Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Unmoderated Section

  1. #1

    Default Unmoderated Section

    Can get get a new section added to the forum, which would be largely unmoderated?

    I think that would be a fair way of dealing with the frequent [ complaints about ] excessive moderation.

    The idea would be that if you're an idiot, addicted to reporting posts, or a delicate baby, who takes offence at stuff strangers write on an internet forum, that you stay out of this section.

    The only moderation I would think would be necessary would be the removal of spam, or anything that could get the site sued. The section would only become visible when a person logs in.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    31,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markon View Post
    Can get get a new section added to the forum, which would be largely unmoderated?

    I think that would be a fair way of dealing with the frequent [ complaints about ] excessive moderation.

    The idea would be that if you're an idiot, addicted to reporting posts, or a delicate baby, who takes offence at stuff strangers write on an internet forum, that you stay out of this section.

    The only moderation I would think would be necessary would be the removal of spam, or anything that could get the site sued. The section would only become visible when a person logs in.
    It would be a terrible idea. Many things that are removed are because of legal issues anyway, although many people don't always pick up on some of the subtleties of these messages and the intentions behind them.

  3. #3

    Default

    OK, maybe, but you lock stuff on a whim.

    The section I'm describing would be a haven away from that.

  4. #4

    Default

    Also it would be hidden to non-logged-in users.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    31,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markon View Post
    OK, maybe, but you lock stuff on a whim.

    The section I'm describing would be a haven away from that.
    Things are only locked when we think it's neccessary. There is always a reason for doing so and it's usually explained to the OP or group of people involved.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,282
    Reviews
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markon View Post
    Can get get a new section added to the forum, which would be largely unmoderated?

    I think that would be a fair way of dealing with the frequent [ complaints about ] excessive moderation.

    The idea would be that if you're an idiot, addicted to reporting posts, or a delicate baby, who takes offence at stuff strangers write on an internet forum, that you stay out of this section.

    The only moderation I would think would be necessary would be the removal of spam, or anything that could get the site sued. The section would only become visible when a person logs in.
    We have one already, it's called "Toilet Duck", I dunno if it is still running.

    https://www.escort-ireland.com/board...ilet-duck.html

    Read through it my friend.
    Once a prick - always a prick.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Paranoia Dept.
    Posts
    2,325

    Default

    FWIW- I'm a member of a very similar Punting Forum here in the US- on that board there's one section that's ( broadly apart from libel/ethic slurs etc) un-moderated.. and that's "Politics".
    Now I'd be the first to concede that due to different legal environments and approach to free speech, this may not be transferable for pragmatic reasons but it's food for thought.

    I haven't really had time to follow all details of the shenanigans which have to led to the OP starting this thread but can't help but observe in the past two months EI seems to be eating itself from the inside out- if a solution isn't found soon, it's seems clear EI may be damaged very badly!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    815
    Reviews
    2

    Default

    i think that allowing any poster be they a new member or a member of long standing post a post thats insulting and abusive and raceist to any natonality or race will do more damage to this site than the moderation.
    i do agree that some of the moderation does sometimes seem a bit heavy handed but in most cases its fair and the only people that have a problem with it are the friends of the poster that has gotten banned.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Look behind you
    Posts
    16,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayf1 View Post
    i think that allowing any poster be they a new member or a member of long standing post a post thats insulting and abusive and raceist to any natonality or race will do more damage to this site than the moderation.
    i do agree that some of the moderation does sometimes seem a bit heavy handed but in most cases its fair and the only people that have a problem with it are the friends of the poster that has gotten banned.

    I take it you are still a wee bit pissed at the Alec Horan thing then?

    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

    Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Chambers For This Useful Post:

    hornylimerick (17-02-11)

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In a cathouse
    Posts
    3,548
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    26

    Default

    Quite a while ago, I remember having a discussion with Alec. The question was, is there something you can post which is so absurd that no one here will be dumb enough to take it seriously? We thought probably not, but he wanted to be sure. I forget what he posted, but it was as crazy as he could manage. And Alec is very good at posting crazy things. The results of that experiment showed that no, there appears to be nothing so absurd that no one here will be dumb enough to take it seriously.

    “I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to El Gordo For This Useful Post:

    Banned User (17-02-11), hornylimerick (17-02-11), Lucy Chambers (17-02-11), monster_monster (19-02-11), rover (17-02-11)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •