Thread: The First "Leaders'" Debate (and a bit about Enda)

Reviews

Default The First "Leaders'" Debate (and a bit about Enda)

Soooooo... who do you think won, Mr. Martin or Mr. Gilmore?

Unfortunately for us all, I think Micheál came out on top. It wasn't his debate to win, it was Eamon's to lose, and I don't think the Labour boss pushed hard enough. He should have been pointing out FF's corruption and mismanagement in much more outraged terms than he did - why oh why does nobody ever roar in Irish politics?

I also think it was a crazy decision for Enda not to participate. It is not a given that FG will be the majority party in the next Dáil, and he cannot afford not to debate his policies against the other leaders and be seen, at least, to be taking part. Enda's big weakness is seen by people as his inability to talk, and you might think that FG are afraid of him being shown up by superior debaters.

What do you think?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mousey For This Useful Post:

benin (08-02-11)

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post

Unfortunately for us all, I think Micheál came out on top. It wasn't his debate to win, it was Eamon's to lose, and I don't think the Labour boss pushed hard enough. He should have been pointing out FF's corruption and mismanagement in much more outraged terms than he did - why oh why does nobody ever roar in Irish politics?

I also think it was a crazy decision for Enda not to participate. It is not a given that FG will be the majority party in the next Dáil, and he cannot afford not to debate his policies against the other leaders and be seen, at least, to be taking part. Enda's big weakness is seen by people as his inability to talk, and you might think that FG are afraid of him being shown up by superior debaters.

What do you think?
    i enjoyed the bit where vincent brown had to shut the fuck up and listen to others opinions.... martin won by the way.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post

What do you think?
    While again i think Martin won the debate, it probably wasnt by a huge margin, but the really worrying thing for Gilmore was
    that Martin could win considering all the ammuntion at Gilmores disposal. To me it was like a 100m race where Gilmore had
    50m odds and still managed to be pipped at the line. It shows that going forward Labours policys failed to make a real impact
    and this is a real worry. Probably the real winner was Enda Kenny as Gilmore showed he is not a real option for Taoiseach, at the
    moment all labour can hope for is to be close enough in seats to Fine Gael to get some good ministries. I think will be difficult
    for labour now to get finance the one they really want. Definitely at the moment Micheal Noonan is wiping the floor with
    Joan Burton
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Reviews

FF aren't going to get anywhere this coming election but I do think M. Martin would make the most credible Taoiseach of the three. I think he piped E. Gilmore in tonights debate which is incredible fiven FF's record and as Ber pointed out - the auminition he (Gilmore) had at his disposal.

The three way debate in the U.K. did swing things in favour of Nick Clegg of the Lib Dems. Prior to that he hadn't been considered a serious contender and now he's the vice Prime Minister.

So E. Kenny better pull up his socks for the next 5 way debate if FG don't want to drop the ball.
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Morpheus For This Useful Post:

Rayden (09-02-11)

Reviews

I cant stand Gilmore. He comes across as a total jackass. He reminds me of a former boss.