Thread: Why the sur-charge on Phone Credit??

Reviews

Default Why the sur-charge on Phone Credit??

Well whats the reason? Not every shop but alot of shops charge extra when you purchase phone credit, for example you could purchase €5 Vodafone credit, and you get charged €5.20, or if you ask for €10 credit you are charged €10.40 or€10.50, and i've heard from a few people that if you buy €20 credit that you are charged anything from €20.50 to €21...a full extra euro!!! This is a f*cking rip off. I know its only 20 cent and 40 cent but we don't get the extra 20 or 40 cent in credit, it goes to the shop who's providing it, and then when it gets to 60c or 80c or even a full euro its a bloody disgrace. It is not illegal but i think it should be, not all shops do it and its up to the retailer so they are pure stupid for doing this.

Same with the plastic bag levy, 22 cent for a plastic bag levy (started at 15 cent when it was introduced 5 or 6 years ago), some places now charging 25 cent for it, 2 shops in particular....whats all that about??!

Reviews

as you said in the OP, its only a few cents.

Blog Entries

The profit margin on phone credit is in the single digits, depending on the retailers supplier. They're just adding on extra to increase the margin and profit. No other reason..........

Regardless of how much a shop charges for a plastic bag, only 22c of it is for the levy. If another shop in charging more they're trying to make money on the bags, or cover the cost of supplying them...........

Short answer, greed..........

Having said that, I have no problem with the bag levy, there was even talks of upping it to about 44c I think..............
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stewart View Post
    Well whats the reason? Not every shop but alot of shops charge extra when you purchase phone credit, for example you could purchase €5 Vodafone credit, and you get charged €5.20, or if you ask for €10 credit you are charged €10.40 or€10.50, and i've heard from a few people that if you buy €20 credit that you are charged anything from €20.50 to €21...a full extra euro!!! This is a f*cking rip off. I know its only 20 cent and 40 cent but we don't get the extra 20 or 40 cent in credit, it goes to the shop who's providing it, and then when it gets to 60c or 80c or even a full euro its a bloody disgrace. It is not illegal but i think it should be, not all shops do it and its up to the retailer so they are pure stupid for doing this.

Same with the plastic bag levy, 22 cent for a plastic bag levy (started at 15 cent when it was introduced 5 or 6 years ago), some places now charging 25 cent for it, 2 shops in particular....whats all that about??!
    i think its 5euro and charge 5.25 or 10euro and charge 10.50 and the bettrer its 20euro and charge 21
    Keep Calm and Call Batman

Reviews

i think i was charged €2 extra one time when i bought 20€ credit. Now THAT was lame.

Reviews

Its because were Irish hence the pharse " thats a bit Irish".

Reviews

Maybe there is collusion between the girls and the retailers ?

At an average of 4 call per punt. 1 to book, 2 to say I'm where you told me to ring you from, 3 to get the real directions and 4 to be the paranoid lad walking through an apartment complex thinking everyone sees me and knows why I am here !!!!

The great conspiracy... O2, Vodafone, gorgeous girls and Harry the shopkeeper ???????????

ps. If you want to influence change:

1. In your loudest voice in the store charging a surcharge scream - WHAT a FUCKIN' RIP-OFF
    2. Go to the next store 3 doors away that doesn't charge a surcharge.

Do this 420 times and enjoy 1 free punt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviews

doesn't dunnes charge 70c for a bag now, albeit of better quality, but still this is a major rip off?
    see you next tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stewart View Post

the phone levy is in case some tool books 2 one way tickets from dublin .....sorry mate lol

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    the phone levy is in case some tool books 2 one way tickets from dublin .....sorry mate lol
    Smart f*cker!