Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A helping hand ? No way, you are on your own.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    You know how I feel mate, well done
    I do, Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by punterminator View Post
    Yup, guy who collapsed was a toe-rag looking for a quick buck.
    Thats just sick..

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nick2010 View Post
    Good to see you back xxxx
    Thanks Nick
    Wasn't really away, just lurking Didn't have anything to say.

Reviews

Like you Dave, I've done a few first aid courses and my instructor told me this story about some peoples' mindset about helping others.

Apparently it happened in England a few years ago. A lifeguard was on duty at a public swimming pool. A little girl under 10 years of age tried to dive into the pool but bellyflopped - she hit the bottom of the pool with her head and chest. She had done catastrophic damage to both parts of her body, but when the lifeguard saw the bloom of blood in the water, he fished her out and lay her down on the deck.

There was no pulse that he could detect and she was not breathing. Unable to tell that her sternum and ribs had been cracked by the impact on the bottom of the pool, he pushed down onto her chest as per normal CPR - her breastbone and ribs gave way, and it was game over for the poor wee girl.

After the ambulance and police had been and gone, and several days later, he was arrested following a complaint from the child's parents who alleged that he had been the one that killed their daughter with his mishandling of CPR. They had launched both a civil and criminal action against him. He was suspended from his job pending the investigation, the local newspapers were all over the story, and everyone who knew him indirectly looked at him like he was a murderer.

This whole thing went on for over a month until the coroner's results were made public. The coroner had found that the initial skull fracture was the cause of death, not the attempt at CPR. In his report, he stated clearly that the lifeguard was not at fault, was adhering to the principles of first aid and would have been completely unable to tell that the child was mortally injured.

The case apparently led to the passing of a Good Samaritan law in the UK - if you stop to help someone and unknowingly compound their injuries, or (for example) assist in the preservation of the life of someone who has a DNR order, you cannot be prosecuted for it. I'm not sure how clear the law is - for example, could you be prosecuted if you were not a first aider and you made a hames of whatever you were trying to do to help - but as far as I know, Ireland has no such Good Samaritan law.
    Last edited by Mousey; 08-04-11 at 18:12.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    Like you Dave, I've done a few first aid courses and my instructor told me this story about some peoples' mindset about helping others.

Apparently it happened in England a few years ago. A lifeguard was on duty at a public swimming pool. A little girl under 10 years of age tried to dive into the pool but bellyflopped - she hit the bottom of the pool with her head and chest. She had done catastrophic damage to both parts of her body, but when the lifeguard saw the bloom of blood in the water, he fished her out and lay her down on the deck.

There was no pulse that he could detect and she was not breathing. Unable to tell that her sternum and ribs had been cracked by the impact on the bottom of the pool, he pushed down onto her chest as per normal CPR - her breastbone and ribs gave way, and it was game over for the poor wee girl.

After the ambulance and police had been and gone, and several days later, he was arrested following a complaint from the child's parents who alleged that he had been the one that killed their daughter with his mishandling of CPR. They had launched both a civil and criminal action against him. He was suspended from his job pending the investigation, the local newspapers were all over the story, and everyone who knew him indirectly looked at him like he was a murderer.

This whole thing went on for over a month until the coroner's results were made public. The coroner had found that the initial skull fracture was the cause of death, not the attempt at CPR. In his report, he stated clearly that the lifeguard was not at fault, was adhering to the principles of first aid and would have been completely unable to tell that the child was mortally injured.

The case apparently led to the passing of a Good Samaritan law in the UK - if you stop to help someone and unknowingly compound their injuries, or (for example) assist in the preservation of the life of someone who has a DNR order, you cannot be prosecuted for it. I'm not sure how clear the law is - for example, could you be prosecuted if you were not a first aider and you made a hames of whatever you were trying to do to help - but as far as I know, Ireland has no such Good Samaritan law.
    I do know from the courses I've done that in Ireland there is what is known as implied consent, which allows you to give aid to an unconcious person without fear of repercussions.

The good Samaritan law is there to protect someone who has had recognised training. I think it only applies to qualified people in Ireland.

I saw a man flat on the ground a few years ago long coat with his dog beside him almost everyone passed by I stayed with him with 2 people I called the guards they were there within minutes turned him on his side & about 6 cans of Guinness fell from his pocket he came to within minutes a drink induced sleep

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefHandker View Post
    Yep the lack of manners and common courtesy is bewildering sometimes. Recently on a very wet and cold day i was waiting for a bus, we were waiting about 40 or 50 minutes so by the time it arrived there were well over 20 people ready to get on and out of the rain... So as not to obstruct the footpath, 2 lines formed, 1 person going in from each at a time etc. Anyway, there was a blind woman about 3 or 4 people in front of me, when she got to the head of our queue, the other one didn't even stop for her. It's not like they didn't notice, the 2 lines were practically facing each other, and yet here's this woman with the white stick and golden retriever waiting in the rain and getting pushed in front of. She should'nt have even had to queue nevermind being skipped, absolutely disgusting.
    I feel pity for the poor blind woman but what I pity more is the rest of the people that did so. Can you imagine how "wonderful" they are in their lives? And what their kids will be like ?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amy Alison For This Useful Post:

Big-Paul (08-04-11), mellors (08-04-11)

Reviews

Its a sad reflection on the modern so city in which we live, the I am all right Jack syndrome has well and truly taken hold in recent times this woman was lucky that the op had the courage of his convictions to stop and at least try and help I can only amuse that the people who passed by and totally ignored the situation had a fear of litigation or something its still not a good enough excuse for this behaviour.I wonder if the boot was on the other foot and it was one of the people who passed by without a single thought for the plight of another human being would feel if the situation were to be reversed and it was them who needed the help of a stranger,would they be happy to accept that no one was willing to help for what ever reason, I don't think so its something we all should think about as no one knows the hour or minute someone or indeed ourselves may be in such a predicament where we need help or be in a position to give help,Food for thought indeed . Fair play dave1dave for stooping and I for one salute you

Reviews

Well done and fair play to you for helping. The people that walk past might need help like that one day.
    “Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same”
    Alan Ball

Justice For The 96

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefHandker View Post
    Yep the lack of manners and common courtesy is bewildering sometimes. Recently on a very wet and cold day i was waiting for a bus, we were waiting about 40 or 50 minutes so by the time it arrived there were well over 20 people ready to get on and out of the rain... So as not to obstruct the footpath, 2 lines formed, 1 person going in from each at a time etc. Anyway, there was a blind woman about 3 or 4 people in front of me, when she got to the head of our queue, the other one didn't even stop for her. It's not like they didn't notice, the 2 lines were practically facing each other, and yet here's this woman with the white stick and golden retriever waiting in the rain and getting pushed in front of. She should'nt have even had to queue nevermind being skipped, absolutely disgusting.
    That's a just abysmal that's not just bad manners its a total lack of humanity and common decency it bewilders me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123