figures in America surprises me at times. I would note that not all Americans are "stupid" or agree with any of this kind of nonsense.

In Ireland and the UK, the position is that consent given through fear, or failure to actively resist, is not valid consent or any kind of defence for an attacker. Established in 1982 by case of R v Olugboja, one of the defendants friends raped two of three girls they had brought back from a disco. The third girl submitted out of fear and "allowed" herself to be raped while crying after complying with a request to take off her clothes without violence or threat. It was held by Lord Justice Dunn in upholding the conviction on appeal that "The jury should be directed that consent, or the absence of it, is to be given its ordinary meaning and if need be, by way of example, that there is a difference between consent and submission; every consent involves a submission, but it by no means follows that a mere submission involves consent."
    Last edited by Banjaxed; 17-12-12 at 13:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

I dare say we are one of the most progressive societies on this earth, and your comment is inflammatory and unwarranted.

Stupid is as stupid does. In any country. Should I do a bit of research on social and rape case stupidity in Ireland ???

Or in UK ?? Should I ??

The US is a rich tapestry of many different beliefs. Whilst there are progressive minds, there are antiquated beliefs that should be left in the past.

Look at the Kids shooting. Yes, you have right minded people who want gun control. Yet before the Children are even laid to rest you you have guys looking like they are from the Dukes of Hazard talking about their constitutional rights to 'bear arms'. Let's get something straight, this isn't the wild west and the Indian's aren't coming! There is no need to walk around like Little Bill from Unforgiven!

So I maintain that there are some stupid minds in the US. But that isn't to say the whole country is daft.

The tapestry is so mixed that I want to do a tour of the country, where i can get to know the different cultures
    Last edited by Martin Mod; 17-12-12 at 13:40.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Ward For This Useful Post:

EnglishBustyHolly (18-12-12), samlad (17-12-12)

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    Hang on there, just because someone doesn't report the rape straight away doesn't make it wrong to report it later or make it any less credible.

We've seen recently loads of cases from years ago being investigated, not only as part of the Jimmy Saville inquiry but also priests.

It's not nice for a victim to convince authorities she/he has been sexually abused, recalling all the factors without those in authority belittling their claims.

Sandy x
    Last edited by Sexy Sandy 69; 17-12-12 at 13:40.
    In memory of an awesome woman Laura Lee RIP
    It's so difficult to articulate just how much she meant. Inspirational, brave and irreplaceable - our hero.
    Please do what you can for her daughter. Deeply appreciated.
    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/glasgaelauralee

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sexy Sandy 69 For This Useful Post:

Amanda Babe (17-12-12), hoglet (18-12-12), Martin Ward (17-12-12), NaughyYanna (17-12-12), Nicole (17-12-12), samlad (17-12-12), Stephanie (17-12-12)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

Or in UK ?? Should I ??

Some nations are renowned for low intelligence levels, others for low hygiene levels. Others yet...... for both
    I would agree though that people are generally fairly stupid everywhere. Just a look at this forum shall convince anyone

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna23 For This Useful Post:

NaughyYanna (17-12-12), Stephanie (17-12-12), Violette (17-12-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy Sandy 69 View Post
    Hang on there, just because someone doesn't report the rape straight away doesn't make it wrong to report it later or make it any less credible.

We've seen recently loads of cases from years ago being investigated, not only as part of the Jimmy Saville inquiry but also priests.

It's not nice for a victim to convince authorities she/he has been sexually abused, recalling all the factors without those in authority belittling their claims.

Sandy x
    I asked was he hinting at something else? and not what extracts have been taken out of what he said and twisted to mean something else which is what is being debated here. have you all read about the story or just the big bold writing designed to grab your attention?
    I'm not defending the guy nor saying what he siad is right but if someone is going to be quoted let them be quoted in full so nothing can be taken out of context..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast