Thread: PEP/ Sexual Health/HIV

Default PEP/ Sexual Health/HIV

Hi all

Have you ever had a split condom?

Are you aware of PEP? PEP stands for Post Exposure Prophylaxis, it is a month long course of drugs that can prevent the HIV virus forming. However, it is only effective is this treatment is commenced within 4-72 hours of sexual activity. If you have an accident, and most particularly an accident after receptive anal, then you may want to go and consider asking your local A&E, also I think the private clinics may be able to supply it. The side effects are apparently unpleasant, but the treatment is proving effective.

Hope that is useful, i will disappear now!

Lucy x
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lucy Chambers For This Useful Post:

Gaylord (18-08-10), naughty_g5 (18-08-10), Rayden (18-08-10)

Reviews

this is very good information. I wonder why governments don't advertise.
    ----------------------------------------------
    I'm a creep,
    I'm a weirdo
    What the hell am I doin' here?
    I don't belong here

Reviews

i remember hearing about this. Pity it is not more widely known about. Thankfully i have never been in a split condom situation.

GREAT thread Lucy, just don't rely to heavily on this course of drugs (Always check condoms during sex, and remember to ensure there is no air @ the top, also use PLENTY of water based lubricant.

To be most effective, treatment should begin within an hour of possible infection.

While there is compelling data to suggest that PEP after HIV exposure is effective, there have been cases where it has failed. Failure has often been attributed to the delay in receiving treatment, the level of exposure (i.e., the viral load received), or both. However, for non-occupational exposures, the time and level of exposure are based on patient-supplied information; absolute data is therefore unavailable.

PEP can also slow down the development of antibodies, potentially causing false negatives on a later HIV test. Doctors will advise patients who received PEP to get a test at 6 months post-exposure as well as the standard 3 month test.

Side effects: including malaise (general feeling of being unwell), fatigue, diarrhea, headache, nausea and vomiting

GL ref: (Lucy)
    Last edited by Gaylord; 18-08-10 at 21:13.
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"