Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A step to far or not enough?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by fishermansoul View Post
    I am not a smoker and never have been. I don't really like cigarett
    e smoke and I don't miss smoke in pubs. But then again I don't really like pubs either. The biggest thing that irritates me about smoking is the butts left on the ground. People who do that should be prosecuted certainly.

However despite all this I think it is none of my business what people smoke at home, in cars or even in pubs where I don't go. I think it is outrageous that people simple give up these rights without a fight. I really don't believe passive smoking is that big a risk, unless you are working in a pub.

I used to know a man who worked as a bus driver back in the days before smoking in public vehicles was banned.He didnt smoke himself but died of lung cancer which was diagnosed as being caused by breathing in other peoples cigarette smoke so believe me passive smoking most definitely is a risk.
    The Truth is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by westcorklad View Post
    [/B]

I used to know a man who worked as a bus driver back in the days before smoking in public vehicles was banned.He didnt smoke himself but died of lung cancer which was diagnosed as being caused by breathing in other peoples cigarette smoke so believe me passive smoking most definitely is a risk.
    Roy Castle also died as a result of cancer triggered by passive smoking. He never smoked, but enjoyed going to the pubs where everyone smoked.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

benin (27-07-11), westcorklad (27-07-11)

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    Roy Castle also died as a result of cancer triggered by passive smoking. He never smoked, but enjoyed going to the pubs where everyone smoked.
    ahh shit...i forgot about roy.... great guy.

as far as i can see the government think the law would be difficult to inforce unless its a blanket ban on smoking in the car... i dont smoke and was never/will never be happy with the idea of a parent smoking with a kid in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    ahh shit...i forgot about roy.... great guy.

as far as i can see the government think the law would be difficult to inforce unless its a blanket ban on smoking in the car... i dont smoke and was never/will never be happy with the idea of a parent smoking with a kid in the car.
    I'm surpised that it's not been mentioned that smoking while driving could be dangerous anyway for two other reasons; 1) sparking up while driving would mean not having full control of the vehicle and 2) if the driver dropped the cigarette while driving, it could start a fire, never mind the passive smoking lark.

My parents used to smoke in the car when me and my brother and sister were kids. They never opened the window because my mother would always be cold. I can still remember the feeling of sickness and in a sense it was good because none of us now smoke because of it, but my sister did develop bronchitis, apparently caused by passive smoking. My mother thought we were all just being melodramatic when we coughed and spluttered. Now she leaves the room to smoke if we are around. She feels really bad about it all.

I don't care if people smoke, but I do hate it when I have to breathe it in. I really don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and it annoys me when I'm walking down the street and I have to breathe the smoke someone else exhales just because they want a cigarette.
    Last edited by samlad; 27-07-11 at 21:56.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

benin (27-07-11), westcorklad (27-07-11)

Blog Entries

I'm surpised that it's not been mentioned that smoking while driving could be dangerous anyway for two other reasons; 1) sparking up while driving would mean not having full control of the vehicle and 2) if the driver dropped the cigarette while driving, it could start a fire, never mind the passive smoking lark.

My parents used to smoke in the car when me and my brother and sister were kids. They never opened the window because my mother would always be cold. I can still remember the feeling of sickness and in a sense it was good because none of us now smoke because of it, but my sister did develop bronchitis, apparently caused by passive smoking. My mother thought we were all just being melodramatic when we coughed and spluttered. Now she leaves the room to smoke if we are around. She feels really bad about it all.

I don't care if people smoke, but I do hate it when I have to breathe it in. I really don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and it annoys me when I'm walking down the street and I have to breathe the smoke someone else exhales just because they want a cigarette.
    Ya mean like changing gear? Operating the radio? Opening a window? Adjusting your sun-visor? Scratching your face?

Quote Originally Posted by monster_monster View Post
    Ya mean like changing gear? Operating the radio? Opening a window? Adjusting your sun-visor? Scratching your face?
    Or texting on a mobile phone? Opening a drink?

Blog Entries

Or texting on a mobile phone? Opening a drink?
    texting requires concentration and opening a drink is tricky when driving as the liquid could spill due to the movement of the vehicle, personally I think all the others are pretty safe. Granted when I smoke I wouldn't light up unless at a stop, but once smoking my hands are only off the wheel when passing the cigarette to my lips.

Quote Originally Posted by monster_monster View Post
    texting requires concentration and opening a drink is tricky when driving as the liquid could spill due to the movement of the vehicle, personally I think all the others are pretty safe. Granted when I smoke I wouldn't light up unless at a stop, but once smoking my hands are only off the wheel when passing the cigarette to my lips.
    I'd rather have a wet lap than a burnt pair of trousers, fella. I've seen so many people hanging their smoking hand out of the window when driving, and I'm assuming that not all of them have an automatic transmission. There's also the opening of the cigarette packet then lighting the cigarette whilst driving too; it's too much of a fumble, like opening and eating a packet of crisps while driving.

Reviews

They pass this meaningless law if they want. They said that using your mobile is illegal whilst driving, but everybody still does it.

It ain't gonna matter on the motorway doing 120

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    They pass this meaningless law if they want. They said that using your mobile is illegal whilst driving, but everybody still does it.

It ain't gonna matter on the motorway doing 120
    it's never stopped Anon anyway

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast