Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euro exchange?

Blog Entries

Smile Euro exchange?

Having been in Belfast for a few days I'm looking at future touring and incorporating visits to Northern Ireland and Ireland.

My question is if I work in Ireland and take euro's can I spend them or bank them while I am there? Will I get charged an exchange rate to go back to pounds stirling? Can I spend my pounds stirling over there?

Sorry if this is all common sense stuff, but we all start somewhere.

Many thanks in advance x

Reviews

You can use pounds sterling in the North, but not in the Republic, it being a different country and all

If you are anywhere around Newry they will take punts.

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    Having been in Belfast for a few days I'm looking at future touring and incorporating visits to Northern Ireland and Ireland.

My question is if I work in Ireland and take euro's can I spend them or bank them while I am there? Will I get charged an exchange rate to go back to pounds stirling? Can I spend my pounds stirling over there?

Sorry if this is all common sense stuff, but we all start somewhere.

Many thanks in advance x
    You can do either, if you bank though you will have to open a Irish account as the English banks wont accept deposits in ROI. I change mine on the ferry, the rate is excellent, but Paris B knows of somewhere in Dublin. You can also purchase a sterling draft and send that home.

Are you on the private forum yet chick?
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    You can do either, if you bank though you will have to open a Irish account as the English banks wont accept deposits in ROI. I change mine on the ferry, the rate is excellent, but Paris B knows of somewhere in Dublin. You can also purchase a sterling draft and send that home.

I can also give you a few pointers for changing your money to euros.

RETURNING TO THE EMERALD ISLE SHORTLY
    ❤❤❤❤

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post

Yes I am, but I forgot lol. I'll make a few notes of questions I have popping in my head and go there for it. Thanks xxx

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    You can use pounds sterling in the North, but not in the Republic, it being a different country and all
    As Mousey says plus you can bank any currency and yes there will be an exchange rate to change them to sterling ,
    Some shops(very few) in the republic of Ireland will let you shop with pounds,but the catch is they only give you a 1 for 1 exchange, example: if you buy a bottle of water for say €1 if your paying in pounds they"ll want £1 and with the pound been worth more that's the catch,iv came across maybe 3 or 4 like this...always better changing to legal currency in the bank,or if you can afford it keep any pounds you have till you return to England/northern Ireland or vice versa
    Last edited by BIGTYM2010; 13-04-11 at 16:37.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Its a bit depressing when you change euros to sterling.
    Come in she said "I'll give you shelter from the storm "

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mellors For This Useful Post:

Big-Paul (13-04-11), BIGTYM2010 (13-04-11), Ebony Amber (13-04-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

My experience is that exchanging in Ireland is better than exchanging in the UK. The best thing would be find someone who has the opposite problem, i.e. lives in the Republic but tours the UK, and you can both avoid the commissions.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by willyup View Post
    If you are anywhere around Newry they will take punts.
    Really ..... Jaysus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast