Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: banning system

Default banning system

The banning system has me a little confused.
    Is it possible for the mods to give some official guide lines as to what is acceptable and what is not.
    I've seen some people calling others conts (spell check needed) and and getting away with it and some people saying a lesser offensive words and getting severely slapped for it.
    Is it not also a fair assumption to say that each time someone gets banned then the length of the ban should increase with each offence until they are banned for good.
    Is it a case of depends who you are as to the punishment handed out.

Should we not try and be alot more friendly here and take the view of "If you haven't something nice to say then say nothing."
    I know you might say well it all depends on the context in which the insult was used but we can all manipulate words to say something in a joking way yet get the point across as an insult.
    Please enlighten me in a nice way.
    Jake

Reviews

Wodering that myself as I was called a C**T and retarded C**T on three threads and Pm yesterday without even a hash word being issued by management.

Then I saw some members being banned for what I saw was an inoffensive comment!

I guess all animals are equal, it is just some are more equal than others"!

Quote Originally Posted by madjake View Post
    The banning system has me a little confused.
    Is it possible for the mods to give some official guide lines as to what is acceptable and what is not.
    I've seen some people calling others conts (spell check needed) and and getting away with it and some people saying a lesser offensive words and getting severely slapped for it.
    Is it not also a fair assumption to say that each time someone gets banned then the length of the ban should increase with each offence until they are banned for good.
    Is it a case of depends who you are as to the punishment handed out.

Should we not try and be alot more friendly here and take the view of "If you haven't something nice to say then say nothing."
    I know you might say well it all depends on the context in which the insult was used but we can all manipulate words to say something in a joking way yet get the point across as an insult.
    Please enlighten me in a nice way.
    Jake
    The rules are stated in the link in my signature.

It depends on the context of the words used really. If it is perceived to be a blatant means of upsetting or offending somebody, then yes, action will be taken. However, we are aware that this is an adult site and we all use swear words, but we still expect good manners.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy10 View Post
    Wodering that myself as I was called a C**T and retarded C**T on three threads and Pm yesterday without even a hash word being issued by management.

But then again, this was provoked against the rules of the particular forum that the rules of which were broken, and action was not taken on either party.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Don't worry so much about it !
    If you have a problem with something someone calls you here, just report the post.
    And let others look after themselves.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1dave For This Useful Post:

samlad (18-01-11)

Reviews

I liked VJs observations on the "who would make a good mod thread". I think it is relevant here.

Vampire Jackie says
    Before i started this job i had used many forums over the years in a poster capacity and its not until i got a few months into this job, I realised how difficult moderating can be.
    As some have said already it can be a thankless job, and you can often be seen as the bad boy/girl when things get heated on here.
    One of the most difficult things i found ,is judging personalities online. How to tell when a poster is joking, having a laugh, and not being serious about what they are saying. It is a very difficult role to do sometimes. Also every person is different, will judge a situation different, what one person may do, another may not.
    Hopefully we have turned things around for the best, trying to get conisistency in decisions made, and there is always lots of discussion that goes on in the background on difficult situations. The moderators and the manager have to help each other all the time, its a big team. We all make mistakes and make bad calls sometimes, and we have to deal with that and move on to the next drama.

All the moderators working here sometimes get slated, but most of them spend a lot of time on this site, helping out, and are trying to do the best by everyone.

I do understand this thread is a bit of fun, but it is a difficult role, you have to try and be impartial, and judge everything fairly and against the rules and guidelines off the site.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy10 View Post

Missed that kitty, what thread .: doc
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

Quote Originally Posted by dr love View Post
    Missed that kitty, what thread .: doc
    He's referring to an incident yesterday when a poster was upset by the mocking of his client request, and out of retaliation, chose to swear at the offender on the boards. I felt that this issue was resolved as two wrongs don't make a right.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

dr love (18-01-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    He's referring to an incident yesterday when a poster was upset by the mocking of his client request, and out of retaliation, chose to swear at the offender on the boards. I felt that this issue was resolved as two wrongs don't make a right.
    Correct samlad I know now , it's the pm caught my interest .: doc
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

Quote Originally Posted by dr love View Post
    Correct samlad I know now , it's the pm caught my interest .: doc
    No PM was reported unfortunatley, doc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast