Thread: on this day

Reviews

Default on this day

1816 - Daughter of an Irish father, Charlotte Bronte, eldest of the three Bronte Sisters and author of Jane Eyre, is born

1895 - In New York City, Woodville Latham demonstrated the first moving picture projected on a screen.

1901 - Death of James Stephens, Kilkenny-born founder of the Irish Republican Brotherhood

1916 - The Aud arrives at Banna Strand, Co. Kerry, from Germany with 20,000 rifles for use of the Volunteers in the Easter Uprising; they are discovered by the British and the crew scuttles the ship. Roger Casement, who is following behind the Aud in a submarine, lands safely, but is captured later

1918 - Manfred von Richthofen, Germany's top aviator in World War I, was killed in action. Known as the Red Baron, he shot down 80 enemy aircraft.

1945 - Soviet forces assaulted the headquarters of the German High Command in south Berlin.

1994 - 'Guildford Four' man, Paul Hill, wins his appeal against a conviction for an IRA murder in Northern Ireland

Reviews

And I just thought today was another sunny Thursday today??

Nice one Big Paul. Great info - keeps life in perspective for me.

(Someday you're gonner have to let us in on your secret knowlege treasure chest!
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Morpheus For This Useful Post:

Big-Paul (21-04-11)