Thread: Privacy on iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Reviews

Default Privacy on iPhone, iPad and Android devices

There has been discussion recently about privacy and about using smart phones and tablets.

I just thought that I would pull these together with a simple tip. I would like to suggest that you consider the Opera Mini browser. It works through an encrypted link to the Opera servers in Oslo. That means that your ISP or your phone company is unable to see what you are doing.

Opera can see that somebody is accessing some web site but they do not know who as they do not have access to your phone number. The encryption is good enough that the Chinese govt has blocked access to the Opera servers.

It is not perfect and I would not use it for financial stuff but for privacy it is good.

I do not know what E-I will do if we all start using it as they will see that we all have the same IP address in Norway.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sharkskin For This Useful Post:

Banjo (28-12-10), dr love (28-12-10), hornylimerick (28-12-10), YAKUNCHA (29-12-10)

Using opera mini on the iphone for a while now
    Find it better for browsing than safari didnt realise it was safer for privacy
    Thanks for the post

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gogo67 View Post
    Using opera mini on the iphone for a while now
    Find it better for browsing than safari didnt realise it was safer for privacy
    Thanks for the post
    It all depends. Who do you trust more, opera or your isp/phone operator. If you are really really paranoid, use your mobile with a vpn profile to your vpn server at home that you have configured to go through a proxy server and noone can see what you are doing. Now I know which of these are the most appealing to me...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to corkpunter For This Useful Post:

Banjo (29-12-10)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by corkpunter View Post
    It all depends. Who do you trust more, opera or your isp/phone operator.
    Actually there is more to it than that. Suppose that you have an iPhone on O2 and use the standard browser. O2 have a log that links you directly to your browsing. How much do I trust some bored net-admin guy at O2? He can see the whole data set.

Add opera mini to the equation and that guy at O2 only gets to see that I have a load of encrypted data going to Opera.

So what about the bored net-admin guy at Opera? He can see that somebody from an O2 IP address is browsing and he can see what I am browsing but that is all. That guy has no way of knowing that it is me because he does not know which IP address coming out of O2 goes with which phone.

Quote Originally Posted by corkpunter View Post
    If you are really really paranoid, use your mobile with a vpn profile to your vpn server at home that you have configured to go through a proxy server and noone can see what you are doing. Now I know which of these are the most appealing to me...
    That will work fine but it takes more understanding of networking than most folks will have.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sharkskin For This Useful Post:

Banjo (29-12-10)

Reviews

It might be useful if you guys were to give us a tutorial on here to do the VPN thing .... I'm sure many would be grateful, including me.

9. Default

excellent, will it work with my Nokias 6310i ? :\
    GO ON OUTA THAT, YAKUNCHA!!!!!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    It might be useful if you guys were to give us a tutorial on here to do the VPN thing .... I'm sure many would be grateful, including me.
    Banjo, it is not for the faint hearted. As Sharkskin says above, it is not easy, even for someone who knows quite a lot about networking etc. to setup a vpn server, install a vpn profile on the device, setting up tunnels to the proxy server etc. If you are really wanting to know more, send me a pm and I'll try and send on some info.