Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biffo

Reviews

Default Biffo

From Irish Times.com

Brian Cowen says he will not contest general election

Taoiseach Brian Cowen has announced he will not contest the general election.

Mr Cowen (51) tonight said he had come to the decision following talks with his family and newly elected Fianna Fáil leader Micheal Martin.

He said the Fianna Fáil organisation in the Laois-Offaly area had wanted him to contest the election, which is expected to take place on February 25th.

Mr Cowen said it was time to give the new party leader and frontbench team he appointed earlier today "a break".

He said Mr Martin had not asked him to stand down.

"Everyone in the Fianna Fáil party wanted to see me stand again," he told Midlands Radio 103.

Mr Cowen said he would remain strongly supportive of Mr Martin and the party.

He believed the party's new leader could lead Fianna Fáil into a very good election effort.

“Of course it’s with a heavy heart you make a decision such as this,” Mr Cowen added.

“It’s a momentous decision for me, but also I think it’s the right decision because the party now is in the process of rebuilding and rejuvenating and renewing, and a generational shift should take place of which I’m a part, certainly in terms of the tenure I’ve had as a prominent member of the organisation throughout the country for many years.”

In a statement, Mr Cowen said he was humbled by the messages of support he had received. "The genuine decency and warmth of people in this country is one of our finest traits and long may that be so."

A Fianna Fáil meeting took place in the Tullamore Court Hotel at 6pm this evening to make arrangements for selection convention scheduled to take place in the constituency tomorrow night.

Mr Cowen was first elected in 1984 in byelection caused by death of his father, Bernard “Ber”’ Cowen.

He went to serve as minister for labour 1992-1993; minister for transport, energy and communications 1993-1994; minister for health and children 1997-2000; minister for foreign affairs 2000-2004; minister for finance 2004-2008 (tánaiste 2007-2008). He was elected Taoiseach in May 2008.

Mr Cowen will dissolve the Dáil tomorrow afternoon and the election date will then be set.

The Dail will reconvene at 2.30pm with a statement from Mr Cowen which is expected to be followed by remarks from the leaders of Fine Gael, Labour, Sinn Féin and the Greens.

The Taoiseach will then attend Áras an Uachtaráin in the Phoenix Park to ask President Mary McAleese to formally dissolve parliament.
    The Truth is out there.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Think it will be a long building process for FF . Looks like they'll get hammered at election time WCL. .: doc
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr love For This Useful Post:

westcorklad (31-01-11)

Reviews

I hope this is the end to the most inept individual i have ever had the displeasure of seeing in my lifetime...i am sure martin is delighted that cowen has decided not to run again as whatever post he was in was going to damage the fianna fail party further..i really think policitics need new blood as the same faces running constantly is not seving the countries best interests...
    I have lived a life of regrets.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aml For This Useful Post:

10inchesandcounting (01-02-11), westcorklad (31-01-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

At least he didn't say his only regret was not having a stadium named after him.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Gordo For This Useful Post:

69patrick69 (31-01-11), westcorklad (31-01-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    At least he didn't say his only regret was not having a stadium named after him.
    What would the founding members think of what has happened to the party on the last 30 yrs .: doc

Reviews

Biffo was served a tray of shit by Bertie. He knew
    it was such but persued regardless-because he cared, i think.

as if Ireland could have survived the global downturn unscathed?
    a massive property bubble-there was no real boom.

i don't know who is going to rescue this country.
    i don't think any single human would be able.
    Last edited by warmcome; 31-01-11 at 21:49.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

madjack (31-01-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    Biffo was served a tray of shit by Bertie. He knew
    it was such but persued regardless-because he cared, i think.

as if Ireland could have survived the global downturn unscathed?
    a massive property bubble-there was no real boom.

i do'nt know who is going to rescue this country.
    i don't think any single human would be able.
    Remember cowen was finance minister during the bertie years,he is as much to blame as anyone..
    I have lived a life of regrets.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aml For This Useful Post:

10inchesandcounting (01-02-11), kelso (31-01-11), warmcome (31-01-11), westcorklad (31-01-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by dr love View Post
    What would the founding members think of what has happened to the party on the last 30 yrs .: doc
    Turning in their graves.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    Turning in their graves.
    along with the church scandal, contraception, divorce...

100yrs has passed-time to forget dev's era?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    Turning in their graves.
    To put it mildly Fitzy .: doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast