Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Complaining

Reviews

Au contraire ( I've got a bit of a French thing going on at the moment)!

I think we are looking at one of our good qualities here. And I think we do complain about poor food and service, but we do it in a polite and non-arrogant way, unlike some of our closest neighbors. We also show a level of tolerance and understanding which should not be universally dismissed as being wimpish.

It's one of the reasons we are generally welcomed in other countries as opposed to our friends across the water!

Ireland doesn't have the weather to develop a culture of public protest the likes of France and Greece, and when over the years the community could not be seen making a fuss over the big things, it makes it harder for individuals to put up a fight on the smaller ones.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alhazred For This Useful Post:

mellors (07-02-11)

Reviews

the Irish must have been able to complain/campaign historically,
    because the British are not known for rolling over and
    yet with Ireland they conceded "Let them have home rule, damn it"

Reviews

As a nation, we are worn out complaining about the weather and the price of a pint anyway.

Compared to these, everything else seems entirely tolerable!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno69 View Post

I think we are looking at one of our good qualities here. And I think we do complain about poor food and service, but we do it in a polite and non-arrogant way, unlike some of our closest neighbors. We also show a level of tolerance and understanding which should not be universally dismissed as being wimpish.

It's one of the reasons we are generally welcomed in other countries as opposed to our friends across the water!
    I learned the art of complaining from my mother's Jewish best friend, Marge-she would complain about anything, and really put on a show! You'd almost fear for your life when she was cutting up!
    Last edited by anitasizzle; 07-02-11 at 16:27.

Quote Originally Posted by anitasizzle View Post
    I learned the art of complaining from my mother's Jewish best friend, Marge-she would complain about anything, and really put on a show! You'd almost fear for your life when she was cutting up!
    Get her to join here!

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno69 View Post

A fair point Bruno,one of the many reasons I live here and not in the UK,but surely that tolerance and understanding can only be stretched so far ? (I agree the british take it to the other extreme and love to complain about everything)
    Come in she said "I'll give you shelter from the storm "

Protest about Ryanair? A bit pointless as a consumer. Protest against the economic crisis? I thought that is what people did when they immigrated? Protest about the inability to smoke in a enclosed premises? A little bit self centered when you consider the grim realities of passive smoking.

I daresay you will see protest if fundamental civil liberties are impeached and the government isnt rapidly replaced with a new one. Perhaps the Irish choose their protests wisely
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mellors View Post
    A fair point Bruno,one of the many reasons I live here and not in the UK,but surely that tolerance and understanding can only be stretched so far ? (I agree the british take it to the other extreme and love to complain about everything)
    Not only the British but the french when they have a problem the whole country comes to a stand still.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    Protest about Ryanair? A bit pointless as a consumer. Protest against the economic crisis? I thought that is what people did when they immigrated? Protest about the inability to smoke in a enclosed premises? A little bit self centered when you consider the grim realities of passive smoking.

I daresay you will see protest if fundamental civil liberties are impeached and the government isnt rapidly replaced with a new one. Perhaps the Irish choose their protests wisely
    '
    Really,people have to emmigrate to protest at an apathetic economic cock up ?? I have to disagree that there is nothing to protest about,you only have to turn on the news each day.
    Come in she said "I'll give you shelter from the storm "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast