Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question/Advice regarding Social Welfare

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews

Default Question/Advice regarding Social Welfare

Last Monday i had an interview for a job, and being unemployed i collected my dole on Tuesday as i do every Tuesday. I was told on Monday that i would be brought in on Thursday & Friday for 2 days training and see how i got on, which was the last 2 days and i got on quite well thankfully. I'm working all next week (hopefully, touch wood) but we get paid every 2 weeks and that means that it will be next Friday week that i get paid (other staff got paid yesterday). But i'm hoping to collect my dole money next tuesday aswell, even though i'm working, but i will need that €196 to get me through all of next week and the following week, (i have alot of travel expenses to try pay for and find a new place to live to be close to the job), from tuesday until the following friday when i get paid, so 10 days. But then when i go to sign off the dole, maybe about thursday or friday of next week (2 or 3 days after collecting my last payment) i go to social welfare and sign off, if they ask or if i am given a form to fill out and am asked when my work started on, should i just say that it started about 2 days before hand and not over a week before that? Will i get away with it or will i get found out? And if i do get found out what exactly will happen? If its a case of just having to pay back the extra €196 that i got that week then i will have no problem paying it back, its just that i need it to cover myself for the next week and a bit until payment day. Will i be ok or will i get slaughtered for it?
    Last edited by Rod Stewart; 18-09-10 at 23:57.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stewart View Post
    Last Monday i had an interview for a job, and being unemployed i collected my dole on Tuesday as i do every Tuesday. I was told on Monday that i would be brought in on Thursday & Friday for 2 days training and see how i got on, which was the last 2 days and i got on quite well thankfully. I'm working all next week (hopefully, touch wood) but we get paid every 2 weeks and that means that it will be next Friday week that i get paid (other staff got paid yesterday). But i'm hoping to collect my dole money next tuesday aswell, even though i'm working, but i will need that €196 to get me through all of next week and the following week, (i have alot of travel expenses to try pay for and find a new place to live to be close to the job), from tuesday until the following friday when i get paid, so 10 days. But then when i go to sign off the dole, maybe about thursday or friday of next week (2 or 3 days after collecting my last payment) i go to social welfare and sign off, if they ask or if i am given a form to fill out and am asked when my work started on, should i just say that it started about 2 days before hand and not over a week before that? Will i get away with it or will i get found out? And if i do get found out what exactly will happen? If its a case of just having to pay back the extra €196 that i got that week then i will have no problem paying it back, its just that i need it to cover myself for the next week and a bit until payment day. Will i be ok or will i get slaughtered for it?
    I believe u shall be slaughtered
    Last edited by An don; 18-09-10 at 23:59.

Blog Entries

I never claimed dole in Ireland, but as far as I know the dole is paid weekly in arrears. That means in the first week you're working are suppose to get your dole anyway. Then, if you start working during the week, you might be also entitled next week for a couple of days.

That's what I am thinking anyway, I really hope I am not wrong because I would hate to give you a wrong idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual Delights View Post
    first week you're working are suppose to get your dole anyway.
    Three days i think. I dont think you get the full week.

Westside.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Congrats on the new job Rod. Hope it becomes permanent.
    Do they operate a 'back-week' for Social Welfare payments? If they did, the payment you get next Tuesday would be for last week when you were still unemployed, so you would have done nothing wrong.
    Btw, if you are working all next week, how are you going to be able to sign on anyway?

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

Reviews

thanks for the replies people. I finish work at 4 so hopefully i'll make it to the post office before they close at 5.30pm and its in 2 different towns with about 20-25 miles apart, so i will be bussing it, leaving there at 4.30pm and hope get to my current town at 5.20 to run to post office to collect it. I wouldn't normally do it only that i only have €30 left which is supposed to do me for another 2 weeks? With bus fares of €10 each day, b&b's for a few nights for €45 and €50 a time (i have to get b&b cos i am working early in morning and no bus wud get me there on time, taxi charge €40-€50 aswell and i don't want that unless i'm stuck) But that €30 ain't gonna last me, it will be nearly gone by 2moro, i have food.lunch etc to buy also, aswell as the bus fares and accomodation.
    I hope i don't get strung up by the short and curleys

Reviews

If you were unemployed for more than 6 months your employer can fill out a form and be exempt from paying prsi for you for the first year, bit of an incentive to get people back to work, doesn't really answer your question but might get you extra brownie points with your new boss if he os she doesn't already know..

Blog Entries
    Reviews

thanks for the replies people. I finish work at 4 so hopefully i'll make it to the post office before they close at 5.30pm and its in 2 different towns with about 20-25 miles apart, so i will be bussing it, leaving there at 4.30pm and hope get to my current town at 5.20 to run to post office to collect it. I wouldn't normally do it only that i only have €30 left which is supposed to do me for another 2 weeks? With bus fares of €10 each day, b&b's for a few nights for €45 and €50 a time (i have to get b&b cos i am working early in morning and no bus wud get me there on time, taxi charge €40-€50 aswell and i don't want that unless i'm stuck) But that €30 ain't gonna last me, it will be nearly gone by 2moro, i have food.lunch etc to buy also, aswell as the bus fares and accomodation.
    Its going to be bloody expensive for you. You better get yourself some transport or find someone with a car that works in the new place that lives near you and share the travel costs.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

Blog Entries

jesus rod they are some nasty expenses but i wish you all the best with the new job. I'd advise you to call the social welfare and explain your dilemma, when people I know have been trying to return to work in the past the social welfare have helped as best they could, they are one of the only govt offices to realise that spending a little more now will save them in the long run

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by monster_monster View Post
    jesus rod they are some nasty expenses but i wish you all the best with the new job. I'd advise you to call the social welfare and explain your dilemma, when people I know have been trying to return to work in the past the social welfare have helped as best they could, they are one of the only govt offices to realise that spending a little more now will save them in the long run
    Or they might refer you to a community welfare officer who can hand out cash over and above what the social can under special circumstances..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

monster_monster (19-09-10)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast