Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men are good at cars so..............

Blog Entries

Question Men are good at cars so..............

I have just had my car winter serviced. Can you guys on here tell me if this should include an oil change? The service was very expensive and they told me it is not normal to do an oil change for a winter service. Not sure what to believe.
    Thanks for any good advice. xxx
    Last edited by charlottebabe; 12-12-10 at 00:25.
    www.lady-love.co.uk
    Dublin 19 November
    E80 1/2 hour
    E120 one hour

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charlottebabe View Post
    I have just had my car winter serviced. Can you guys on here tell me if this should include an oil change? The service was very expensive and they told me it is not normal to do an oil change for a winter service. Not sure what to believe.
    Not sure what they mean but oil change would be included in a service.

Westside.

Charlotte my mechanical gives my car an oil change in a winter service and a summer service.. but then he is very protective over me he is my uncle...x

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by charlottebabe View Post
    Depends on a lot of things really,what mileage uve done ,what make of car, some new models using synthetic oil have very long oil change intervals
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ber For This Useful Post:

charlottebabe (12-12-10)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

What did your winter service consist of I would think lights wipers tyres levels of fluids and brakes.
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

7. Default

I not sure here...but in england meaning winter service all changed incluid oil etc...all the car need the profetion do...

Reviews

The idea of an oil change for the winter goes back to a time when it was wise to have a different type of oil for the winter time. When oil is cold, it gets thick and takes longer to get around the insides of the engine in the first moments after you start the car. So, you would have a winter oil that stayed runny at low temperatures. You would not want to use that oil in the summer as the higher temperatures on a hot day would mean that the oil was too runny to protect the engine.

That is no longer necessary as modern oil works well over a much wider temperature range and is safe for all year use.

As to whether or not you needed an oil change, ber was right there. How long ago was the last change? How many miles driven since then? What type of oil was used? How old is the car?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Yep you should of got an oil change it's the basics of an service.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    Yep you should of got an oil change it's the basics of an service.
    I would expect an oil change with every service.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mr maxi View Post
    I would expect an oil change with every service.
    Well that depends some of the newer cars will do 20,000 now between changes gone mostly are the days of 3000 interval changes
    many people would be only doing one oil change a year. Alot of people will still take it in for a check in winter time for coolant etc
    Personaly i do all my own service,as going to a garage is a total rip off.Just doing the basic service say oil filter,fuel filter check air
    filter coolant levels etc u will save 50% on the cost at least. Its not difficult anybody within reason can do these.
    Just one tip id always reccomend using genuine filters and a good quality oil
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast