Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loosing your phone or a valuable belonging?

Reviews

Default Loosing your phone or a valuable belonging?

I often wondered about this, your in a pub or restaurant / cafe and you leave or go to the toilet forgetting your phone which is sitting on the table, when you return it's gone; is the pub / cafe responsible? I know most would just say I didn't see it or sorry it's not our responsibility but is that actually true, it was stolen on their premises, they have insurance against theift, if you pushed the matter with a solicitors letter or an application to the small claims court would they just give you the money for it instead of all the hassle.
    The reason I'm thinking this is because I saw a lady kicking up blue murder in a take away yesterday because she claimed to have left her phone on the counter to take money out of her purse and forgot to pick it back up, when she returned it was gone, the girl behind the counter was just blanking her saying sorry I didn't see it but this girl wasn't backing down, she wanted her phone, didn't stay long enough to see what the end result was, sorry to judge but this girl didn't seem to be of very good character and to me was up to something no good IMO..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    I often wondered about this, your in a pub or restaurant / cafe and you leave or go to the toilet forgetting your phone which is sitting on the table, when you return it's gone; is the pub / cafe responsible? I know most would just say I didn't see it or sorry it's not our responsibility but is that actually true, it was stolen on their premises, they have insurance against theift, if you pushed the matter with a solicitors letter or an application to the small claims court would they just give you the money for it instead of all the hassle.
    The reason I'm thinking this is because I saw a lady kicking up blue murder in a take away yesterday because she claimed to have left her phone on the counter to take money out of her purse and forgot to pick it back up, when she returned it was gone, the girl behind the counter was just blanking her saying sorry I didn't see it but this girl wasn't backing down, she wanted her phone, didn't stay long enough to see what the end result was, sorry to judge but this girl didn't seem to be of very good character and to me was up to something no good IMO..
    Waste of time. The owners are not responsible for the behavior of anyone within reason and a person letting their mobile on a table and the mobile being stolen would be well within this reason. Once all precautions are in place, cctv and any expected security on whatever premises it may be, then its your own responsibility after that. It would be like saying if a person gets a heart attack then the owners are responsible.

doubt it,
    Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 21-09-10 at 16:55.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Waste of time. The owners are not responsible for the behaviour of anyone within reason and a person letting their mobile on a table and the mobile being stolen would be well within this reason. Once all precautions are in place, cctv and any expected security on whatever premises it may be, then its your own responsibility after that. It would be like saying if a person gets a heart attack then the owners are responsible.

doubt it,
    Westside.
    Ye I know, but my point is if you were persistent, not back down, send them a letter saying you are going to claim, the owner of the premises is under contract with the insurance company to inform them of any possible claim and in turn they always set aside an amount on their books to cover such a claim should it arise which in turn does effect your next years premium if it hasn't been settled, so would they pay to save all the hassle for the sake of a few hundred quid, I know I would especially if they were really persistent..

Blog Entries

Ye I know, but my point is if you were persistent, not back down, send them a letter saying you are going to claim, the owner of the premises is under contract with the insurance company to inform them of any possible claim and in turn they always set aside an amount on their books to cover such a claim should it arise which in turn does effect your next years premium if it hasn't been settled, so would they pay to save all the hassle for the sake of a few hundred quid, I know I would especially if they were really persistent..
    Depends on the kind of owner. Id tell you piss off but some might cough up. Very few would as why should they?

Westside.

Ps i doubt someones mobile being stolen because of their own neglect is the kind of claim the insurance cos have in mind here.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 21-09-10 at 17:07.

Reviews

That sort of persistance Anon, would cost a fortune in legal fees before it died

Reviews

Show her the cctv footage. If she made the whole thing up, kick the shit out of her. But knock the security cameras off first. lol

Reviews

I would say that mostly she would be on a loser.

But ....

She may be preying on vulnerabilities. Maybe the owner does not want attention drawn to his/her business for a variety of reasons - tax, insurance, licences, certificates, and so on. Maybe 1 in 5, or 2 in 5, businesses are in this category and may just pay up.
    The Gods are just, and of our pleasant vices
    Make instruments to plague us

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by scotus View Post
    I would say that mostly she would be on a loser.

But ....

She may be preying on vulnerabilities. Maybe the owner does not want attention drawn to his/her business for a variety of reasons - tax, insurance, licences, certificates, and so on. Maybe 1 in 5, or 2 in 5, businesses are in this category and may just pay up.
    Thats what I was thinking..

Reviews

No business would accept responsibility for items left on or lost on their premises. If there was proof of theft that might be a little different and some businesses might offer some compensation as a PR gesture. I remember one instance of a lady raising blue murder because she said she had left her car keys on the counter while she was paying for her goods and somebody had stolen them. She actually accused a staff member, wanted to see cctv footage and the gardai called. I asked her was she sure she'd had her keys in the first place and she nearly cut me in half. I couldn't see anything on the cctv footage and after much shouting abd roaring, I eventually persuaded her to go and check her car. Guess what, she had left the keys in the ignition. The oul'd bag didn't have the manners to apologise.

Reviews

I worded it nicely in my first post but this girl looked like a real scumbag, with a couple more standing outside the door, throw in the intimidation factor and I wonder what success rate she would have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast