Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym pain

Reviews

Default Gym pain

Decided to lose weight so I joined a gym.

I weighed in at 96Kg and my target weight is 90Kg so as an incentive I decided to forgo the pleasure of the ladies on EI till I had reached my target weight.

I have been working hard and going to the gym 5 times a week, I also play sport twice a week but progress has been slow.

On the plus side I feel great, sleeping better than ever and high energy levels.

The weight is slowly coming off but not as quickly as I had hoped - at this rate it will be April before I get to see anyone.

I don't want to diet to lose the weight, I already watch what I eat and I don't drink that often so any tips?

Reviews

Despite all the information available, there is only 1 simple rule to be obeyed - burn up more calories than you take in.

If you work out that much in the gym, guess what? Yeah - you're appetite is going to rocket, so it's very hard not to eat more than you would normally.

So, no, no tips. There is no shortcut. Any advise you receive will just be this rule in some form or other.

But good luck with it.
    The Gods are just, and of our pleasant vices
    Make instruments to plague us

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotus For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (10-02-11), ThomasJ (10-02-11)

Reviews

I believe fat turns to muscle.
    I never lose weight, but I do change shape.
    Personally I'd focus more on being fit and toned than worrying about the figures.

Also I personal believe lady pleasures play an important part in a calorie controlled diet and successful gym regime.

If you say that the weight is slowly coming off then i would think your doing enough to try and lose weight maybe even cut down on going five days a week because your body needs time to recover and build muscle that was broken down through weight training also one of the best things to do for cardio is the rowing machine,works a lot of muslces and is one of the best things for losing weight...i think working on yr abs can burn a lot of stomach fat as well...and try not to over do it because you could do yrself serious injury....as i learnt myself when lifting weights recently to target my shoulders...i actually heard the muscle in my neck tear..lol..
    Last edited by Apollo1; 10-02-11 at 12:19.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo1 For This Useful Post:

ThomasJ (10-02-11)

Reviews

i started back to the gym in summer last year, I went 5 times a week until november, I lost 2'' off my waist but i gained 5kg, so i agree with OnlyMe, you might not lose wait but you'll loss inches.

If going 5 times a week you need to alternate the parts of the body your working out on, I have 3 different ones upper body, stomach and lower body.

I also used to do cardio before and after weights but i changed to just after and i noticed the difference immediately, your heart rate is increased by the the weight training so you burn more fat at doing cardio at the end of your workout, but it is a lot more difficult, i limit myself to 20-30 mins cardio a day, usually 20 mins and 30 if i'm in the mood to push myself.

Scotus is also correct you need burn up more calories than you take in, but you need to be eating right type of calories too

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hornylimerick For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (10-02-11), ThomasJ (10-02-11)

Reviews

I do lower middle body work outs as often as possible.
    Usually twice a week, used to manage an hour but lately I'v been sticking with the half hour appointments, err I mean gym time.
    Same thing, just one is fun.

Reviews

Keep working hard the way you are and you'll get there. Theres no quick solution. Your doing something right as your losing weight slowly. Have bit of patience you'll get there. Even if your not noticing much weight been loss that isn't abad thing as the guys said some of that is turned into muscle.
    Help Keyla in her fight with cancer. Every little helps.
    It could happen to any of us.
    https://gofund.me/8e340537

Reviews

Great advice so far from everyone. I must second the ideas put forward by others, and say that you shouldn't pay too much attention to the numbers on the scale, as you will be building muscle at the same time as you are burning off fat, so the number you should be looking at is your waist measurements, and perhaps the measurements for the rest of your body and even you Body Mass Index (BMI). These are all much better indicators of your overall health than anything else.

But to go a bit further with the general idea put out there about 'burning off more than you take in', there's one thing that you MUST pay attention to if you are to take-off and keep-off weight-- you must ALSO change your DIET! This is essential to proper weightloss, and for keeping it off in the future. So remember to try and eat a bit healthier, no late-night eating (which is certainly my own biggest weakness), and remember to note your intake of alcohol; most types of beer have quite a few calories in them, and a long session at the pub can pack in over 1,000 calories (which is nearly half the recommended number of calories for most men in the course of a day), and then a trip to the chipper before going home to bed will only negate any good you've done for yourself earlier in the gym.

So best of luck with your new lifestyle, hope it all goes well for ya!
    Last edited by Cable87; 10-02-11 at 15:54.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cable87 For This Useful Post:

ThomasJ (10-02-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I feel your gym pain I had the same problem I think if you want to loose weight you have to cut back on what you eat.
    I took that approach and it seems to be working for me you seem to be working hard enough keep it up and you will see the benefits good luck.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fitzy For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (10-02-11), ThomasJ (10-02-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by steady View Post
    My local gym has just had a new machine installed.I used it for an hour today before I started to feel unwell.
    It had everything....Mars Bars,Snickers,Crisps.. the lot.
    Very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast