Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: car service

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lfccork View Post
    You dont have to go to a main dealer to get it done had a laguna and dealer wanted 800 euro to change it got it done for 400 at local mechanic.
    yes that the kinda price i had in my mind

Reviews

Around 5 yrs ago the timing belt snapped on a car i had . There were two options , a new engine or a rebuild . Went for the rebuild and it set me back 1400 big ones . Engine replaced would have cost much less , don't know why i opted for the rebuild !

These days you spend so much time idling in traffic , that the excessive wear and tear takes it's toll quicker on the timing belt , so if you have done 50-60,000 miles in a petrol car , it's a must that the belt gets changed irragardless of what the manufacturer says
    I have no signature at the moment

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rimmerguy For This Useful Post:

Dirty Harry (12-10-10)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    hi lads and ladies what do you think i got this letter from the main VW car dealer where i bought my car i bought the car new 5 years ago but because the main dealer was so expensive for the maintenance i get the same job done with another guy for less than half the price...anyway i know my timing belt is due a change at 120km ..but because my car is 5 years old the main dealers sent me a scary letter ... saying that even though my cars kilometers are still low my timeing belt should be automatically changed regardless of the miles ....are they taking the piss or what you think?
    Yes they are taking the piss. The timing belt is like your heart. It could go anytime and has nothign to do with milege although the likihood of it going with greater milege is higher. This is the main dealer spouting for business. Get the guy that does your car to check it out. You should hear it if its starting to go.

Westside.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Westsidex For This Useful Post:

Dirty Harry (12-10-10)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

hi lads and ladies what do you think i got this letter from the main VW car dealer where i bought my car i bought the car new 5 years ago but because the main dealer was so expensive for the maintenance i get the same job done with another guy for less than half the price...anyway i know my timing belt is due a change at 120km ..but because my car is 5 years old the main dealers sent me a scary letter ... saying that even though my cars kilometers are still low my timeing belt should be automatically changed regardless of the miles ....are they taking the piss or what you think?
    harry just of phone with my machanic your car is due timing belt.if your going to keep the car he advices to get it done soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dr love For This Useful Post:

Dirty Harry (12-10-10)

The klicks on the clock are not the only issue. Because of the material the belt is made from it has a "time life" as well as a "mileage life". Get it done it will save you a fortune in the long run. But as its a VW you should also probably change the Water Pump at the same time. They are kinda integreated on most VW engines. No need to go to main dealer. Buy the parts in a local motor factor. They will probably require the engine code but will have everything you need including the water pump in one kit. Then get your local mechanic / garage to fit them. Of course they may get the parts for you also but make sure you get a price yourself first.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lcilis26 For This Useful Post:

Dirty Harry (12-10-10)

It's crucial that u get the timing belt changed at the manufacturer's recommended interval, otherwise when it breaks, there is no cheap fix - new engine required or expensive rebuild. Any competent mechanic can do it, so stay away from the dealers, who'll charge u a fortune and outsource it to the wee man in the backstreet anyway, cos the mechanics at the dealers know dick about cars

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddii For This Useful Post:

Dirty Harry (12-10-10)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

It's an automated standard letter. Go back to the mechanic that serviced it in August and ask his opinion.
    But if you do a lot of driving, it would be best to do it sooner than later.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

Reviews

harry

the timing belt needs to be changed on most cars (unless its chain ) To be on the safe side i would change it .I had two good mates and both their belts went at 62k miles and both should have been changed at 60k. For piece of mind its worth getting it done . Its like insurance we might never need it but we have to pay . I got mine done by main dealer last year and it cost me 1650 euro but then i drive a monster and my own mechanic wouldnt touch it (the wimp) lol

the belt might not be due on milage, but has gone past the 5 year time limit, the timing belt might be crackeing or perrishing..
    get it done, as said before side of the road garage is cheaper and more or less the same thing as main dealer..

local motor factors- timing belt kit, and water pump. depends on what you drive anything from 150-200euro.

backstreet mechanic- labour, 100-150.

know a friend that got hers done for 300. dont forget check the tyres the winter is nearly here!! (is here)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I'd get it done. It's not worth the risk.
    On the last generation Passat the whole front of the car had to be opened to do it, but don't know if this applies to the latest version. i.e. remove bumper, loosen and turn down radiator. Just a bit long-winded really - not complicated.
    Personally I'd get genuine VW parts. Generic ones can be a false economy. But that's just my opinion.
    As said already get the water pump done. With all the ripping involved it'd crazy not to do it at the same time.
    Fcuk the dealers they're daylight robbers and they could put some 1st year apprentice at it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast