Thread: Please explain Modern Art

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Please explain Modern Art

A bit of culture for a Friday afternoon.
    I was watching a programme on the Summer Exhibition at the National Gallery in London. Now dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan of paintings of pussycats and horses or whatever, and there was some great art work on display. What got me was the guy eulogising in a passionate and hyperbolic way about a lot of the art, which I always condider my young niece could come up with. These artists charge quite staggering amounts of money for their work. A particular piece he was creaming his trousers about was a neon sign by Tracey Eminn, which consisted of some of her cod philosphy. Probably worth millions. The guy down are local chipper said i could by his flashing 'Kebabs' sign for 50 notes. A good investment do you think ?
    So ...real or taking the piss ?
    (I have a bet on, how long this thread stays on topic before it is displaced by another form of art)
    Come in she said "I'll give you shelter from the storm "

Its like the "Emperors New Clothes" tale , sombody prominent says something obviously shite is very good and all the sheeplike ones follow suit and soon a new trend is started.
    Those stupid Ascot hats for example or Deelyboppers etc. Any other daft examples folks ?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mutley For This Useful Post:

EnglishAlex (17-06-11), mellors (17-06-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

you see they thought of the concept first , whether it is a shark in a tank ,or a corpse half skinned , an unmade bed or a collection of bricks, its the originality, to see everyday objects and place them in an unusal enviroment or just awakening or eyes, the most celebrated work of modern art is an urinal by duchamps, .we dont see ,the artist reawakes or visual senses...
    Last edited by Ric Hardgear; 17-06-11 at 16:18.
    a thousand kisses deep..

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ric Hardgear For This Useful Post:

adder (17-06-11), DaithiMac (17-06-11), mellors (17-06-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

picasso's sculpture the bulls head , do you see the bulls head or do you see a bit of old handlebar and a bike seat , and say jaysus i could have done that , yes you could now, because picasso showed you,
    a thousand kisses deep..

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ric Hardgear For This Useful Post:

adder (17-06-11), DaithiMac (17-06-11), mellors (17-06-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Hardgear View Post
    picasso's sculpture the bulls head , do you see the bulls head or do you see a bit of old handlebar and a bike seat , and say jaysus i could have done that , yes you could now, because picasso showed you,
    Good point,well made

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mellors For This Useful Post:

Ric Hardgear (17-06-11)

Blog Entries

Marcel Ducamp summed up Modern Art the best
    :http://www.understandingduchamp.com/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to anitasizzle For This Useful Post:

mellors (17-06-11)

Good thread

How do we know the true value of something? It is based on what somebody will pay, and there'll always be someone who wants to show off. 'I paid 5million for this pile of rubbish because Tracey Emmin said it represented her view of humanity...' I find it laughable. But others must not agree as there are still people paying a fortune for what I deem as crap.

Have to say that calling a stinking unmade bed 'Art' is beyond me. That is not art imo, that is just the doings of a lazy dirty bitch who is master of 'The Art of Convincing People' (in other words - Best Bullshitter)
    He felt her hands slide slowly up his thigh, he couldn't stop himself from growing hard. She caught his eye and in that second he knew: This erotic, sensual Lady is bold if she is anything. She would be upto mischief in no time...
    Some things never change

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EnglishAlex For This Useful Post:

mellors (17-06-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishAlex View Post
    Good thread

How do we know the true value of something? It is based on what somebody will pay, and there'll always be someone who wants to show off. 'I paid 5million for this pile of rubbish because Tracey Emmin said it represented her view of humanity...' I find it laughable. But others must not agree as there are still people paying a fortune for what I deem as crap.

Have to say that calling a stinking unmade bed 'Art' is beyond me. That is not art imo, that is just the doings of a lazy dirty bitch who is master of 'The Art of Convincing People' (in other words - Best Bullshitter)
    I understand Rics point that some of these people are innovators, but tend to agree, it seems to have a herd mentality, that because some called 'expert' says its good art, there will always be people who 'must have, must have' . As i said some of it is good art, i'd be pleased to have on my wall, but not at those prices, and some I agree is just lazy art, but is fashionable because of an elite saying it is. Some of these artists must be laughing all the way to their offshore accounts.

you see they thought of the concept first , whether it is a shark in a tank ,or a corpse half skinned , an unmade bed or a collection of bricks, its the originality, to see everyday objects and place them in an unusal enviroment or just awakening or eyes, the most celebrated work of modern art is an urinal by duchamps, .we dont see ,the artist reawakes or visual senses...
    Exactly. They came up with the apparently simple idea. You gotta ask, if it's so simple, why has no-one else done it?
    They have the originality to put the art together. That's their talent and that's what your paying for........... not that I'd buy it!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to adder For This Useful Post:

mellors (17-06-11)