Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some things to note before you go around accusing people of being trolls and such

Reviews

[QUOTE=OnlyMe;394194]I don't like this sort of thread.
    Not that my opinion counts for much, and I am not claiming it should, but this is just crap.

Being nice to one another costs nobody anything.
    If you can't be nice then fuck off

Well said mate, isn't this place not supposed to be about fun, not insults ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to n73 For This Useful Post:

OnlyMe (10-02-11)

I joined here in October- for the most part it's fun & frolics..but I have to say in context of another thread from earlier " What do you dislike about Ireland"- the amount of ridiculous sniping & begrudgery that passes for <civil discourse> can sometimes make some posters seem like they're about eight years old!
    I'm not aware of the specifics regarding "Buzz" and the beef others have with him..and I don't really care to get involved there... but I will say this: having spent quite a bit of time on a very similar punting Forum here in the States ( where there are occasional flame wars, troll activity etc etc just like here..), the proportion of threads dedicated to whining is staggering from what is a relatively small group of people.
    So- overall much as I enjoy the craic on here, I have to observe that every time I log-in I'm reminded of one of the very few things I'm not sorry that I left behind in scary Eire- small minded whinging gits!
    Peace to y'all!
    Last edited by Franken996; 10-02-11 at 05:09.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post
    I don't like this sort of thread.
    Not that my opinion counts for much, and I am not claiming it should, but this is just crap.

Being nice to one another costs nobody anything.
    If you can't be nice then fuck off

Sorry for my language Mr Hobbyist.
    Anyone else offended can fuck off as well. (Sorry joke)
    Totally agree with you on this one

Buzz you seem intent on causing disquiet, we don't need the sort of negative threads your starting, you need to take a chill pill and mellow a little - I find lexapro, Lamictal and valdoxin (all presribed by doctor, cos im a grumpy bastard myself without them) work well for me, you show try it.

Relax

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hornylimerick For This Useful Post:

Fitzy (10-02-11)

Reviews

Unfortunately many posters do not think of themselves as trolls, but hold beliefs that are strongly held.

The problem occurs when they post, behave and express their views in a troll like manner.
    It naturally appears to other posters including myself that the person is in fact a troll.

Over time views may be mellowed and expressed more sympathetically.
    It is not the first time a troll has appeared in their initial posts and later amended their behaviour to become a valued member of this site.
    We can only hope others like buzz can follow on this path of enlightenment.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
    Unfortunately many posters do not think of themselves as trolls, but hold beliefs that are strongly held.

The problem occurs when they post, behave and express their views in a troll like manner.
    It naturally appears to other posters including myself that the person is in fact a troll.

Over time views may be mellowed and expressed more sympathetically.
    It is not the first time a troll has appeared in their initial posts and later amended their behaviour to become a valued member of this site.
    We can only hope others like buzz can follow on this path of enlightenment.
    I hope you are not referring to me.
    I'll have you know I am still a troll, and proud of it.

I want a badge, a troll badge.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnlyMe For This Useful Post:

hornylimerick (10-02-11), Sam Spade (10-02-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post
    I hope you are not referring to me.
    I'll have you know I am still a troll, and proud of it.

I want a badge, a troll badge.
    Well, you are now a valued member of the team!

A troll? Maybe, but at least your our troll

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Spade For This Useful Post:

hornylimerick (10-02-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
    Well, you are now a valued member of the team!

A troll? Maybe, but at least your our troll
    I agree, your a troll, but a nice one

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hornylimerick For This Useful Post:

Sam Spade (10-02-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

In this site I have never seen a difinitive answer on what is a troll and how do you spot them ,there may have been one if so I apologise and you can ignore this post . Anyhow I googled troll.....

How can troll posts be recognised?
    No Imagination - Most are frighteningly obvious; sexist comments on nurses' groups, blasphemy on religious groups .. I kid you not.

Pedantic in the Extreme - Many trolls' preparation is so thorough, that while they waste time, they appear so ludicrous from the start that they elicit sympathetic mail - the danger is that once the group takes sides, the damage is done.

False Identity - Because they are cowards, trolls virtually never write over their own name, and often reveal their trolliness (and lack of imagination) in the chosen ID. As so many folk these days use false ID, this is not a strong indicator on its own!

Crossposting - Any post that is crossposted to several groups should be viewed as suspicious, particularly if unrelated or of opposing perspective. Why would someone do that?

Off-topic posting - Often genuine errors, but, if from an 'outsider' they deserve matter-of-fact response; if genuine, a brief apposite response is simply netiquette; if it's a troll post, you have denied it its reward.

Repetition of a question or statement is either a troll - or a pedant; either way, treatment as a troll is effective.

Missing The Point - Trolls rarely answer a direct question - they cannot, if asked to justify their twaddle - so they develop a fine line in missing the point.

Thick or Sad - Trolls are usually sad, lonely folk, with few social skills; they rarely make what most people would consider intelligent conversation.

Why do trolls do it?
    I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response

hope this helps
    a thousand kisses deep..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ric Hardgear For This Useful Post:

Derry lad (11-02-11)

While I appreciate Ric's comprehensive breakdown above I'm a big fan of keeping it simple. I came across this definition & think it sums up things rather succinctly:

What is a Troll? What we're working with are those who post frequently with no positive and mostly negative contribution. Simple as that. Those who apparently love to hear themselves talk without regard for the (IE) Community at large.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franken996 For This Useful Post:

dave1dave (11-02-11), Derry lad (11-02-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Franken996 View Post
    While I appreciate Ric's comprehensive breakdown above I'm a big fan of keeping it simple. I came across this definition & think it sums up things rather succinctly:

What is a Troll? What we're working with are those who post frequently with no positive and mostly negative contribution. Simple as that. Those who apparently love to hear themselves talk without regard for the (IE) Community at large.
    That's a great definition of a troll. Couldn't be put any better.
    Nice one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12