Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people...

Reviews

Default Why do people...

...succumb to patriotism? I mean no one chooses the country in which they are born. So why have any special feelings towards that country excepting a certain familiar comfort? Why think your particular country is a special, special place? Why cheer for that country's sports teams etc?

I'm not patriotic. Why are you?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Record 2-time E-I Fantasy Football Champion 2010/11, 2013/14
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BootSlick55 For This Useful Post:

Rayden (29-12-10)

Reviews

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BootSlick55 View Post
    ...succumb to patriotism? I mean no one chooses the country in which they are born. So why have any special feelings towards that country excepting a certain familiar comfort? Why think your particular country is a special, special place? Why cheer for that country's sports teams etc?

I'm not patriotic. Why are you?
    I'd be of the same opinion, the worst for it are bloody Americans! I mean their obsessed! My mother is American and when the relatives arrive over every year they just go on and on and on....., it's painful to listen to "America is great! America does nothing wrong! Everyone else it wrong!...... all you have to do is look at them funny and they'll bomb ur country

Their all nuts!!!

And before anyone starts defending them, I know what I'm talking about, I deal with these ppl on a weekly basis I even gave an American passport, not that I'd use it nowadays lol!!
    Last edited by hornylimerick; 29-12-10 at 10:22.

Freedom is an illusion we are all slaves...

Reviews

I think it's about a need to be part of a pack or larger group.
    And nationality is something we can largely identify with.
    It becomes more engrained, when you feel threatened by or a grievance towards a neighbor, for example if your nation was at war with a neighbouring country.

I think it is becoming less prevalent with the younger generation because the troubles in Ireland at least were not part of growing up for people in their teens today.

Witness how many young Irish boys were foreign football teams jerseys, and I'm talking international teams, not just clubs.

I do think there is a lot of bullshit around patriotism. For example, I find the practice of singing national anthems almost as bizarre as mass!

But as a man in his 40's, buy me a couple of drinks and ask me what I think of the Brits involvement in northern Ireland ...

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno69 View Post
    I think it's about a need to be part of a pack or larger group.
    And nationality is something we can largely identify with.
    It becomes more engrained, when you feel threatened by or a grievance towards a neighbor, for example if your nation was at war with a neighbouring country.

I think it is becoming less prevalent with the younger generation because the troubles in Ireland at least were not part of growing up for people in their teens today.

Witness how many young Irish boys were foreign football teams jerseys, and I'm talking international teams, not just clubs.

I do think there is a lot of bullshit around patriotism. For example, I find the practice of singing national anthems almost as bizarre as mass!

But as a man in his 40's, buy me a couple of drinks and ask me what I think of the Brits involvement in northern Ireland ...
    good post mate. involvement during the war?

Reviews

Armchair terrorist and barstool republican !

But if I ever meet johnny Adair, I'll cross over to the other side of the street, shout something rude and run away very quickly so I will !

Reviews

I am not patriotic in an extreme fanatical sense. I have no interest in politics or religion. But I am proud to be Irish, and love living here. I love to travel, but no matter where I go, I always enjoy coming home too. Iwouldn't want to live anywhere else. I guess it is because it is what I am used to, where I feel comfortable, having grown up here.
    Thank you all the ladies I had pleasure of meeting. Forever grateful for the memories

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno69 View Post
    But what if you were a man in his 40s born 100+ miles up the road and somebody bought you a couple of drinks.......you might be the first to start singing " F the pope".

The old herd instinct means you don't have to think for yourself, you don't have to question yourself or even take responsibility for your own thoughts, words and actions.......you just have to fall in line with the prevailing ethos to fit in and accept whatever shitty reality your tribe has created for you.

What's the point of living in an open, democratic and free society if a person is'nt even going to take ownership of their own mind.......at least the communists guaranteed people education, work, health care and retirement care in return for not exercising their minds too much.

Reviews

That was sort of my point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast