Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Are people ungrateful to the Catholic Church?

Reviews

here is the original question:

Are people ungrateful to the Catholic Church?
    Have people become ungrateful to the Catholic Church because of a few bad eggs.
    They educated generations, kept hospitals going etc.
    Should we forget the good because of the bad?
    Are we ungrateful?

Are people ungrateful to the Catholic Church?
    im not too sure if i like the way this question was posed. it seems kind of loaded to me. it seems to imply that we were all extremely greatful to the catholic church to begin with(i never was). to become ungreatful after all implies that we were all greatful to begin with. and how far back are we going to start with? were we considerably more greatful 10 years ago? or 20? 50?
    you are right that it a minority of 'bad eggs' (i'd call them rapists or abusers myself) that seems to have caused the church a wee spot of bother. these 'bad eggs' did operate on their own, however their actions were widely known by their superiors and instead of them being reported to the gaurds they were shunted on from parish to parish , allowing them to continue to abuse children. look here: Ferns Report - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    true. but that was the culture of the times, going back to the 1930's. for me church and state should always be kept separate but that wasnt the feeling at the time. but there can be a case of too much interference by the church. looking back it was far too embedded in to irish society. look at the mother and child scheme in the 50's. a fantastic piece of legislation that was shot down by the church. best explained here: Mother and Child Scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    certainly not. but you weigh up the good against the bad, see how it pans out and make a decsion based on your evidence
    Are we ungrateful?
    jesus, i hate this word 'ungreatful'

2 cents over and out
    see you next tuesday

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy10 View Post
    Are we ungrateful?
    Well this is a question to open up a can of worms! I've had an ol gawk at this thread and can't help but give my 2 cent. Short anwer is Yes, long answer is Yes with a But.
    Anyone who knows their history will know of the immense good the church did for this country over hundreds of years, back when people weren't morally and spiritually guided by their television and not everyone was an armchair psychologist. Look at their contribution to the poor, the sick. Look at their contribution to uniting the irish people behind our leaders who would eventually gain sovereign independence (well maybe not Parnell!)
    Then again, look at our 1938 constitution, half written by the church which, ultra conservative, oppressing women and generally speaking, extinguishing the hopes people had had of liberation 20 years prior. Not going to talk about the abuse, it's already been covered on this thread. Yes the Roman Catholic Church is a corrupt organisation, so are most governments or any organisation that's that big. I for one can't think of an organisation that large which hasn't succumbed to some type of corruption so to think that the Church would be any different is naive.

You really have to take the good with the bad when looking at this question. A decent analogy is to look at their work in Africa. Most will agree that their policy on contraception is completely ridiculous in this day and age, especially in Africa it just seems ludicrous. So would Africa be better off if they werent there at all? Of course not, they do so much good. It would be better if they altered their contraception policy over there but we know that won't happen so we just have to accept it on the whole and appreciate the good that they do without alluding to the "what ifs"

One thing i'll add completely off the point is.. I'm spiritual, not religious. You'll never catch me in a church barring weddings/funerals but it really does piss me off when i see non-religious people who feel the need to slag and ridicule those who have faith. Jehova Witnesses are annoying in that they try to spread their doctrine but i see no difference from that to people that try to convince others of the idiocy of being devout.

So back to the original question (i tihnk this post is way too long) Would Ireland be better off if the Church had never set foot in Ireland? Of course not, and if you disagree with this I would argue that your view is either ill informed or has been distorted by the attrocities committed in the last 50+ years. So yes, we should be greatful for the GOOD they've done and hold them accountable for the bad.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChiefHandker For This Useful Post:

bhoywonder (12-11-10)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefHandker View Post
    So yes, we should be greatful for the GOOD they've done and hold them accountable for the bad.
    well said!
    see you next tuesday

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678