Thread: be aware

Reviews

Default be aware

It appears that as well as several members of the Today FM getting skimmed at a nearby ATM, the President’s husband Martin McAleese also got skimmed recently. It seems to be a growing problem. You need to be vigilant.

The pictures below show where a card skimming device is hidden and placed over the genuine green card slot. In the first you can see where it obscures some of the bank logo (AIB in this case). The second shows the removal of the skimming device.

Keep your eyes open for loose ATM parts or sticky adhesive and just don’t use the ATM if you’re at all suspicious.

For more information on how to protect yourself from ATM fraud, head to the SafeCard Website here.

Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show Blog > Be aware: ATM Skimming Devices

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mr gear For This Useful Post:

Blonde Alexa (24-03-11), Devil_Angel (24-03-11), dr love (24-03-11), dunlin (24-03-11), Irish Fiona (24-03-11), JAMESCORK (24-03-11), lovethegirls (24-03-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Just viewed very interesting and simple as to how they operate . I'll cover the keypad from now on .; doc
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

Quote Originally Posted by mr gear View Post
    It appears that as well as several members of the Today FM getting skimmed at a nearby ATM, the President’s husband Martin McAleese also got skimmed recently. It seems to be a growing problem. You need to be vigilant.

The pictures below show where a card skimming device is hidden and placed over the genuine green card slot. In the first you can see where it obscures some of the bank logo (AIB in this case). The second shows the removal of the skimming device.

Keep your eyes open for loose ATM parts or sticky adhesive and just don’t use the ATM if you’re at all suspicious.

For more information on how to protect yourself from ATM fraud, head to the SafeCard Website here.

Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show Blog > Be aware: ATM Skimming Devices
    and if you do spot one, resist the temptation to go taking it off for better look, the people doing it will be close by and not to keen on losing it so just act cool, walk away and call the guards and always cover the hand thats entering the number, I enter two digits with other hand over and then move that hand to a dif position and enter the rest so as to counter what angle a hidden camera might be positioned.
    Last edited by Quarterpoundher; 24-03-11 at 18:57.

Reviews

Terrible what they can do these days. A lads father i used to work with was robbed that way for a right few bob a while back. Always wary of using them ever since but day to day activities means you have to.
    “Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same”
    Alan Ball

Justice For The 96

All thieving and robbery has gone up, hand bag robbing, mostly the purses out of them in pubs etc.
    Make sure you have very secure bags ladies!!!!

Reviews

my advice to anyone using dese machines only use the ones in the banks or just outside the banks.dey are watched more so then just normal atm machines at shops and avoid atm machines with just bunkers as no one is ever watching the cameras on them.

Reviews

According to a paper yesterday they caught a gang who were operating this,east european in origin i believe.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    All thieving and robbery has gone up, hand bag robbing, mostly the purses out of them in pubs etc.
    Make sure you have very secure bags ladies!!!!
    Agreed. Petty crime has become more and more rampant out there these past months and years.

My tip it to only use ATM's located in very busy spots like the ones found inside many banks these days for example. And an A5 note book held over the hand punching in the PIN is useful too, or some other such thing to cover what you're doing.

Similar to QPH, a friend told me he covers his hand and while punching in the PIN he purposefully tips every key multiple times very quickly at random and only really presses down on the correct four. He spends 5 to ten seconds punching in his PIN and it makes it near impossible to know which buttons he really pressed. It took some practice he tells me but has the manouvre down to perfection now.

Reviews

Heard about this on the radio the other day....listener texted in to say that there is a credit union doing ATM cards.

When you use the card you get a txt msg within a couple of minutes....very clever and so simple!!

Why can't the banks do something so simple!