Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever wonder...

Reviews

It might be accurate to say that statistically there is life out in the universe, the chances of it being anything resembling us is somewhat remote (although not impossible). If sentient intelligent life has evolved on another world in the heavens, then what it looks like invariably depends on that planet's atmospheric and geological conditions, which may be completely different from the Earth.

And in any event, unless someone can disprove the Theory of Relativity to create faster-than-light travel, then there's almost no chance of us meeting them, or them meeting us, given the massive distances involved in travelling between stars. The galaxy is a vast empty desert of rocks and scorching suns - the Earth is the one oasis we have found so far.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mousey For This Useful Post:

SR71 (05-07-11)

Quote Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
    True Lucy,but in the future maybe?
    The galaxy doesnt work like that, The planets will always be two hundred years apart
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Chambers For This Useful Post:

SR71 (05-07-11)

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    It might be accurate to say that statistically there is life out in the universe, the chances of it being anything resembling us is somewhat remote (although not impossible). If sentient intelligent life has evolved on another world in the heavens, then what it looks like invariably depends on that planet's atmospheric and geological conditions, which may be completely different from the Earth.

And in any event, unless someone can disprove the Theory of Relativity to create faster-than-light travel, then there's almost no chance of us meeting them, or them meeting us, given the massive distances involved in travelling between stars. The galaxy is a vast empty desert of rocks and scorching suns - the Earth is the one oasis we have found so far.
    True...but you never know,lol...

Quote Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
    Just a question for everyone who reads this...ever wonder if there is a same(not similar)species,to us humans,out there? Not in our galaxy but beyond that. I don't know how people interpret our galaxy, but there are other planets beyond pluto,if you know what I mean.
    And all the conspiracy theories made into drama and film might suggest there is? I am a keen follower of a series called The Event,on Channel 4 and Network 2. Sadly it only has one series,the filming of the next one is put on hold due to funding. But that drama illustrates what I think of this topic.
    What are your views?
    Here is a link on wikipidea about The Event : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Event
    The feckers downgraded pluto mate...its not a planet anymore.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to benin For This Useful Post:

SR71 (05-07-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    The feckers downgraded pluto mate...its not a planet anymore.
    I don't care what those astro nuts say. Pluto is and always will be a planet in my eyes! Anyways, I have no doubt that there are species out there. Whether or not they're humanoids, we may never know. But do I believe other civilisations exist? Damn right I do.
    Last edited by ladiesman217; 05-07-11 at 20:32.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ladiesman217 For This Useful Post:

SR71 (05-07-11)

Reviews

It is kinda hard to believe that we're on the only planet that can support life. There has to be something out there somewhere, but we'll probably never know. Even if we did find out, the chances of getting there are slim to none.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to theqm For This Useful Post:

SR71 (05-07-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    Each planet is approximately 200 years apart. So if there are other life forms, we will never meet them.
    That maybe true but just because we haven't the technology to find or get to them doesn't mean they haven't got the means to travel to us, beside, they could have set off hundreds of years ago and got here already, just because we are just at the tip of our space travel doesn't mean all other possible aliens are at the same stage.
    Just a quick correction to the opening poster, Pluto is no longer considered a planet lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

SR71 (05-07-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by theqm View Post
    It is kinda hard to believe that we're on the only planet that can support life. There has to be something out there somewhere, but we'll probably never know. Even if we did find out, the chances of getting there are slim to none.
    They have found planets that resemble Earth in the Andromeda galaxy, (which I believe) is the nearest galaxy to our Milky Way....but its still a long long long way away.
    Come in she said "I'll give you shelter from the storm "

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mellors For This Useful Post:

SR71 (05-07-11)

Lol, stall the digger now people. Can we as the so called most intelligent species on this planet make up our minds? Seriously, at the begining they say pluto is a planet,now its not.Whats next,a new planet just appeared out of the black hole is it? Anyway,just have to go with the flow I suppose!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mellors View Post
    They have found planets that resemble Earth in the Andromeda galaxy, (which I believe) is the nearest galaxy to our Milky Way....but its still a long long long way away.
    One such planet I commented on in one of my news reports (for those of you who care to read the fecking things...). Here's what I said about a possible planet that could be habitable by humans:

"Moving on, scientists have discovered the first planet outside our solar system which could possibly be hospitable to human life. The planet, called Gliese 581d, is 20 light years away. Rainfall and watery oceans are possible on this planet. However, dwelling here would not be too comfortable as the atmosphere is carbon dioxide rich and gravity is twice what it is on Earth. This exoplanet has a mass of at least 5.6 times that of Earth. Gliese 581d is classified as a ‘super-Earth’."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast