Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mac/windows techy help pls!!!

Reviews

So much wrong info in so few posts...

For use with Bootcamp, You will need a shrinkwrapped (i.e. a full CD) version of Windows XP SP2 or later, Win Vista SP1 or later or Win 7. Both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win Vista and Win 7 works fine. You will need to have a single partition Mac, go to the Utilities folder and launch BootCamp Assistant and it will walk you through setting up BootCamp. On the first page is asks you to print out a PDF, this PDF has an exact step by step walkthrough with pictures, so should be very easy to follow.
    Note you will need to boot into Windows, so you can't have both running at the same time. For that you will need Parallels or Fusion instead.

As for the java thing, launch Java Preferences from the Utilities folder and in the general tab it will list 2 different versions of Java, try to move one on top of the other relaunch your browser and it will then try and launch the java applets with the other version of Java installed. This solves most Java problems.

As for your other 2 problems, yes then you will most likely need to be booted into Windows or Paralles/Fusion for them to work.

Reviews

Em sorry, what you are talking about is duel booting her mac to run 2 Os same as duel booting a PC to run 2 OS, that has nothing to do with what I have suggested which maybe if you checked your facts and not jump to conclusions which are wrong you will see my advice is 100% solid. Some people
    Quote Originally Posted by corkpunter View Post
    So much wrong info in so few posts...

For use with Bootcamp, You will need a shrinkwrapped (i.e. a full CD) version of Windows XP SP2 or later, Win Vista SP1 or later or Win 7. Both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win Vista and Win 7 works fine. You will need to have a single partition Mac, go to the Utilities folder and launch BootCamp Assistant and it will walk you through setting up BootCamp. On the first page is asks you to print out a PDF, this PDF has an exact step by step walkthrough with pictures, so should be very easy to follow.
    Note you will need to boot into Windows, so you can't have both running at the same time. For that you will need Parallels or Fusion instead.

As for the java thing, launch Java Preferences from the Utilities folder and in the general tab it will list 2 different versions of Java, try to move one on top of the other relaunch your browser and it will then try and launch the java applets with the other version of Java installed. This solves most Java problems.

As for your other 2 problems, yes then you will most likely need to be booted into Windows or Paralles/Fusion for them to work.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by prettywoman View Post
    BTW 2..... yes Mac rules, I had mine for a year now and I love it. Got rid of my old toshiba just recently, so I'm looking at this option! It was weird to use it first, but now I love it. They told me in the shop this would happen lol......
    I'd just like to add;

Once you go mac, you'll never go back!

More and more people are discovering this.

I really hate pc's their slow and awkward to use, a child can use a mac, (even I can lol!) everything is where you think it is.
    Last edited by hornylimerick; 04-01-11 at 20:18.

Now, now boys.
    I did find Boot camp, hence I know it is on it and I actually did see the pdf to be printed, but I have not printed it or had a look at what's on it...... As I said, I'm a woman, I like lying on my back and get man do the work for me lolllll
    I'll try anons idea first, connecting 2 computers, as it's cheaper.
    If it does not work I can always just delete it from the Mac HD and do it trough boot camp.

Ok Anon you lost me with this last post, but I don't think I want to even know.

So is this VM not something like paralell, which allows you to run your mac alongside to windows enabling you to use files and documents from your mac? (I'm guessing you guys have confused me with this a little.)

Thanks Corkpunter for taking the time to reply. That is good advice on the Java. Shall try it, if I have problems.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    Em sorry, what you are talking about is duel booting her mac to run 2 Os same as duel booting a PC to run 2 OS, that has nothing to do with what I have suggested which maybe if you checked your facts and not jump to conclusions which are wrong you will see my advice is 100% solid. Some people
    EDIT, can't be bothered, you carry on.
    Last edited by corkpunter; 05-01-11 at 02:15.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by prettywoman View Post
    Ok, This may sound stupid....
    So I upload lets say windows 7 32 bits or better (but not the basic), then I go for this VM system right? So windows is not included in the VW..... (this is the stupid bit lol).... just trying to save time, so I don't need to read every little bit....
    I'm a woman and like to lie on my back and get the man to do the job lol......
    Also what virus program do you recommend... I hate norton!!! Something not too pricy, but mega safe!!!

I need it as some silly sites make programs, which can only be used with windows (Yahoo is one of them!!!)

thx peeps...
    this was very helpful!
    Microsoft has *finally* come out with their own anti-virus for their own crappy OS range.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

So you need to run windows on your Mac in a virtual machine (i.e., your windows "machine" will look like an application running in a window on your Mac).

You need some kind of virtual machine software - this will create a virtual machine for you (allocate disc space, RAM, etc) - VM Ware or Virtualbox

[ hint: Downloads - VirtualBox ]

When that is setup you now have space on which to do your windows installation - your windows install software (DVD or whatever) will behave as if it is on a "real" i.e., physical machine & will just proceed as normal.

Essentially you insert the DVD with Windows installer on it, you start your virtual machine through the Virtualbox or VMware application & the VM will pick up and launch the windows installer software.

It is very important that the virtual machine be configured to include the CD/DVD drive, otherwise it won't be able to access the windows installer.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by corkpunter View Post
    EDIT, can't be bothered, you carry on.
    I think we have it pretty much covered but thanks for your input, it didn't confuse the situation at all

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123