Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something i dont get (hint i dont get lots of things but really this takes the bicy.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Something i dont get (hint i dont get lots of things but really this takes the bicy.

Picture this, howling winds, torrential rainfall with sleet.your in for the night, stick inside and you......................

cant light a fire because you blocked the bloody thing up? Whats wrong with ppl? With all of the rising fuel prices why in gods name block up a fireplace? I mean whats the bloody point? An open fire cant be beat.

you have heat by convection and radiation. Heat by convection is most appliances. It hears the air. Radiation is an open fire.It heats everything close to it, from the floor to your chair etc.

An open fire is great and you can even out the lights and still see and for all the romantics out there its romantic too.

Stop blocking your f'n fireplaces,
    Westside.

PS it vents the bloody house too.

Reviews

Alot of the houses that were built in the last few years have no chimney. These people regretted it after the cold winter we had last year. You can have gas/electric fires, central heating but theres nothing as good as an open fire. If you have your house well insulated it's very good.
    Help Keyla in her fight with cancer. Every little helps.
    It could happen to any of us.
    https://gofund.me/8e340537

Reviews

I knew this was the case but wanted something to back me up so I copied this extract from an online article.

A fireplace may look warm and cozy; but, all things considered, it tends to be relatively inefficient for home heating. Believe it or not, fireplace efficiencies typically range from plus 10% to minus 10%. The negative efficiency results from the fire sucking heated air from inside the home to fuel combustion. This air is then vented up the chimney, which pulls cold outside air into the home through the small cracks around windows and doors.

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    I knew this was the case but wanted something to back me up so I copied this extract from an online article.

A fireplace may look warm and cozy; but, all things considered, it tends to be relatively inefficient for home heating. Believe it or not, fireplace efficiencies typically range from plus 10% to minus 10%. The negative efficiency results from the fire sucking heated air from inside the home to fuel combustion. This air is then vented up the chimney, which pulls cold outside air into the home through the small cracks around windows and doors.
    That is true. My old house had an open fire. When there was no fire lit you could feel gusts of wind coming through the chimney. That is to say nothing of the coal dust, grime, birds getting caught down your chimney and the constant coating of grime on the hearth. Viva la central heating.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Chambers For This Useful Post:

magicalman9357 (23-10-10)

Reviews

This used to happen with my chimney. Then I got my attic and walls insultated a few years ago and it done the trick. Theres no draft coming through now.

A fireplace doesn't heaten the whole house of course. But it's a good supplement along with central heating to heaten your sitting room and/or kitchen.
    Last edited by thehighwayman; 23-10-10 at 19:22.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thehighwayman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

It depends on the U value of the construction materials and methods used to insulate around the edges of fixtures like windows and doors etc.. These new houses are shit in most cases imho.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 23-10-10 at 19:36.

Blog Entries

All I can say is thank God for central heating. Used coal fires for many years and what a mess they are. Ruin the wallpaper, paintwork, everything in the room. Having said that it is a lovely warm feeling and hard to the look of a coal fire but so glad things have progressed. By the way have you any idea how much a bag of coal costs now?
    Last edited by thehighwayman; 23-10-10 at 19:15. Reason: mistake sorry

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by magicalman9357 View Post
    All I can say is thank God for central heating. Used coal fires for many years and what a mess they are. Ruin the wallpaper, paintwork, everything in the room. Having said that it is a lovely warm feeling and hard to the look of a coal fire but so glad things have progressed. By the way have you any idea how much a bag of coal costs now?
    Some us still use peat so it costs very little. You need very little coal when you use peat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thehighwayman For This Useful Post:

DONEGALANGEL (23-10-10)

Blog Entries

Thanks for that. Being from the City I really didn't know.

hey highwayman nothing as nice as the smell of peat burning....x

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DONEGALANGEL For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast