Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movies based on books...

Reviews

Default Movies based on books...

The phenomenon of Harry Potter has come to a close with the opening of the 8th movie in the series of the 7 books. Wait, 8 pieces of 7?? Ok... *cough* Never mind. Anyways, I saw the movie there yesterday and to be fair it is probably the best of them. Certainly warrants its rating 12A rating with all the dying, the sexy Emma Watson () and so forth. Now... Albeit a good movie, I was somewhat disappointed with it, which leads to the theme/topic of this thread [yes, for once one of LDM's threads actually has a f*cking topic].

Obviously with movies based on books, much of the original story cannot be included in the film cos the movie would be several hours long. The Harry Potter movies have certainly been no stranger to this. But this one, the epic finale, which btw only lasts roughly 2 hours long, should have contained more. First off I don't think it would have done anyone any harm to make the movie 2.5 hours long instead, including more content. There are certain things, and this includes all book derived movies, that are not in the book itself that are added and/or certain aspects of the book that are tweaked. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. And for me, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was somewhat lacking to what it could have accomplished. Yes I am a bit biased as I prefer the stories in books more so to their altered screen counterparts but still. And that ends LDM's part review of said movie.

Ok I'mma shup now for fear of going on too much and exposing my secret identity as Clark... *cough* Pardon me. So, for those of you who have seen it, what are your opinions regarding it? And for those of you in general, do you prefer the reading the original story of a book or seeing some adaptation of it on film?

Now... Let's see how long this thread will last before someone (my money's on doc, Rayden, Benny or LTG) decides to go completely off topic!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladiesman217 For This Useful Post:

benin (20-07-11), dr love (20-07-11), Nicole (20-07-11), theqm (20-07-11)

Reviews

I definitely prefer reading the original book the film is based on. There were a few of Tom Clancy's books adapted for cinema and
    weren't that great as films, the main culprits being Patriot Games & The Sum of All Fears. Both films took the basic story line and changed it way too much. Clancy even remarked about Patriot Games that it used his characters but wasn't even his story.
    Another 2 rubbish films were Raise the Titanic & Sahara, both based on Clive Cussler books.
    If books are adapted right, they can make good films.

Never have read the Potter books nor have watched any of the films,wouldn't have clue! But since you mentioned books,would comic books included?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Never got in the potter thing ldm but I thought the lord of the rings was much better .: doc
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    The phenomenon of Harry Potter has come to a close with the opening of the 8th movie in the series of the 7 books. Wait, 8 pieces of 7?? Ok... *cough* Never mind. Anyways, I saw the movie there yesterday and to be fair it is probably the best of them. Certainly warrants its rating 12A rating with all the dying, the sexy Emma Watson () and so forth. Now... Albeit a good movie, I was somewhat disappointed with it, which leads to the theme/topic of this thread [yes, for once one of LDM's threads actually has a f*cking topic].

Obviously with movies based on books, much of the original story cannot be included in the film cos the movie would be several hours long. The Harry Potter movies have certainly been no stranger to this. But this one, the epic finale, which btw only lasts roughly 2 hours long, should have contained more. First off I don't think it would have done anyone any harm to make the movie 2.5 hours long instead, including more content. There are certain things, and this includes all book derived movies, that are not in the book itself that are added and/or certain aspects of the book that are tweaked. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. And for me, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was somewhat lacking to what it could have accomplished. Yes I am a bit biased as I prefer the stories in books more so to their altered screen counterparts but still. And that ends LDM's part review of said movie.

Ok I'mma shup now for fear of going on too much and exposing my secret identity as Clark... *cough* Pardon me. So, for those of you who have seen it, what are your opinions regarding it? And for those of you in general, do you prefer the reading the original story of a book or seeing some adaptation of it on film?

Now... Let's see how long this thread will last before someone (my money's on doc, Rayden, Benny or LTG) decides to go completely off topic!
    why say it in ten words when you can fill a feckin screen...lol

i prefer the book...most times.(as for off topic...me???..never)

Quote Originally Posted by dr love View Post
    Never got in the potter thing ldm but I thought the lord of the rings was much better .: doc
    my precious....lol

book was still better than the movies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post

i like harry potter...i saw all the movies

###Back in Ireland###

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    my precious....lol

book was still better than the movies.
    Eh listen here gollum the film was better .: lol

Reviews

LOTR is a very good case for movies being equal if not better to the books. Lemme include an epic remix of it with some music from God's iPod Pretty f*cking badass.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Angel View Post
    i like harry potter...i saw all the movies
    What did you think of the lord of the rings darling .: doc xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dr love For This Useful Post:

emmasweet (20-07-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast