Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Belittling of religious people

Default Belittling of religious people

I am not religious, but I respect other people's beliefs. Many atheists look down on religious people, belittle them, insult their intelligence and make fun of them. I find some "religious humour" to be very disrespectfull; Lars Vilks' stuff for instance, like Christ shown as a paedophile, Muhammad as a dog and so on.

I really do not like that kind of nastiness. Why not treat people with respect and not try to tear them down? I have a Muslim friend and religion is very important to him, one of the last things I would do is try to tear him down.

It's good that people have something that keeps them positive and gives them hope.

Peace and love,
    Father Buzz

of course religious people never ever look down on other religions do they ?

a catholic would never look down on protestantism or a protestant on islam or a muslim on judaism or a jew on hinduism etc ad infinitum............

Reviews

I love ripping on religion. Just so easy to do.

Reviews

Religious bigotry...fairly hard hitting stuff for a Wednesday night. But I agree with Alec. Religion has become so that some look down on others who do not have their beliefs. Not what originally preached hundreds of years ago but has become the norm almost now.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Horan View Post
    of course religious people never ever look down on other religions do they ?

a catholic would never look down on protestantism or a protestant on islam or a muslim on judaism or a jew on hinduism etc ad infinitum............
    ... and, of course, they would never look down on those of us who have no religion.
    The Gods are just, and of our pleasant vices
    Make instruments to plague us

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scotus For This Useful Post:

madjack (09-02-11)

Quote Originally Posted by scotus View Post
    ... and, of course, they would never look down on those of us who have no religion.
    Amen to that !!
    It's only wrong if you get caught!!

Reviews

nature is my religion-simple.
    Last edited by warmcome; 09-02-11 at 22:08. Reason: forgot how to spell religion

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I myself am an atheist, but I do have respect for other people's BELIEFS, not for their RELIGION.

For me, those are two completely different things. Faith in God and believing in God should be very personal: a friend when you are in need, the belief that someone/something is looking after you no matter what (God's love is eternal and everlasting, they say), and just to give them strength when they need it. For me, it doesn't matter where you get your strength from, from within your own self or from a deity.

Religion, however, is based on scriptures written by HUMANS, and is a way to control the masses. You don't want people to commit adultery and produce unwanted babies? Good, but hell, don't (ab)use a book for it... a book that many people over the ages have studied and still cannot grasp the true meaning. It's written by men, and other men interpret it the way it suits them. If the Holy Bible for instance was to be interpreted in only one way, then why are there so many religions based on that same book? Because Man are sheep, and a sheep needs a herder that suits their needs...

There needs to be a more distinct line between faith and religion/churches. In my opinion, the catholic church are one of the most hypocritical and sinful institutions in the world. They condemn 'evil rituals' like drinking the blood of an animal or whatever they deem to be evil, yet every week they consume the blood and flesh of one particular human (symbolic, but does that make it any less luguber? I think not). They proclaim the act of poverty, that you should give away some things to the poor and fast a couple of weeks a year... how about they start by giving away all that gold and money they have? A lot of the world's biggest problems would be instantly solved if they followed their own doctrines...

It's all about power and knowing how to control the masses. Heck, even the Jews killed off the man that is responsible for contemporary Christianity, just because they were afraid their power was threatened. Is that showing your faith?

A lot of people interpret the Holy Bible in a litteral way, yet with doing so they prove themselves wrong. Jesus, according to the Bible, made a blind one see... That is something contemporary Christians simply cannot do. Open your eyes and see that your religion is a way to keep you under control.

I say, believe in yourself first before believing in anything else. Acknowledge your own true nature, and give in to that nature...
    Is this the land where sun brightly shines, is this the existence of a heaven's sign?
    Is this the locus the hallowed focus, where grace love and harmony combine?

Rotting Christ - Nemecic

Who Am I? A son of northern darkness.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robijntje For This Useful Post:

10inchesandcounting (10-02-11), madjack (09-02-11), warmcome (09-02-11)

Reviews

Sounds a bit like SATANISM to me!!!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I am not religious, but I respect other people's beliefs. Many atheists look down on religious people, belittle them, insult their intelligence and make fun of them. I find some "religious humour" to be very disrespectfull; Lars Vilks' stuff for instance, like Christ shown as a paedophile, Muhammad as a dog and so on.

I really do not like that kind of nastiness. Why not treat people with respect and not try to tear them down? I have a Muslim friend and religion is very important to him, one of the last things I would do is try to tear him down.

It's good that people have something that keeps them positive and gives them hope.

Peace and love,
    Father Buzz
    Its a fine line between the sort of respect you advocate and the loss of freedom of speech.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast