Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ip conflict

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KellyCurvybabe View Post
    me laptop keeps talling me theres an ip conflict

the conection shows up fine but i only get a few seconds internet us till i have to disconect and reconect

how do i solve this problem
    theres no help faq about ip confilect in me lap top
    Kelly???

Are you still there???

Have we lost you???
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Blog Entries

ok off to get a roleken when im back il give it a go

thanks dudes and sexy lady for the advice
    Kelly if you are on an O2 dongle try this........

You need to disconnect, then go to your connection manager, or click in the O2 icon, go to Tools -> Options -> General, change the Modem type from NDIS to RAS or visa versa depending which is active at the moment and try to reconnect............
    L

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Violette View Post
    But no monkeys were hurt.
    Thankfully.... no

Reviews

It would help if we knew a little more about your internet connection. Are you plugging a network cable into the laptop, using a wireless LAN (aka WiFi) or are you using a 3G modem that goes over the mobile phone network?

I think that you will most commonly see this error if you are using a wireless LAN or a network cable.

When you boot the computer, or plug in the cable or turn on the wireless LAN, your computer will try to find a router to connect to. When it finds a router, it asks it if it can connect to the internet with the router and, if the answer is yes, it then asks how to connect. The answer to that second question is a whole lot of techie stuff and it includes an ip address. That address is then yours and no other computer connected to that router will have the same address. Every time that your computer tries to send something to the internet, it uses that ip address as the 'from' address and sends some data off to the router which will route it out onto the net. When something comes back and it is for you then the router will send it out with your ip address as the 'to' address and your computer will recognize that the message is for you.

Sometimes, things go wrong and you end up with two computers on the local network that are using the same ip address. Then when the other guy sends a message, your computer will see a message that you did not transmit but which has your ip address as the 'from' address. Your computer then knows that there is some other computer using the same address as you and it gives you the ip conflict error message.

What can cause it and how can you fix it?

1) The router is telling lots of computers that they can use the same ip address. This usually happens when the router has been left on for a long time and its software starts to to fail because of a bug. The solution is to turn off the router, wait for a minute and then turn it back on again.

2) Another computer is using the wrong address. Many things can cause this. The other computer may be set up to use a certain address and not to ask which is OK to use. The other computer may have been given the address a long time ago but then was left turned on but not doing anything - the router would then assume that the address that it had been given was now free to be given to another computer. The other computer may not be respecting the time for which it had been given the address. When a router gives you an address, it tells you that it is yours to use for (say) 24 hours. After that time, your computer is supposed to go back and ask again. Some computers with badly written networking software (the technical term is "ones running windows") do not respect this and just keep on using the address for ever not caring that somebody else may have been given it. The solution is to find the other computer and turn it off.

If you are in an apartment with a router on a DSL connection then it should be easy to fix either of those problems.

If you are in an hotel with shared wireless LAN for all guests then this will be a lot harder and you willl need to get help from the hotel staff.

If you are in an apartment with internet bundled with cable then you will most likely have to talk to the folks supplying that service and hope that they can fix it via their helpline.

3) This option is unlikely unless you have some very dodgy and skilled folks nearby. Somebody is trying to set up their computer to pretend to be yours. This could happen if you are in an hotel that charges extra for using their wireless LAN and some dude is trying to get free connections by impersonating other computers that have paid for the service.

4) It could be that your computer is wrongly configured but unless somebody has been fooling about with the network settings then this is unlikely.

Blog Entries

the conection shows up fine but i only get a few seconds internet us till i have to disconect and reconect

how do i solve this problem
    theres no help faq about ip confilect in me lap top
    Laptops are a mess, pcs are better. They seem to last longer with less hassle. It sounds like what reads the severs on your laptop isnt reading them right. I know this makes no sense. The thing is you can get online obviously as you wouldnt be posting this if you couldnt so it could be just a small hic cup and nothing to take any great notice off.

Westside.

lucy's advice seems to have fixed it

i uninstalled the dongle and installed it again and no ip conflict notice and no getting kicked off the net

yeepee im all fixed

lucy you genious
    thanks for all the help guys
    You are welcome, sweetie
    Last edited by lucy chambers; 23-10-10 at 12:22.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Blog Entries

lucy's advice seems to have fixed it

i uninstalled the dongle and installed it again and no ip conflict notice and no getting kicked off the net

yeepee im all fixed

lucy you genious
    thanks for all the help guys
    Don't lie, it was what I told you to do wasn't it???

Wasn't it???

Admit it!!!

Lies make baby Jesus cry you know........
    L

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    Don't lie, it was what I told you to do wasn't it???

Wasn't it???

Admit it!!!

Lies make baby Jesus cry you know........
    Now now. I know you guys like to make the simplest things seem complicated, but there is no need for tantrums.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    you guys like to make the simplest things seem complicated.
    Is that why we end up thinking women are complicated???

Cause they're actaully.....................

Tee hee hee........
    L

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    Is that why we end up thinking women are complicated???

Cause they're actaully.....................

Tee hee hee........
    ....actually? Mmm. Looks like I am having Luther for supper.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast