Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Irish total Hypocrites ?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Are the Irish total Hypocrites ?

Something struck me over the past week as being quite amusing, it has been our reaction
    as a nation to the utterances of the visiting heads of state namely Queen Elizabeth ii and
    President Barrack Obama in our native language. In the tradition of Sile Seoige we almost
    had a National Orgasm when Obama uttered the words "Is feider linn ".Much the same
    when the Queen said "A Uachtarain agus a Chairde". It was as if our language was the
    most important thing in the world to us.
    What i find so hypocritical about this is that if u had a poll of that huge crowd that cheered
    to rafters when Obama used an Irish phrase, about the Irish language they i am certain by
    a huge majority dismiss it as being a useless dead language that should not take a prominent
    place in our education system. This is not about the Irish language in particular but it just
    happened to stick out as a great example of our shallowness over the past week we will use
    something to show ourselves as being patriotic when it suits us but as soon as it requires a
    bit of effort we abandon ship
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    Something struck me over the past week as being quite amusing, it has been our reaction
    as a nation to the utterances of the visiting heads of state namely Queen Elizabeth ii and
    President Barrack Obama in our native language. In the tradition of Sile Seoige we almost
    had a National Orgasm when Obama uttered the words "Is feider linn ".Much the same
    when the Queen said "A Uachtarain agus a Chairde". It was as if our language was the
    What i find so hypocritical about this is that if u had a poll of that huge crowd that cheered
    to rafters when Obama used an Irish phrase, about the Irish language they i am certain by
    a huge majority dismiss it as being a useless dead language that should not take a prominent
    place in our education system. This is not about the Irish language in particular but it just
    happened to stick out as a great example of our shallowness over the past week we will use
    something to show ourselves as being patriotic when it suits us but as soon as it requires a
    In general I find I agree with you, but its more than jus the language, its the cultural identity seperator, it is the one thing that sets us apart from other "english" speaking countries. The great irony is that Hiberno English is much more sophisticated and culturally unique than any other form of English, but we somehow need Irish as our clear identifier.

On a more positive note, I think there is more Irish around in the ether these days than say ten years ago, and I find that I am using Irish on a regular basis at least once a week in my work so that can't be bad.

Also I don't think I remember Queen Elizabeth II using another native language during state visits, I suspect her using it was to show she was here as an equal and not as a colonial conqueror! just a thought.

Beir Bua

you dont think we as a nation were just impresed that the visiting heads of state took the trouble to learn a few words of irish then????..i mean the queen is in her eightys.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Do you know, you are so right. I didnt think of that way. Pretending to have such pride in something we patently do not. Its not good is it ?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    you dont think we as a nation were just impresed that the visiting heads of state took the trouble to learn a few words of irish then????..i mean the queen is in her eightys.
    When we dont really take the trouble ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ksteve View Post
    When we dont really take the trouble ourselves.
    agreed we dont ..but that does not take away from how special it was to see the 85 year old queen of england bothering.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    agreed we dont ..but that does not take away from how special it was to see the 85 year old queen of england bothering.
    I was far more impressed with her drive , stamina and general attitude than her cupla focal !!

I was far more impressed with her drive , stamina and general attitude than her cupla focal !!
    thats nice.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Have to admit she is a gamey old lady, throwing a big bash for Obama tonight was also really funny to hear Obama talking about
    his mothers English connections today guess her Irishness didnt last long lol
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Have to admit she is a gamey old lady, throwing a big bash for Obama tonight was also really funny to hear Obama talking about
    his mothers English connections today guess her Irishness didnt last long lol
    are we straying off topic in a ber thread?...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast