Thread: IT Tralee

Default IT Tralee

Scare tactics and lies used to emphasise the point. When similar scare stories about drugs have been disproved it becomes counter productive and leads to more not less risk taking. When they have a genuine problem will people believe their stats?

Hogwarts: warning of genital warts epidemic at IT Tralee
    21/03/2011 12:51 pmAn email sent out to all IT Tralee students warning of a genital warts outbreak affecting "every second student" was a "stretch of the truth", according to the college's welfare officer.

The email initially outlined the extent of the epidemic, dubbed the "Dose of Tralee" at "Hogwarts", and was published on social news website Reddit Ireland.

In the email, sent from the Vice President's address to all students, it says: "Students. Please be advised that there is a genital warts epidemic in the college."

"I have been contacted by the Gum clinic who have said that every second student that appears to them from the college, is either carrying the virus or has visible warts."

The email also alerts students to appointment times for check-ups and that "this is not a joke".

When contacted by JOE.ie, IT Tralee's welfare officer told us that the "epidemic" email was a stretch of the truth but that it has raised great awareness among students and has them all talking.

"It was a stretch of the truth but I still think it's very important that students get checked out," Katie, the welfare officer at IT Tralee said.

"They [the students] are all talking about it and saying, 'I can't believe it, I can't believe it'. One in two students haven't been screened so there's no big epidemic."

Blog Entries

believe it or believe it not, but here is the actual email that was sent:

Sorry guys the image is too big to post but you can view it HERE
    Last edited by monster_monster; 23-03-11 at 14:31.

I wonder if the clinic contacted them at all. That has to be a breach of confidentially if they did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alterego31 View Post
    I wonder if the clinic contacted them at all. That has to be a breach of confidentially if they did.
    not if they don't give personal information and just keep it general. Sure Vodafone can tell you that X% of the population have a phone with them, it's the same thing

But coming out and telling the institution stigmatises the whole campus, especially if they claim the number is 50% . If they can go to your job/college and tell your boss/dean that x amount of his employees/students have a STD when it wasnt a college/company medical is a breach of trust. I would agree if this was a college run and paid for service. I dont think it was though.

Blog Entries

they told the student union and not the college, they also never said X students have it, what they did say was that X% of students being tested have it. We have reports like this all the time, that info was then passed on to other students by the Union. As for the unions emails, well that's just wrong as some of the info is incorrect such as GW being curable, they ARE NOT. They are treatable, even preventable (if you get the HPV vaccine) but the fact the SU put curable is very stupid as people may not worry about them is they think the warts can just be got rid of, like a dose of crabs.