Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy Byte : Religion

Reviews

Default Philosophy Byte : Religion

Religion was invented to keep the human race from self destruction.

We all have enough intelligence to ask the big questions like .... is there a god ? Are we alone in the universe ? Where did we come from ?

Yet we don't have enough intelligence to enable ourselves find the answers. And that's not good because as a race, humans don't like that kind of uncertainty. It causes us to become unstable and ask dodgy questions like ... why bother ?

In steps religion to give us something to believe in or hope for, so we don't all go mass crazy.

Religion. The biggest and greatest band aid on the frabic of world society ever.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

And the greatest story ever told .: doc
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

Two good questions

1. Does God exist

2. Does Patricia exist

lol

Reviews

I have a religion which gives me the hope to carry on. Sure, I only devote a little bit of my time each week to it. Usually on a Saturday evening and on the odd occasion if I'm really feeling in need of comfort, midweek. I donate a small sum to it each week also.

Sometimes my faith is tested and I question is it all worth it?

But I continue to believe.

One day it shall lead me to salvation and the promised land.

I share this religion with millions of people in Ireland.

My religion?

The Lotto !
    Last edited by Bruno69; 25-03-11 at 00:00.

Blog Entries

Great to watch

The Zeitgeist Film Series Gateway | Zeitgeist: The Movie, Zeitgeist: Addendum, Zeitgeist Moving Forward

It covers religion,politics,economy...........the major ways of social manipulation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaJessy For This Useful Post:

Bruno69 (25-03-11)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaJessy View Post
    Great to watch

The Zeitgeist Film Series Gateway | Zeitgeist: The Movie, Zeitgeist: Addendum, Zeitgeist Moving Forward

It covers religion,politics,economy...........the major ways of social manipulation.
    watched that a few years ago, found the guys voice a little creepy and preachy. A lot of the things he touches on are unsubstantiated and just seems to say the same thing over and over but just changes the words slightly, especially the 911 stuff.

The religion stuff is 2,000 years old so don't really pay too much attention to it

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post

We all have enough intelligence to ask the big questions like .... is there a god ? Are we alone in the universe ? Where did we come from ?

Yet we don't have enough intelligence to enable ourselves find the answers. And that's not good because as a race, humans don't like that kind of uncertainty. It causes us to become unstable and ask dodgy questions like ... why bother ?

In steps religion to give us something to believe in or hope for, so we don't all go mass crazy.

Religion. The biggest and greatest band aid on the frabic of world society ever.
    Apart from the fact that religion has caused more wars and been responsible for more people dying than any other, hasn't really been very successful at stopping human society going a bit crazy. However, keeping people poor through fear and guilt they have been good at. All very christian
    Come in she said "I'll give you shelter from the storm "

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mellors For This Useful Post:

dr love (25-03-11)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monster_monster View Post
    watched that a few years ago, found the guys voice a little creepy and preachy. A lot of the things he touches on are unsubstantiated and just seems to say the same thing over and over but just changes the words slightly, especially the 911 stuff.

The religion stuff is 2,000 years old so don't really pay too much attention to it
    I've found it interesting to watch,is a different view.I like different views,not everybody is able to have one,in general humans are just like sheeps,they go all in the same direction.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaJessy View Post
    I've found it interesting to watch,is a different view.I like different views,not everybody is able to have one,in general humans are just like sheeps,they go all in the same direction.
    it was interesting but it could of been shortened, there was a lot of stuff that should of been left out as it was just reiterating a point the movie had already made. In my opinion this could of made a great 45-60 min documentary. When I turned on the second one and heard the same narrators voice and saw that it too was 2 hours long I took the executive decision not to bother watching it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to monster_monster For This Useful Post:

JessicaJessy (25-03-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post

Humans don't like any kind of uncertainty, which is a problem most of the time, since we rarely have enough information to make reliable judgments one way or the other. You can see that here all the time. Whenever there is any kind of dispute there are people who rush to take one side or the other, when it would often be better just to accept that we will never know where the truth lies.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast