Thread: Beware of "Windows recovery" Trojan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews

Angry Beware of "Windows recovery" Trojan

I had to leave my laptop with a pc doctor today after getting hit with a trojan called Windows Recovery. It tries to make you think you have problems with your hard drive and you get a black screen with a window offering a scan and then tells you you need to pay for an advanced version to get rid of the problems it finds. Do not follow the link and pay with your credit card or you will be screwed. I dont know which site it was I picked it up on but it wasn't here.
    Just letting you all know in case you come accross it. I use Firefox browser instead of internet Explorer and in 4 years never had a problem. Guess it's time to renew my virus subscription.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pez For This Useful Post:

benin (25-03-11), BIGTYM2010 (26-03-11), Devil_Angel (25-03-11), Fitzy (25-03-11), Forrest (26-03-11), lovethegirls (26-03-11), magicalman9357 (25-03-11), mellors (25-03-11), samlad (25-03-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I got infected a few weeks back. "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" is free and sloves the problem.

Took me ages to find a solution but got there in the end. The killer is that it won't let u run a browser. So safe mode has to be used to get the fixing software.

I got infected on a PS3 gaming site looking for a walkthrough.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Exact same thing is on my laptop now thanks for the heads up .thank god I have the I-pad or I'd be lost because I'll never think of bringing that to the shop
    If you have any information in relation to human trafficking/pimped ladies

*Act responsibly freephone 1800 25 00 25 *

That one call could save a life

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pez View Post
    I had to leave my laptop with a pc doctor today after getting hit with a trojan called Windows Recovery. It tries to make you think you have problems with your hard drive and you get a black screen with a window offering a scan and then tells you you need to pay for an advanced version to get rid of the problems it finds. Do not follow the link and pay with your credit card or you will be screwed. I dont know which site it was I picked it up on but it wasn't here.
    Just letting you all know in case you come accross it. I use Firefox browser instead of internet Explorer and in 4 years never had a problem. Guess it's time to renew my virus subscription.

All you needed to do was shutdown laptop,turn on press f8, go to reboot and then follow the instructions to wipe everything,
    i use firefox aswell and have had similar problems with trojans, thats what ive did and laptop just as good as it was the day got it,ofcourse loose everything,but only takes bout an hour 2max to install everything again,i have started using AVG free addition and its worked well so far,thanx for your advice anyway,gota be careful what ya download these days

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker85 View Post
    All you needed to do was shutdown laptop,turn on press f8, go to reboot and then follow the instructions to wipe everything,
    i use firefox aswell and have had similar problems with trojans, thats what ive did and laptop just as good as it was the day got it,ofcourse loose everything,but only takes bout an hour 2max to install everything again,i have started using AVG free addition and its worked well so far,thanx for your advice anyway,gota be careful what ya download these days
    Two hours plus waste of your life. Just run Spybot S&D, try an anti-virus software like AVG if that doesn't work.

And above all: Don't go clicking on exe files or running scripts from dodgy websites!!!

Reviews

AVG is the way to go - free but effective

Reviews

2011 and people still don't know how to protect themselves. Madness.
    Empty vessels makes the most noise.

200+ not out.