Thread: Mac/windows techy help pls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    AVG is the best anti-virus for Windows and it wont cost a bomb
    Yes... you can download a free version, which is pretty good for a freebie

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    AVG is the best anti-virus for Windows and it wont cost a bomb
    Ok, firstly ignore all further advice bilbo gives you lol

No need to partion anything, just instal VMware and run it, within that application you can install windows from a cd and run it just as you would any program within your mac. It's easy, it's only a problem when you want to run a mac on a PC, then you have troubles..

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    Ok, firstly ignore all further advice bilbo gives you lol

No need to partion anything, just instal VMware and run it, within that application you can install windows from a cd and run it just as you would any program within your mac. It's easy, it's only a problem when you want to run a mac on a PC, then you have troubles..
    My Windows anti-virus software has been known to miss viruses and adware, so it's not the best one to use.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    My Windows anti-virus software has been known to miss viruses and adware, so it's not the best one to use.
    I have a simple rule, Avg - crap, norton - worse, kaspersky - the best, no discussion, everybody has an opinion, that's mine, and if any of you know me, it's a good one

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

samlad (04-01-11)

Ok.... so first step upload vw, second step the windows program through it (and I'm guessing this vm is not to be run through the factory installed boot camp, but to be simply loaded and added to the mac hd), then kaspersky virus killer should work on the mac windows side right?

BTW I hate norton too, useless!!! I have heard a lot of good things about this kaspersky too.

BTW 2..... yes Mac rules, I had mine for a year now and I love it. Got rid of my old toshiba just recently, so I'm looking at this option! It was weird to use it first, but now I love it. They told me in the shop this would happen lol......
    Last edited by prettywoman; 04-01-11 at 17:51.

Reviews

Have you still got the toshiba? If you do there is no need to buy windows, if you connect the mac and PC together run vm it will pick up the toshiba and ask do you want to clone it into vm and run it virtually on the mac. You can do it with an PC so if you have a mate with a PC laptop or even desktop that wouldn't mind you cloning it bobs your uncle..

Oh boll**x.... I have just given My toshiba to my mother and she lives far! besides that was xp on there, so I'm guessing I'll be better of with the 7.
    Ok, I just need to go to one of my mates then...

So while I'm connected to my mate, run vm, which will automatically pick up on my mates windows. When it will prompt me to clone it.
    So just to clarify, you do recommend, that I download kaspersky, don't you? Or if things run through this vm system, there is there a need?

Just one more question, at the moment I have firefox and safari both, but mainly use firefox. Will I be able to use the one I have now in windows, or you need to download the windows version? If I do need to download would this be a case with Java, adobe etc??? You will have 2 versions of everything?
    I'm sorry I'm full of questions.... lol
    I'll get on your nerves Anon, by the time I get all my answers.LOL

thx a lot!!!

Reviews

Im driving along here so can't really answer you in full but before I do, why do you want to do this, is it just to run windows based applications or do you prefer windows, if you prefer windows the. The duel boot option would be best, if it is just to run applications, install windows via vm, launch it and them install as you would normally within windows, I think you may be confused as to what VMware is, you will still have full acces to all the programs on your mac while running windows in VM, it's just another window open on your screen that can be minimised or put full screen like any other program so there would be no need to install firefox on the windows side, you could just minimise VM and open firefox on the mac. As for antivirus, yes download Kaspersky and install it in windows on windows only. Mac up until recently didn't get viruses bit that is not the case anymore so you could install kaspersky on the mac also but it's different to the windows version so would mean buying it twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by prettywoman View Post
    Oh boll**x.... I have just given My toshiba to my mother and she lives far! besides that was xp on there, so I'm guessing I'll be better of with the 7.
    Ok, I just need to go to one of my mates then...

So while I'm connected to my mate, run vm, which will automatically pick up on my mates windows. When it will prompt me to clone it.
    So just to clarify, you do recommend, that I download kaspersky, don't you? Or if things run through this vm system, there is there a need?

Just one more question, at the moment I have firefox and safari both, but mainly use firefox. Will I be able to use the one I have now in windows, or you need to download the windows version? If I do need to download would this be a case with Java, adobe etc??? You will have 2 versions of everything?
    I'm sorry I'm full of questions.... lol
    I'll get on your nerves Anon, by the time I get all my answers.LOL

thx a lot!!!

Ok..... I really only need windows for 2 things right now, one is a webcam based the other is this application on yahoo I was on about, which loads through java but it does not like it on mac. I'll be uploading a special software in a few days and that may need windows, I'll see. Everything else, I'm very very happy to do in Mac, in fact much more happier.... you know what they say once you go Mac you never go back lolllllll

Thx... I think this has answered my questions.

wow.... that is not good news, that they are hitting macs now too....
    I think these people making viruses should be put in prison.... lol costing us billions!!!

Reviews

Most technical thread ever.........I'm going to start a thread tomorrow about how to make fire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast