Thread: today in history

Reviews

Default today in history

1877 – Russo-Turkish War: Russian Empire declares war on Ottoman Empire.

1906 - Son of an Irish father, William Joyce aka 'Lord Haw-Haw'; fascist and broadcaster of Nazi propaganda in World War II is born in Brooklyn, New York

1916 – Easter Rising: The Irish Republican Brotherhood led by nationalists Patrick Pearse, James Connolly, and Joseph Plunkett starts a rebellion in Ireland.

1951 - Birth of Enda Kenny, leader of Fine Gael

1998 - The second-largest ever construction project in the history of the State, a £120m drainage system designed to make Cork's River Lee and Lough Mahon pollution free in four years time and create up to 500 jobs during construction, is announced

2005 – Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger is inaugurated as the 265th Pope of the Roman Catholic Church taking the name Pope Benedict XVI.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Big-Paul For This Useful Post:

sexy lady (24-04-11)

Reviews

Irishmen and Irishwomen: In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom.

Stirring words; it's hard to believe that the locals (Dubs, whaddya expect from them scumbags?) actually laughed at Pearse while he was reading out the proclamation. I probably would have been making plans to get the fuck out of the city before the shooting started.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mousey For This Useful Post:

Big-Paul (24-04-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

95 years on and we still haven't made the country that those men dreamed of.

In fact as soon as the British left, the Catholic Church stepped it to the void, then there was the whole corrupt politician culture and finally the greedy bankers.

I just hope we have finally started to fix our three problems and by 2016 there is some sign of a change.
    Last edited by Bumble; 24-04-11 at 09:12.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumble For This Useful Post:

Big-Paul (24-04-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    Irishmen and Irishwomen: In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom.

Stirring words; it's hard to believe that the locals (Dubs, whaddya expect from them scumbags?) actually laughed at Pearse while he was reading out the proclamation. I probably would have been making plans to get the fuck out of the city before the shooting started.
    Stirring words indeed I wonder what the fathers of the Nation would think of the shitehawks who left the country in the mess its in today.................... I think I probably would be right behind you on the way out before the shooting started